BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Harley Davidson VS BMW Empty Harley Davidson VS BMW Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:27 pm

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
Hope this is in the right category. I found this interesting and thought some of you might also. If I ever get chased by the police, I hope they are on a Harley and not a BMW! I wouldn't have a chance either way but hey, a guy can hope for the best, right?

BMW vs. Harley-Davidson:
Michigan State Police Evaluates Police Bikes

Official Michigan State Government Report
Reported by Craig Fitzgerald, Hemming's Motor News:

Motorcycle guys are more than willing to defend the merits of their specific brands, but it’s not often that you get fair, unbiased testing conducted by a state agency that actually lays out money for the vehicles. The Michigan State Police recently made such testing public, as it embarked upon an evaluation program for its upcoming purchase of a fleet of motorcycles.

The Harley Davidson Road King and FLHTP were evaluated against the BMW R1200RT-P. All three bikes are the most commonly used police machines in the country. Michigan State Police evaluated the motorcycles' performance in handling, braking, acceleration and top speed, as well as the ability to cope with all the special communications and emergency warning needs of the Michigan State Police. Tests were conducted at the DaimlerChrysler Proving Grounds in Chelsea, Michigan.

The results of the testing were dramatic. The BMW was able to negotiate the nine-turn, six-lap handling course as much as 32 seconds faster than the FLHTP Electra Glide. Acceleration and top speed tests also went to the BMW, which achieved a top speed of 130 mph, vs. Harley Davidson's 103 and 107 top speeds. In the quarter mile, the BMW accelerated at least a second and a half faster than the Harley, at a speed 8-mph faster. From 60 miles per hour, the BMW stopped an amazing 21 feet sooner than either of the Harley Davidsons, or approximately a car-length and a half.

Full results of the test are available on the state of Michigan's Web site.
Full Report

- By Craig Fitzgerald, Hemming's Motor News

"Gretchen II" (Gretchen von Gearshiften)

2Back to top Go down   Harley Davidson VS BMW Empty Re: Harley Davidson VS BMW Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:48 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
makes you wonder why you would ever consider any other bike than a BMW....even if its not a locally produced ride....had there been some Buells perhaps it would have been a closer competition.

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Harley Davidson VS BMW Au-log10

3Back to top Go down   Harley Davidson VS BMW Empty Re: Harley Davidson VS BMW Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:36 am

Seemed a bit oxymoronic to me, putting Harley Davidson and New Technologies together.

4Back to top Go down   Harley Davidson VS BMW Empty Re: Harley Davidson VS BMW Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:30 pm

STEVE1959

Silver member
Silver member
The New South Wales Police have a couple of Harley's at the moment for evaluation. I think the idea is to use them for ceremonial duties. From what I have heard the riders don't like them, I think one is sitting with a blown head gasket so someone has been giving it a bit of a caning!!

5Back to top Go down   Harley Davidson VS BMW Empty Re: Harley Davidson VS BMW Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:34 pm

STEVE1959

Silver member
Silver member
Here is a photoHarley Davidson VS BMW Harley10

6Back to top Go down   Harley Davidson VS BMW Empty Re: Harley Davidson VS BMW Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Great, I forwarded the article to 3 friends:
2 riding HD and one selling his K100rt because he just bought a brand new r1200rt.
I am waiting for the answer. Smile

7Back to top Go down   Harley Davidson VS BMW Empty Re: Harley Davidson VS BMW Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Bit like running a comparison on a V10 turbo M5 and a Fiat Topilino.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum