BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Engine output shaft seal Empty Engine output shaft seal Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I have to replace the engine output shaft seal on the K100, but I cannot remember which one is the latest model.(Old timer disease?)

I have a spare double lips and a single lip one. Which one to install?

Engine output shaft seal Double10

Engine output shaft seal Single10

2Back to top Go down   Engine output shaft seal Empty Re: Engine output shaft seal Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If the one with single lip is identical to the one in the drawing, it would probably
be the newest...with teflon lip ,as these don`t have a spring to tension the lip.

Engine output shaft seal Simrin10

3Back to top Go down   Engine output shaft seal Empty Re: Engine output shaft seal Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Inge K. wrote:If the one with single lip is identical to the one in the drawing, it would probably
be the newest...with teflon lip ,as these don`t have a spring to tension the lip.

Engine output shaft seal Simrin10

Thanks for confirming Ingepedia. I may re-install it this week end.

As I will replace my clutch, I want to check the balancing.
I found a good article on the K11og forum.

As this is Christmas season, I decided to try with...... a Christmas balls (Don't tell my wife, one is missing on the tree). I just did a quick test and it seems to work and be consistent.

CF

4Back to top Go down   Engine output shaft seal Empty Re: Engine output shaft seal Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Crazy Frog wrote:As I will replace my clutch, I want to check the balancing.
I found a good article on the K11og forum.

The tennis ball metod have also been mentioned in this forum earlier.........post 244.

5Back to top Go down   Engine output shaft seal Empty Re: Engine output shaft seal Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
I'm doing the same thing hopefully before christmas. Destroyed already one main seal (went in too deep) and wondering how is it installed correctly.. I did manufacture a tool which should leave the seal 1mm "up" but how do I get the seal in so that it goes evenly at all sides?

Clutch plate is replaced with oil resistant dry clutch but I made mistake when I took it apart and didnt mark the housing.. So it might not be in balance and I didnt quite get that tennisball idea.

6Back to top Go down   Engine output shaft seal Empty Re: Engine output shaft seal Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:05 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Tenox wrote:I'm doing the same thing hopefully before christmas. Destroyed already one main seal (went in too deep) and wondering how is it installed correctly.. I did manufacture a tool which should leave the seal 1mm "up" but how do I get the seal in so that it goes evenly at all sides?

Clutch plate is replaced with oil resistant dry clutch but I made mistake when I took it apart and didnt mark the housing.. So it might not be in balance and I didnt quite get that tennisball idea.

If I have time this week end I will take pictures to show the process.
I won't start on the bike before next week, but can give you an idea about how to check the balance.

CF

7Back to top Go down   Engine output shaft seal Empty Re: Engine output shaft seal Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:11 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
OK! Thanks. I will start putting that brick together wednesday with my father (stubborn 70 years old retired car mechanic).

Edit: Actually I put that seal in its place today. It is nicely ~1mm above the casing but.. I accidentally made a small dent to seals metal while assembling it. Crying or Very sad Not sure if that affects on oil staying where it should stay. I'm quite sure that it wont affect on outer ring, but not that sure about the seal lip that comes in contact with the flywheel. It looks OK, but if its not, it will be a days work to replace it once more.

Edit: Bike back in one piece and seems to be OK.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum