BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Speedo stopped working Empty Speedo stopped working Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:20 am

neobiker99

neobiker99
Went to work last night speedo working okay came out of work this morning bike covered in ice after a very cold night.
The bike started okay rev counter works but speedo dead. Unable to remove speedo impulse sender due to bolt being corroded and I don't want to mess it up so I'll soak it first with releasing oil then try it. Could the problem be in the instrument panel, loose wire or water or could the ice have done something to it ? Any suggestions. Thanks

2Back to top Go down   Speedo stopped working Empty Re: Speedo stopped working Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:04 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
First thing to check is the connector under the right-hand side panel (prone to furring up).

3Back to top Go down   Speedo stopped working Empty Re: Speedo stopped working Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:50 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
As Mike said check the connector under the RH Panel.... I am not too sure if there is a check you can do on the sender apart from clean it up....

Prevention is better than cure i think.....
Speedo stopped working 2013-034

Speedo stopped working 169042Speedo stopped working 169034

4Back to top Go down   Speedo stopped working Empty Re: Speedo stopped working Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:10 pm

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
My speedo failed due to external influences (ie, wire from sensor unit got graunched). Fitted a replacement sensor. Rick (Guru) G suggested, as a test, to hold a 240V electric soldering iron near the sensor. Switch the ignition on and the speedo should read 59 Km/h (I think) The 50Hz from the iron is induced into the sensor and the signal is sent to the speedo. It worked for me! But, I must admit, if it doesn't work, you still don't know if its in the bowels of the instrument panel or the sensor itself. But...its easy to do first up.

Cheers, Rickmeister.

5Back to top Go down   Speedo stopped working Empty Re: Speedo stopped working Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If it ends up with a conclusion that the problem is inside the instrument.........
have a look at this.

6Back to top Go down   Speedo stopped working Empty Re: Speedo stopped working Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:23 pm

neobiker99

neobiker99
Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'll take the speedo off and have a look at the connections and clean them plus I'll clean the wiring connecter from the sender while I'm at it. I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks

7Back to top Go down   Speedo stopped working Empty Re: Speedo stopped working Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:07 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
There is another way of having a speedo if your instruments refuse to behave. Get a push bike computer, which is a speedo, watch, average speed etc, etc. This may be a cheap alternative, or a supplement if your speedo behaves.

8Back to top Go down   Speedo stopped working Empty Re: Speedo stopped working Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:39 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Is that a bit like a pedal radio Stan you would remember those?

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   Speedo stopped working Empty Re: Speedo stopped working Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
pedal radios.......long before my time.....technology...the bike computer has a battery!

10Back to top Go down   Speedo stopped working Empty Re: Speedo stopped working Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:30 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
neobiker99 wrote:Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'll take the speedo off and have a look at the connections and clean them plus I'll clean the wiring connecter from the sender while I'm at it. I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks

When you get the back off, the speedo connections are at the top right:

Speedo stopped working BMW%20K75S%20%28314%29-L

Undo these two screws:

Speedo stopped working BMW%20K75S%20%28319%29-L

Then gently pull the connectors out:

Speedo stopped working BMW%20K75S%20%28317%29-L

They can be very dirty, Be careful when you clean them as they bend easily.

11Back to top Go down   Speedo stopped working Empty Re: Speedo stopped working Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:25 pm

neobiker99

neobiker99
Update on my speedo, took it of the bike and completely stripped it, cleaned all the connections even if they did look clean. Then left it in the conservatory all day to dry completely out in case is was damp with in the workings ( my conservatory gets like an oven when the sun comes out ). Put all back together the next day went down and put it back on the bike and behold it works. Now when I'm on nights and the temp looks like its going to fall below zero I cover the clocks with a plastic carrier bag and it works a treat. Thanks to every one for your suggestions you've all been a big help.
thanks

12Back to top Go down   Speedo stopped working Empty Re: Speedo stopped working Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:41 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I would recommend you do a search on the site and you will see an article I wrote about excluding the moisture from the cluster https://www.k100-forum.com/t223-led-lights-in-the-instrument-pod-plus-sealing-out-the-moisture#652 it is really worth giving every connection inside a good treatment with DeoxIT G5 and then when dry with the S5 to ward off any gremlins coming back.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum