BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty First ride lost a pannier Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:48 pm

James

James
Silver member
Silver member
Went out for a first long ride for 45 minutes to school but when I got there I was missing a pannier. Just a warning to others to secure those down. I have a Reynolds rack on the back to so it makes it pretty hard to even get them off by hand and I double checked that it was secure when I left but somehow it came off and I'm worried it caused an accident 🇳🇴. The odo/mile counter stopped working on the way home too gotta fix that. Anyway I had fun and it was smooth otherwise. Have fun riding the weathers finally warming up Cool

Wish it was an action shot but static is fine too Smile
First ride lost a pannier 2m6l3cx

2Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:20 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep for sure ....all those panieers have a death wish lol

just make sure that they fitt up tight without rattling ....and "lock" them to the frame.

many of the locks bounce open after many years of service

looking good ...thanks for the pic

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Really annoying James. Charlie said it all! eBay is your friend for finding a replacement.
Good you got out though - I like the naked look of your bike!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

4Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:07 pm

James

James
Silver member
Silver member
Yeah charlie they rattled a lot, and RI has horrible roads. They just laid an inch of asphalt over the bad spots, a horrible job. I'm really hoping I'll spot it tomorrow morning. I'm bolting the next ones on for sure!

Thanks, yeah I couldn't ride with that RT fairing it was soo hot and the PO dropped it on both sides bending the bars all weird. Plus it makes it a lot easier to work on and respray, the windscreen is usually off too.

5Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:54 pm

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
I'm thinking scratch

. . . a short lanyard between the rear grab handle and saddlebag handle. If a bag comes loose it will rattle around as it dangles, but you won't loose it entirely. These can be removed after a week or so of riding after you're sure the panniers are secure.

6Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:03 pm

James

James
Silver member
Silver member
I was thinking about tethering it but I'm not sure if it would get caught in the back wheel. I'm pretty sure I lost it at about 60-80 mph and didn't even notice until I got off the bike.

I was also thinking about putting a block with a hole in it in the hole where it latches and then putting a combination lock through that if that makes sense. But I think just drilling a hole through the mount and bag would be easy and work. It would help the bags shaking about too.

7Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:31 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
I've been told an old saying about BMW panniers a few times.

There are two types of BMW panniers, those that have fallen off and those that are waiting to fall off.

I have had a couple part company with the bike, usually if the mounts are worn.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

First ride lost a pannier K-dogs10

8Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:18 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
james we did a bit of a post in here about some of the latches and suggestions for stopping that rattle etc

its not really hard to do ...and to date ...fingers crossed ...mine havent taken the big leap

but i have found the frame locks open a few times in the past ....and im sure they were planning an escape somewhere along the path .

ill try and find the thread for you ......be back soon ,,,it may help some .

or use the "search" feature in the top right of the box above

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:37 pm

snowbeard

snowbeard
Silver member
Silver member
I have one latch that is completely buggered and just lets go. I had to do a quick fix and I think it is pretty good in the end. I used a piece of low density polyethylene (LDPE) cutting board and cut a piece to fit. it is slightly angled on one side, and has a bump on the other that "clicks" into place. it is basically just an interference that keeps the latch in place, and with the angle and bump it holds itself in there as well. I don't have exact dimensions, I just made it a bit too large at first and took shaves off the end to make it tight. 

First ride lost a pannier Retention_zpsda85f097

here is how it sits in the mount

First ride lost a pannier Bumpnotch_zpsfa34fa2c

eventually I may add a tether of this block onto the pannier itself so that I don't lose it when the boxes are off.

10Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:35 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I picked up a pair of brand new Krauser k2 42 litre panniers on eBay. They lock on much more securely and don't have issues with hinges or wateer leaks. I used to tread my lock through the BMW pannier handles in case of detaching.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

11Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty First ride lost a pannier Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:08 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I made some straps from seat belt style material (camping shop had that) and put velcro strips on the ends. I just wrap it around and tighten them up. So far it has worked really well. Even with no heat shield on the exhaust there hasn't been any sign of melting, and it makes for a stress free ride.

12Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:11 pm

Bigsax

Bigsax
Gold member
Gold member
James wrote:I was thinking about tethering it but I'm not sure if it would get caught in the back wheel. I'm pretty sure I lost it at about 60-80 mph and didn't even notice until I got off the bike.

I was also thinking about putting a block with a hole in it in the hole where it latches and then putting a  combination lock through that if that makes sense. But I think just drilling a hole through the mount and bag would be easy and work. It would help the bags shaking about too.
James my panniers were rattling about as well. I locked them on the frame by simply drilling a small hole in the frame latch and putting a grub screw in there. This prevents the latch from coming open. 

I have just returned from a week long road trip and they are still hanging on!

13Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:07 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
add some soft rubber to the panniers ...it stops ...or restricts them moving about on the frame to start with

First ride lost a pannier 1495446_10200674842233662_945359176_n

hope that helps

14Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:41 pm

orforester

orforester
Silver member
Silver member
James I have a set of the flat lock panniers for sale, if you are interested, with keys, PM me

Bob

15Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:47 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Charlie's idea about the foam patches works a treat; he set me up a couple of years ago and the bags don't move around at all. Very secure. Latch the bags to the frame and lock them on.

I have seen a post where an owner has bolted the bags to the plastic frame using 3 per bag. Mount the bags, drill a hole through the bag and the frame and hold it there with a nut and bolt.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

16Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:56 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
And for mounting the rider it was a self tapping screw (and two nuts) ?

17Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:22 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
enough nuts around here already inge ...hehe !!

First ride lost a pannier 652573

18Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:40 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I'll guess so..............from another Aussie............since the topic is nuts.

19Back to top Go down   First ride lost a pannier Empty Re: First ride lost a pannier Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:56 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
He's from Melbourne, the further you go south the stranger they get.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum