BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]


251Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:52 am

K75cster


Life time member
Life time member
Bemade you have a nice bike there, but you haven't mentioned what the bars came off, would be nice to know as I suffer from wrist ache when using my stock rt bars

    

252Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Robbo wrote:No doubt we will catch up on the road sometime
Yep. more than likely, if we both get around this small island often enough. would be great

    

253Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@K75cster wrote:Bemade you have a nice bike there, but you haven't mentioned what the bars came off, would be nice to know as I suffer from wrist ache when using my stock rt bars
Ahh . . . the bars . . . the bars

These were a great point of discussion on this thread (see earlier comments). I searched high and low for the right set and even then I didn't get exactly what I wanted. I still need another inch or so higher and an inch or 2 pull back

These ones are aftermarket off a little wee shop in New Plymouth which specialises in 'bikie' gear (think hardlys and old trimphants)

They were advertised on Trademe (NZ's equivalent for eBay)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/handlebars-handlebar-parts/auction-718235307.htm

Width 27", Height 9 1/2", Pullback 9 3/4".

For your bike you might consider getting the gen Bar Risers. I did not have to lengthen any cables.

My original LT bars looked like this:



What incensed me to put them on the K was a bike I owned back in 1994, a Honda 750 custom, which had very similar bars. I loved the riding position so much. In fact the only thing I had against that bike was the limited top end (about 175) and the fact that the final drive was chain. Aside from that it was great, a Honda 750k engine in a custom setup

And now I have this:



Having recently added a German Flag coloured Tank protector :__))




Picking up lots and lots of lookers and interest everywhere it goes

When you consider that it used to look like this:



After spending 10 months with me it got to the first photo with the LT bars

    

254Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:33 pm

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@RicK G wrote:the gearbox (mine has whines in 3rd and 4th) So do most of the K gearboxes, they have straight cut gears on all but 5th which is spiral cut. I think you will find that 1st and 2nd make just as much noise but because of the relative slow speed and you are going slower and the engine noise will be heard more you don't notice it.
Don't be at all surprised at all if the next box is the same.


Anything else I can do to make mine nicer or in better condition:- We could send you broke suggesting things to doTwisted Evil
Hmm . . interesting. When I took the RS for its maiden (and one and only) strop the gearbox was quiet as a mouse. So is the engine for that matter. Will do the swapparoo and let you know if the improvement I was originally looking for is there, or maybe its just my imaginataion (probably .. I imagine quite a lot . . . (o)

    

255Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 pm

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
I pulled my K100 box out at 200,000 because of it being noisy and the gears were in near perfect condition with a very slight amount of bearing wear so I put new bearings in and replaced the box It made just the same noises as before and behaved exactly the same (faultless) so I figured that it is the way with them and it has been confirmed many more times here and elsewhere.


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

256Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:37 am

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
If anyone want the bars they can buy them from:


(06) 757 8885
KBK Motorcycles
48c Leach Street, New Plymouth City Centre, New Plymouth, Taranaki, nz

    

257Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:14 am

K75cster

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Taa Be-made shop info noted


__________________________________________________
Keith - 1987 K75c with r100rt replica fairing and half of a 1984 K100rt 1992 K1100LT a blue one

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.
    

258Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Tue May 06, 2014 6:25 am

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Well .. . the "good" riding season here has finished now, with only a couple of weeks until the official start of winter. The autum has been pretty good so far, being able to get away every weekend and stay dry and warm throughout, no need for gloves on the open road or jerseys.

We did approx 8500 ks and went to approx 21 different destinations in 7 months with 25 days off the road for mechanical's (so approx 6 months of great riding times).

I only copped one speeding ticket which is quite amazing really (for 112)

The bike has performed flawlessly since the re-power, as one would expect. I am so so glad I got a K
The only expenses aside from the replacement block (see earlier posts) was a set of tyres and a wof.
Now its time for an oil change and, while I am at it, a gearbox swapover. Then that will (should!) be it until next WOF time

I have put this bike through its paces time and time again, enough now to know its flaws, characteristics and idio-syncrosies inside out and upside down back to front and am very very happy with it.

I WILL not bother with any other bike ever again.

This is it now, for the duration of my riding days.

I hope to end up, as an old man, happily riding his vintage customised beema down the road while every one who sees stares at him and laughs (or admires) him, it will be such an oddity :___))))

I figure if I hit 70, in 20 years I will be 70 and my bike will be 45. We will both be "classics" . . lol . . .

Looking forward now to October / November now when the climate is more motorcycle friendly. We will ride in winter but womany is not that keen on it so it might just be me on beema instead of us. Updates to follow :_))

    

259Back to top Go down    onit on Mon May 12, 2014 4:16 am

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
a while back, in this thread, someone wanted to see a pic of me on the bike

If you scroll down to the 4th item it is a vid of me and my 6 y/o daughter at this blog linked below

http://mebemade1.blogspot.co.nz/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=2

    

260Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Fri May 16, 2014 4:58 am

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@RicK G wrote:I pulled my K100 box out at 200,000 because of it being noisy and the gears were in near perfect condition with a very slight amount of bearing wear so I put new bearings in and replaced the box It made just the same noises as before and behaved exactly the same (faultless) so I figured that it is the way with them and it has been confirmed many more times here and elsewhere.
Well . . . I swapped my box over with the RS one I had, on 48000ks.

A LOT smoother in the change, not sticky like the old one, and a LOT quieter, not whining anywhere near as much as the other one, but still a tiny little bit in 3rd and 4th.

With the muffler replacement from the RS I can hear EVERYTHING now.

I figure the other muffler must have been on its way out for quite a while

Swapped over also from the RS to the LT the final drive :-). So now I have an LT / RS custom , with the motor, box final drive and wiring loom being from the RS. The taller RS gearing is noticable

Going exceptionally smoothly and very quiet.

Lovely .. . just lovely

    

261Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Fri May 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Did a full test ride today on the new box

Noticably higher gearing dropping almost 1000 revs @ 100kph, only pulling 3500 instead of close to 4500

Top end I could not reach it today on the roads close to town. Will do an out of town run soon

This morning was amazing. 645am we left home

Fog, reasonably thick, temperature zero celsius and getting close to the red line in 4th, waay over what the old box used to do

As I sed, smooth, quiet and just lovely . . . .ahhhh . . . ya gotta love the late autumn Smile

    

262Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Fri May 16, 2014 11:26 pm

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
What gearbox is this that you used. I would like one like it.
And the final drive.



Last edited by RicK G on Fri May 16, 2014 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added And the final drive)


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

263Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Sat May 17, 2014 5:37 am

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@RicK G wrote:What gearbox is this that you used. I would like one like it.
And the final drive.
My original one was a 1989 k100LT

Now I have one off a 1988 K100RS

The box ratios are the same but the diff ratio is better on the RS giving it a taller top end

    

264Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Sat May 17, 2014 6:09 am

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
@Be made wrote:
@RicK G wrote:What gearbox is this that you used. I would like one like it.
And the final drive.
My original one was a 1989 k100LT

Now I have one off a 1988 K100RS

The box ratios are the same but the diff ratio is better on the RS giving it a taller top end

Have you figured what the drop in revs would really be. The actual numbers are a tad over 4000 with the 2.91 and a touch under with the 2.82 all in all it is a 127rpm drop from 4100 down to 3973rpm.
Now what I am getting at is get your speedo seen to it is very obviously way out or the tacho.


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

265Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Sun May 18, 2014 2:33 am

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@RicK G wrote:Have you figured what the drop in revs would really be.

No.

All I know is I have not changed anything except the box and the diff. I never touched the speedo since day one of ownership and have to trust it is accurate, given the speeding tickets from being stopped plus camera tickets and the relative speed of other vehicles

As for the tacho I have not touched that either so it is working the same as it always has as far as I know. The bike definitely feels like it is revving a lot lower @ 100kph so I have to assume it is

I am very happy with the performance of the machine as a whole now and won't be doing anything else to it,

It revs easily to the red line and pulls beautifully to 185 in 4th, changing in to top there and going through to nearly 220 at the top end of the tacho. I have pulled it through the red line once by mistake.

It is finished now. It has taken me 18 months to get to this stage and I need go no further now, just routine maintenence to be done and fair wear and tear, on an as it happens basis, to take care of

Great bike, so now my bike building / rebuilding days are over and I can "grow old gracefully" as they say

    

266Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Sun May 18, 2014 11:50 am

Dale S

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
@Be made wrote:
@RicK G wrote:Have you figured what the drop in revs would really be.

No.

All I know is I have not changed anything except the box and the diff. I never touched the speedo since day one of ownership and have to trust it is accurate, given the speeding tickets from being stopped plus camera tickets and the relative speed of other vehicles

As for the tacho I have not touched that either so it is working the same as it always has as far as I know. The bike definitely feels like it is revving a lot lower @ 100kph so I have to assume it is

I am very happy with the performance of the machine as a whole now and won't be doing anything else to it,

It revs easily to the red line and pulls beautifully to 185 in 4th, changing in to top there and going through to nearly 220 at the top end of the tacho. I have pulled it through the red line once by mistake.

It is finished now. It has taken me 18 months to get to this stage and I need go no further now, just routine maintenence to be done and fair wear and tear, on an as it happens basis, to take care of

Great bike, so now my bike building / rebuilding days are over and I can "grow old gracefully" as they say

Until the next one!Very Happy


__________________________________________________
1990 BMW K100LT
2003 BMW 540i
1998 Ford f-150
    

267Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Sun May 18, 2014 12:52 pm

japuentes

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Be made wrote:Noticably higher gearing dropping almost 1000 revs @ 100kph, only pulling 3500 instead of close to 4500
Looks like it was running in 4th...
Best regards
JAP


__________________________________________________
1988 K100RS SE/ABS
    

268Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Sun May 18, 2014 12:56 pm

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@japuentes wrote:
@Be made wrote:Noticably higher gearing dropping almost 1000 revs @ 100kph, only pulling 3500 instead of close to 4500
Looks like it was running in 4th...
Best regards
JAP
if thats the case then it would have been even lower in 5th, which it isn't :-) . . nice try though . . . .

    

269Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Sun May 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Until the next one!Very Happy
Nah . . . .not I. I have done too many now as it is. I have neither the time, inclination or buget these days to continuously keep buying / swapping bikes.

I wish I had stopped 20 years ago at the R100RS custom .. ..never mind. Onwards and upwards

    

270Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Tune up done yesterday as per my other post on the manometer. This replacement block has done 56500 ks now, the valve clearance adjustment checks were overdue and the settings on the intakes had not been touched from birth so they were probably in need of attention before I fiddled with them anyway

So that's it now. Just ride and park until the next oil change ( I hope)

Hassle free riding days are here again ! . . .Surprised-o: roundel 🆒 . . for now . . ;--)

and shes looking as sexy as ever . . .Very Happy







Heh . . a guy on a triumph old one came up to me yesterday and sed " you could call that a BM Davidson you know . . . and get away with it . . . I laughed

    

271Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 pm

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Took the bike out for its first decent strop since the tune up 10 - 11 days ago and , wow, what a difference that made.

Money well spent I reckon. It pulls like a train, on the test strip I use I was most impressed by the increase in acceleration, the increase in smoothness and the overall top speeds @ red line in each gear, about a 10 kph increase on previous although the top end probably remains the same, I was changing in to 5th @ around 195 where previously 185 was about the limit. I did not wind it right out, no need to really, maybe next time. Very happy with K. cannot see myself changing models now, ever really

    

272Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:25 pm

charlie99

avatar
VIP
VIP


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
    

273Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:21 am

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Well . . . The 2014 / 2015 Riding Season has begun here in NZ properly this week with the changeover to daylight saving, making a HUGE difference in levels of enjoyment and available daylight riding time after work and on weekends etc

The bike got it's 3rd WOF today since the rebuild with nothing needing doing as tyres were refreshed towards the end of last season

I have been mapping the K's since I re-entered the world of motorcycling and it looks like this:

Season 1: October 01 2012 -May 01 2013:
Approximately 30 weekends and 24 destinations covering 7500ks

Off season (Rainy season here. Not as much fun) 10 Destinations covering 2500k's

The bike got repowered January 2013 and I was off the road for 3 weeks but since then its been all good with only a major tune up needed

Here's how it looks today . . . lets see how it ends in 6 months time :-)). I have tenative plans for a small screen and possibly a Radiator shroud and engine sidecovers and a fairing scoop but this remains to be seen. At the moment all I am looking for is doing a LOT of trouble free K's.


    

274Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:40 am

rosskko

avatar
VIP
VIP
Good work BM

Is it really that shiney or is it just a clever trick by the foto graffer

Those bars really have me intrigued.

I have no desire (need) for that type of riding position, but it amazes me that no one else has tried it. It seems to be a perfectly obvious thing to try.

On the subject of small screens, not sure on your desire/likeness/ wantness for the naked light and blinkers, but Motorworks sells the kit I have on my bike for very little money.
Headlight surround and speedo mount all in one.
the most expensive part, apart from postage was the bolts/scres/ wahsers I ordered to fit it together.

Search motorworks for
STK59490 20gbp

STK59374 12gbp

I have seen quite a few screens that will fit this type of headlight arrangement


__________________________________________________
1986 K100RT VIN 0093801K100RT with summer fairing for a northern visitor

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ05/1988

K1100RS 0194321
    

275Back to top Go down    Re: '89 K100LT >>> K100 CUSTOM CONVERSION on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:15 am

Be made

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@rosskko wrote:Good work BM

Is it really that shiney or is it just a clever trick by the foto graffer

Those bars really have me intrigued.

I have no desire (need) for that type of riding position, but it amazes me that no one else has tried it. It seems to be a perfectly obvious thing to try.

On the subject of small screens, not sure on your desire/likeness/ wantness for the naked light and blinkers, but Motorworks sells the kit I have on my bike for very little money.
Headlight surround and speedo mount all in one.
the most expensive part, apart from postage was the bolts/scres/ wahsers I ordered to fit it together.

Search motorworks for
STK59490 20gbp

STK59374 12gbp

I have seen quite a few screens that will fit this type of headlight arrangement
Thanks for the comp.

Yes, it really is that shiny, shine created by something called (trade secret coming out here! ) . . . . .Neopol

    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum