BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   How to repair a leaking fuel tank? Empty How to repair a leaking fuel tank? on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi all,

My 1984 K100 has been up and running for a month or more now - after finally getting it registered in the UK. It's running well, but there is a small leak from the fuel tank (front bottom left-hand side before the lower seam).

This is a leak that had been repaired before.

Should I repair this from inside or out?

What is the best method/material for the job?

Will post some pics - there's an odd fairing on my bike! Wonder if anyone else has one.

Best,
Neal

2Back to top Go down   How to repair a leaking fuel tank? Empty Re: How to repair a leaking fuel tank? on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:33 pm

downssm

downssm
Silver member
Silver member
Hey Neal, Hi!

My 88 was repaired with JB weld on both sides when I bought it. It looked to have been on there a long time, since it had been painted over. I replaced my tank but who know how long it would have lasted... A good welder can fix it easily with a TIG machine also, once it's cleaned out. I don't know about sealing the inside. Maybe someone else can say how that works.

Luck!
Steve

3Back to top Go down   How to repair a leaking fuel tank? Empty Re: How to repair a leaking fuel tank? on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:57 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Neal,
There are two ways to fix this, internally and externally. The internal fix uses a resin which coats the whole tank interior and works really well. My pal's Suzuki Intruder tank rusted out and had a big hole. A patch was fitted and brazed in and the tank treated and is now perfect again plus protected from further problems. My K bike tank had a small spot where it was getting damp with petrol and I used Permatex kneadable petrol tank sealer. I took the tank off, cleaned the area and with the tank positioned so there was no pressure pressed a blob into place firmly. It sets very hard and has not leaked at all since. I know several people who have used that and a similar Loctite product.
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   How to repair a leaking fuel tank? Empty Re: How to repair a leaking fuel tank? on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:36 am

Great thank you!
Neal

5Back to top Go down   How to repair a leaking fuel tank? Empty Re: How to repair a leaking fuel tank? on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:49 am

the mule

the mule
Hi neal

Just discovered I had a 3mm hole in the tank immediately underneath where the fuel pump sits just inside the seam. After reading this thread and others on flyingbrick website and general google search on various products available went with the Permatex GTR 1 Gas Tank and Radiator Repair kit. $8. Only used 10mm piece off the roll. They claim it sets hard within 5 minutes and can be drilled machined etc in 2 hrs is pretty accurate too as it set hard as a rock. The Full cure time indicated is 24hrs and unlike some of the other products claimed suitable it is impervious to fuel deisel oils detergents etc. not merely resistant.

https://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/the_mule/

6Back to top Go down   How to repair a leaking fuel tank? Empty fuel tank leakage on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:25 am

chris.edwards2

chris.edwards2
I'm in the UK. I've repaired my  fuel K100 tank with putty twice. First time lasted 5 years. Second time 5 months. Second time I cleaned the area scrupulously. I used Granville repair putty. I have been told that the latest petrol additives in the UK are much more reactive and aggressive. I know this as my fibreglass tank on my old BSA became very porous a few back after 40 years of ownership! So does anyone know of a putty that will work for a decent time with current petrol? (None of the ads seem to mention this)

7Back to top Go down   How to repair a leaking fuel tank? Empty Re: How to repair a leaking fuel tank? on Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:51 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
The following has been around for years (notsuitabel for plastic or fibreglass tanks though)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Por-15-Sealer-Repair-prevention-236ml/dp/B00APFN1YM

Supposed to be o.k. for use with high ethanol fuel.

Mike

8Back to top Go down   How to repair a leaking fuel tank? Empty Re: How to repair a leaking fuel tank? on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:04 am

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member

9Back to top Go down   How to repair a leaking fuel tank? Empty fuel tank leakage on Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:02 pm

chris.edwards2

chris.edwards2
Thank you both. I hadn't thought of the low temp brazing option, although have come across it years back. Never done it tho'~. I'll strip the tank down and decide when its bare, cheers

10Back to top Go down   How to repair a leaking fuel tank? Empty Re: How to repair a leaking fuel tank? on Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:50 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Neal You don't say if the tank is Alloy or steel but i would think Allo on this year.low temp Alloy welding/brazing is a first class repair. For safety rig up a steam feed to the inside of the tank to prevent igniting of fumes,simple is best ie kettle with rubber tubing works well. Smile Smile
N/B good videos on utube

Just remembered Liquid Metal developed for the military impervious to petrol etc no heat required flows well wort a try

Last edited by moriarti on Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : brain in slo/mo)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum