BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty Neutral Lamp Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:17 am

Kerswellcrank

Kerswellcrank
Hi folks, can anyone offer some advice regarding my non working neutral lamp.

The bulb itself is fine (I swapped it over with one of the others), the plug in connections look ok too.

Looking at the wiring diagram, the neutral lamp seems to be connected to the the gear indicator, which works perfectly, showing the correct gear, or "0" in neutral.

The Haynes manual isn't very helpful on this, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Steve scratch

2Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty Re: Neutral Lamp Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:50 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Replace Transistor V10 (a BD370B) on the gear board. Usual suspect. I would replace it for a BD370C for the higher spec. Just repaired two speedo's with the same issue with succes.

Cheers, Rene.

3Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty Re: Neutral Lamp Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:44 am

Kerswellcrank

Kerswellcrank
Thanks Rene, sounds a bit scary! I'm ok with normal wiring, soldering etc, but anything with a circuit board I usually leave well alone.

I'll have to pluck up the courage to tackle this one. Any pitfalls I should be wary of?

Cheers, Steve.

4Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty Re: Neutral Lamp Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:20 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Steve, not really, but whereabouts are you? If you're not to far away or am willing to post the part I can do the job for you/with you. I'm close to Glasgow.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Neutral Lamp Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

5Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty Re: Neutral Lamp Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:36 am

Kerswellcrank

Kerswellcrank
Hi Rene, that's very kind of you to offer, but I'm a way off down in Devon.

Diagnosing the fault on a circuit board is way out of my depth, but now you've told me what needs changing I think I should be ok if I go carefully.

Could I just ask you if you could describe where it is when looking at the instrument cluster, is it marked V10.

Oh, and any recommendations for a supplier here in the uk

Thanks again, I owe you.
Steve.

6Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty Re: Neutral Lamp Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:43 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
OK Steve, that a bit far Very Happy

Yes, V10 is indicated on the board. The board itself is a little 'sub-board' that sits behind the tachometer facia (the gear indicator is part of it).

Way to get to the board:
- remove back cover of unit
- remove the lamp part (upside down T-shape)
- remove the tacho unit
- remove the gear board from the tacho unit. It is fitted with two screws through a distance piece that ensures the gear indicator sits right behind the facia and then carefully remove the board from around the tacho shaft. V10 is the transistor with the little metal part on top.
Please see below:
This is the advise I got from Pezi from the German (with English section!!!) forum flyingbrick.de:

1) 95% culprit: transistor V10, type BD370B in http://members.magnet.at/p.stefan/Gangplatine2.jpg

2) 3% culprit: transistor V9, modell BC546B in http://members.magnet.at/p.stefan/Gangplatine1.jpg

3) 2% culprit: Diode (1N0004) in cockpit backplane: Right to "LeerLaufKontrolleuchte" in http://members.magnet.at/p.stefan/K100_Schaltplan_Zuendschloss_Diode_korrigiert.jpg

So all thanks to him!

Good luck!

Rene

7Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty Re: Neutral Lamp Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:20 am

Kerswellcrank

Kerswellcrank
Hi Rene, now that's what I call a comprehensive answer!

On most forums, ask a straight question and get an annoying reply along the lines of " Sell it mate and get what I've got".

Looks like I've managed to find a place where people really know their stuff. cheers

Cheers, Steve.

8Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty Re: Neutral Lamp Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:33 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Steve, just spreading the support I have received elsewhere 'in my time of need' Hope you can get it done, otherwise mail me the board and I'll do the soldering for you.

Rene

9Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty Re: Neutral Lamp Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:56 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
ReneZ wrote:Steve, just spreading the support I have received elsewhere 'in my time of need' Hope you can get it done, otherwise mail me the board and I'll do the soldering for you.

That's what I call support. Thumbs up for you Renez. We are all here to learn and share our knowledge.

Bert

10Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty Re: Neutral Lamp Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:11 pm

Kerswellcrank

Kerswellcrank
Update...... IT'S FIXED! cheers

I found a place here in the UK called Cricklewood Electronics which stock the BD370C. Ordered the part online, and it arrived within two days.

Following ReneZ's instructions, it was supprisingly straightforward, and really didn't take very long.

Put it all back together, plugged it back in and Voila! a bright green neutral lamp.

My biggest worrry was that the gear indicator might not now work, but it all works great.

Thankyou again for your help Renez, and if anyone else has the same problem, I would say as long as you are careful, give it a go.

Cheers, Steve Very Happy

11Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty Re: Neutral Lamp Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:46 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Good stuff!! Happy it worked! Cheers, Rene.

Rene

12Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty neutral lamp diode Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:49 pm

elle

elle
Silver member
Silver member
3) 2% culprit: Diode (1N0004) in cockpit backplane: Right to "LeerLaufKontrolleuchte" in

hi does it have to be 1N0004 or is there an equal or updated have got the one from criclewood electronics,but also to start mine you have to pull clutch in which ive gained from the site articles is the diode (am asuming its this one) so wanted to replace all at once seeing as am going to have clocks off to replace trans.
Have found most diodes apart from 1N0004!!!
Help most appreciated.thanks
pete

13Back to top Go down   Neutral Lamp Empty Re: Neutral Lamp Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:19 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Pete, it is in very rare cases the diode and these are easy to measure, so I would not bother.
But to answer your question; no, sorry, wouldn't know.

Rene

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum