BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Empty Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:21 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Last night I was trying to work out which chip had gone belly up on my gear change indicator circuit on the dear K... One of the things that I wasn't able to check was the presence of a "Clock" signal which is generated by one chip and then passed to the second and then onto the LCD display.....

This morning while I was reading on the Triumph spitfire forum I was reading about central locking.... which took me to a blog where the guy showed it being fitted... then to the next entry and he talked about using an inexpensive sound card and a series of resistors to drop the I/P voltage down...

This got me thinking about having something more portable and I remembered reading about the Pi

Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Quick-10

As you can see it is tiny and would only require the addition of a USB sound card.... I am thinking that housing it in an enclosure that is big enough to take the leads would be perfect... Using BNC connectors on the shell would mean being able to use standard osciliscope probes as well...

Now I need to find a display that would be becoming of this little beast...

The software that it runs is linux based.... not one of my strong points but I have worked with it before (@ command line level) so it's not overly daunting... and there is various scope software out there...

Any thoughts before I place an order for one?!

Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope 169042Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope 169034

2Back to top Go down   Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Empty Re: Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:57 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Have you checked out the DSO Nano to compare against the Raspberry Pi? The Nano is self-contained and therefore doesn't need the external components of the Pi. It would require you to compare the specifications and pricing between the two to see which is best for your application and pocketbook.

3Back to top Go down   Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Empty Re: Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:31 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
That will certainly do what I am looking for! and the price is a lot less than what a Pi would cost to make including a screen....

I had visions of making a ipad size device all be a lot thicker in depth... But as i can pick up the DSO Nano for next to nothing and I think it will do the jobs that I want it to be able to do Very Happy

Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope 169042Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope 169034

4Back to top Go down   Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Empty Re: Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:47 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I was looking at various retailer's web sites today, looking for Arduino components, when I came across Sainsmart.  They sell a Hantek PC Based USB Digital Storage Oscilloscope 6022BE  with 20Mhz Bandwidth (48 MSa/S) for $68.  It is also sold by Deal Extreme out of Hong Kong for $70 including free worldwide tracked shipping.  This seems like a really good product for very little money considering the specifications.  Compared to the Nano's 1MHz bandwidth (1 MSa/S), this would be a better shop tool.  It's dual channel, has storage capabilities and able to interface to PC software for data capture and analysis.  Pretty cool.  I might pick up one.  I've seen used conventional oscilloscopes on Kijiji and CL for 5 times this amount with the same specs.

UPDATE: found out that the hardware is good but the software really sucks.  Too bad.

Last edited by robmack on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update on problems with the product)

5Back to top Go down   Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Empty Re: Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:07 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Rob, interested in this. I appreciate its an old post, but where did you go from here? Thanks.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

6Back to top Go down   Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Empty Re: Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:20 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I ended up buying a Hitachi V695 analog scope for $70, including 2 10X probes.  It has all the features I need in a scope plus rugged reliability and easy maintenance.  There's got to be something said for old-fashion recyclable technology versus modern throw-away stuff, just like our K-bikes.

7Back to top Go down   Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Empty Re: Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:04 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
that's a good buy rob ....congrats

I tend to borrow the work tektronics periodically .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Empty Re: Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:56 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I'm glad Hitachi replaced the V694 with the V695. Much better unit overall.

And the Hantek 6022BE! What a nice bit of kit it is!

...sorry guys, just taking the piss.

I have no idea what robmack is talking about. Very Happy Very Happy

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

9Back to top Go down   Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Empty Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:34 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I think it's raspberry beret isn't it.

10Back to top Go down   Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Empty Re: Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:31 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Speaking of Raspberries  Raspberry Pi based oscilloscope 39723

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum