BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Painting pannier lids Empty Painting pannier lids on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Just picked up a pair of panniers for £31 on eBay this evening.
They're the standard black type but wondered if anyone had had any success colour matching the lids to the paintwork.
My LT panniers were matched and as I have some paint left I would like to match them to this one too.
There was a thread a couple of years ago on the subject but it was never continued.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

2Back to top Go down   Painting pannier lids Empty Re: Painting pannier lids on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:18 pm

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
I have just finishe doing a pair of lids for the K75. I did them in acrilic with acrilic undercoat and they ae fine.
The main thing I have found with repainting anything like that is to give them a good scrub using Prepsol to get rid of any silicone because we all know what happens if there is any of that stuff left.
The back section where it is left black I rejuvenated using the bumperbar paint like Halo has been using on his plastic bits and they now look tops.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

3Back to top Go down   Painting pannier lids Empty Re: Painting pannier lids on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:15 am

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
I've been thinking about this for a few years.. Had my rear brake reservoir let go one day, covering the right-side pannier with permanent white streaks. And now last weekend my car sprung an oil leak while towing the bike home, and covered the left-side pannier with similar streaks. Sigh.

I'm curious what folks did about the knobly surface of the panniers? Did you just paint it and leave it knobly? Or did you use a thick undercoat with a bunch of coats, and build it up and sand it back to smooth?

Thanks,

Damien

4Back to top Go down   Painting pannier lids Empty Re: Painting pannier lids on Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:03 am

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
I just finished doing a set of panniers for the K75 (just waiting for new locks) case lid with acrilic to match the bike and the base with Bumper bar paint. Motospray make it and the first coat is called flexi prime it's clear and when you put it on it appeard a bit strange but when it dries completly it just makes the shagged old surface a bit shiny but when you put the bumper paint on over the flexi coat it comes up a real treat.
I also did my old squars Givi top box and panniers for the K1100 with black bumper paint and they look absolutely tops. I have had one person say "I didnt know you could still get them new". You can get them new but these are 15 years old and used to be grey.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

5Back to top Go down   Painting pannier lids Empty Re: Painting pannier lids on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:40 am

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
Hey Rick,

I've been doing one of my panniers up with the Motospray paints. Was all good until I went to do one more top-coat, and the damned thing turned grey?! I gave it a quick sand tonight, washed with prepsol, and then sprayed another coat on it. And the coat as it dried turned grey!

I'm wondering if it's just something to do with the bottom of the can??

6Back to top Go down   Painting pannier lids Empty Re: Painting pannier lids on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:01 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
have you guys tried "acrylic bumper spray " from 3m ....works great and looks good

there are a few post about this through the forum

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OPainting pannier lids Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..

7Back to top Go down   Painting pannier lids Empty Re: Painting pannier lids on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:28 am

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
@Rendrag wrote:Hey Rick,

I've been doing one of my panniers up with the Motospray paints. Was all good until I went to do one more top-coat, and the damned thing turned grey?! I gave it a quick sand tonight, washed with prepsol, and then sprayed another coat on it. And the coat as it dried turned grey!

I'm wondering if it's just something to do with the bottom of the can??

Cripes haven seen that. Usually something like that is temperature related like too cold but not this time of year. Possibly humidity with all the rain lately.

8Back to top Go down   Painting pannier lids Empty Re: Painting pannier lids on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
@Rick G wrote:
Cripes haven seen that. Usually something like that is temperature related like too cold but not this time of year. Possibly humidity with all the rain lately.

Looks like you were spot on! I resprayed it last night, with spray can in one hand, and my heat gun in the other hand - and then making sure to keep the whole thing heated until the paint had dried (touch dry in 3 minutes, not bad Wink ). Went out this morning to check on it, and it looks fantastic!

Now I just have to do the other side!

9Back to top Go down   Painting pannier lids Empty Re: Painting pannier lids on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:43 pm

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
When I purchased my bike last year it seems someone had painted both the lids and the body’s (Baja Red). This I didn't like, especially after looking at a few other bikes.

Checked with a local body shop to see what it would cost to remove paint from the body’s, and Whoowh! That's pricey!

So, decided instead to just paint them over black. Same difference! Rolling Eyes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum