BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
.........and while you're at it some hens teeth and a sack of rocking horse dung please. Very Happy

I am after some OEM heated grips and all the wiring. The 4 valve ones are a bit different to the 2 valve ones. It's a long shot but you never know. Please PM if you ahve a pair lying around needing a home. Motorworks etc sell them but even second hand they're expensive.

Cheers
Dave

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It starts to get rather cold down there, eh?

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Not as cold as up your way Inge. Cold enough though! I don't do a lot of winter miles but we do get some good, bright days for a short blast and I tend to do a couple of longer trips as well - spring and autumn have a lot of good, cold days so I think they'll get used quite a lot. I have read a lot about the options and nearly went for heated gloves or Oxford hot grips but I like OEM stuff. If the grips need a bit of help to keep my hands warm I'll fit a pair of waterproof muffs.

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
I like to keep my Beemers original where possible, but my wife has just installed a set of hot grips to her boulevard last winter.
I did the install in about 30 mins, easy as. and she is happy with the performance.Mild winter temp, she ran them on 25 percent power.
She rides my K to work on occasions , using the heated grips, I think shes happier with hers.. Least I know shes not likely to take over my bike in a hurry.Wait till her Boulie is retiring after 100,000k's.
Hope you stick with OEM, or find the real thing, there were a set on fleabay recently, not sure about compatability though... good luck.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
16 valve heated grips plus wiring and switch wanted - cheap 10_x_110

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Yes mate, if I bought hot grips I'd always be looking at the non standard switch on the bars and the 'wrong' grips and not liking it! It's an affliction Very Happy. Modding tolerance is a fickle and for me inconistent thing, for example I like a good characterful zorst and my bikes stripes are not OEM but on the other hand I'm not generally a fan of more radical departures like 'K' cafe racer conversions.
Cheers
Dave

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
Yeah I run a parallel with you on that dave. There aren't many cafe racers that I liked and even only just. I wonder how someone can bear to do it especially like some we see, done from a 5000k bike in pristine condition.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
In my big boxes of spares I found this amongst all the switches I have.
Parts No 61 311 459 234

16 valve heated grips plus wiring and switch wanted - cheap Aus_ca10

16 valve heated grips plus wiring and switch wanted - cheap Aus_ca11

Make me an offer

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
There's a nice new switch winging its way up to cold Aberdeenshire 16 valve heated grips plus wiring and switch wanted - cheap 112350

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Cheers mate, thanks got it. Very Happy

I now have all the bits - (including the drill bit!) either in my hand or on order. Getting s/h grips and subsid loom from James Sherlock who came up with the best price although not much in it.

If anyone has a photo of the hole that needs to be drilled in the bars (in this case on an RS) I'd be grateful to see it. Thinking of three 8mm holes overlapping and filed off between to get an 8mm by 22 mm orifice or a single 10mm hole.

Cheers
Dave

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member
sidecar paul has put a nice picture in this thread

http://www.k100-forum.com/t4818-heated-grips?highlight=heated+grips

I wish I had seen it before I had fitted mine

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 51K Km     ;BMW; K1100RS Red 1993 70k miles (exiled in Alicante at the moment)  ;BMW; K100 16V Black (ex ElectricMonk)  ;BMW;  K1100LT (Swiss) soon to be an RS

gmcq

gmcq
Gold member
Gold member
I found it easier to use a grinder and cut a slot in the handle bar, worked a treat.

GMcQ

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Cheers Ringfad, gmcq. I'm confused, do i need to do more thanjust drill a hole in the centre of teh bars for the wires? Looking at Paul's diagram it looks like I also need to:

1. modify the bar ends with cut outs?
2. drill a hole on the clutch side handlebar?

Is this right? Anything else?

Cheers
Dave

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member
1. Depends on the bars fitted my end weights are fitted as per the photograph and heated grip wire goes in through the hole, other ones are different

16 valve heated grips plus wiring and switch wanted - cheap Dscf2810

16 valve heated grips plus wiring and switch wanted - cheap Dscf2811

2. The hole needs to be drilled in the clutch side for small countersunk screws that stop the grip rotating, these should be in the kit when you get it.

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 51K Km     ;BMW; K1100RS Red 1993 70k miles (exiled in Alicante at the moment)  ;BMW; K100 16V Black (ex ElectricMonk)  ;BMW;  K1100LT (Swiss) soon to be an RS

gmcq

gmcq
Gold member
Gold member
Only one side of my bars had end weight fitment like ringfads, the other end weight threaded into the end of the bar. To allow the wires to enter the end of the bar, I cut a slot, as suggested by Inge, inline with the wire position leaving the grip. Picture below is the before shot. I drilled a pilot hole at the 7 o'clock position up the side of the threaded insert then cut it out with the grinder with 100mm disc fitted. Used the pilot hole so I would not cut into the threaded insert. Quite straight forward. Sorry, no after shot.

GMcQ

16 valve heated grips plus wiring and switch wanted - cheap Dscn3210

Last edited by gmcq on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
K100RS4V got the same bar end weights as the 2V models.

So a cutout is needed to be done at both ends of the handlebar
and at the weight fittings.

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Guys that's a lot clearer. Very Happy

Got the grips and loom today. No instructions so trying to figure it all out. Think I understand what needs to be done but just not sure on the throttle side - how it all fits together and what stops it turning on the bar but will take bars apart tomorrow and hopefully should become clear!

Cheers
Dave

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Dave, I copied my installation instructions today and dragged myself through the snow to the post box to send them to you. Unfortunately I only had second class stamps so it may take a few days to get to you, but you might find some useful info there.

Cheers,

Paul.

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Paul,

Thank you, you are a Gentleman.

Cheers
Dave

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: