BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty 85 K100 Tank bag on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:59 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I have a universal tank bag. I'm wondering if there's a source for some of those nifty little U shaped rubber or vinyl clips that fit over the front & bottom edges of the tank to hook the straps to?????
Currently, mine has to loop around the steering stem and doesn't fit well.
Suggestions for using this bag and securing it?

2Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty clips on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:46 am

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I found some of those things at the local army/navy store. I used them to repair/upgrade the elastic inside the panniers. They worked perfectly for that job. I don't know about using them for your application, but if there is any well-defined lip for them to hook over, I think they would work just fine.

3Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty New used on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:00 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I just procured a BMW mulivario bag off from Fleabay. Now I have questions since it's used and has no literature.
85 K100 Tank bag Sam_3517
85 K100 Tank bag Sam_3518
85 K100 Tank bag Sam_3519
Questions:
#1 in photos 1 & 2, what is rge function of the purple ring attachment's?
#2 I photo #3 there's 2 snaps inside the upper half. It there a separate accessory bag that snaps in the back of the top section? Perhaps a stuff sack for the rain cover that I did not get with it?
#3 can I assume that the snap locked wrap around strap is to put on top if I want to tie additional items on top of the tank bag OR perhaps it's just stored there and can be connected to the 2 purple ring attachments for a shoulder strap or the like?
#4 the top compartment zips completely off the lower one. Are there/where ther additional mid sections available to expand the size to 3 or more tiers?
#5 I've heard that the rain cover if I had it was not ever really very effective. Should I bother hunting around for a cover?
Or just get a big trash bag & a rubber band?
Regards, Ibj...

4Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Re: 85 K100 Tank bag on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:04 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi ibj, here's a pic of the complete bag, different colour but the same parts.

85 K100 Tank bag Sam_0624

The metal loops are for carrying that section with the strap that's clipped to the lower section.

The little zipped bag fits to the two press studs in your pic 2. Used for cash, passport etc and can be looped and press studded to a belt when taken out of the bag.

To the right on my pic is the centre extension and the rain cover is in the foreground. The rain cover is stored in a pocket on the under side of the lower section. Last Sunday my rain cover proved it's worth and is made to fit with or without the centre extension.

I always use non-slip matting (that blue stuff) between the base and my tank which prevents any scuffing of the paint finish.

Cheers,
Paul.

5Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty so on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:16 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks! It appears that I'm missing the red expansion section, The rain cover and the cash pouch.
Anyone have these available for sale?????
I haven't see any on ebay
jman

6Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Re: 85 K100 Tank bag on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:14 pm

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
Try Max BMW. They should have it.

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

7Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Re: 85 K100 Tank bag on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:53 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I wouldn't invest too much effort in looking for the rain cover. I've found mine to be ineffective, as it will lift off the bag due to the wind when you are underway. It billows up and the snaps pop off. Then, up, up and away!

8Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty ok on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:07 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Ok thanks.....I saw an aftermarket cover that has a draw string around the opening....might be a better choice

9Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Re: 85 K100 Tank bag on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:20 am

LWT_Big_Cheese

LWT_Big_Cheese
Silver member
Silver member
Shower cap?

What about one of those 1960's ladies swimming hats with the plastic flowers?

85 K100 Tank bag Thcaxj10

No warranty implied or given.

May contain nuts

10Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Re: 85 K100 Tank bag on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:30 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks! It appears that I'm missing the red expansion section, The rain cover and the cash pouch.
Anyone have these available for sale?????
I haven't see any on ebay

Be aware that there were at least three designs of multivario and that at some point they changed the zips (smaller or larger teeth, I can't remember which now). The centre section of one type will not fit another in some versions.

The earliest ones are like Paul's, grey/red/blue. The next is like yours, black/purple/yellow and the final version is all black. There were orange, then yellow and finally black rain covers.

85 K100 Tank bag K1%20BMW%20%28351%29-XL

11Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty I need on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:21 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
So I need a Purple center section only????? The other colors don't fit, correct?

And I need a yellow only rain cover????

12Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Re: 85 K100 Tank bag on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:30 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
In your place I'd find the one that matches the rest of the bag to avoid possibly ending-up with something that won't fit.

13Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty well, yeah,,, on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:49 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Well, that was the gist of the post, wasn't it? You were telling me what fits & that mine was the second gen. that uses the purple expander and the yellow rain cover, was it not??

14Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Re: 85 K100 Tank bag on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:59 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
You got a Multivario III, which got a all black center section.
I believe that all of the raincovers fits, just different colours.

85 K100 Tank bag Tankve10

15Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Great on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:36 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Well thank, that clears it up nicely. So the expand section that I'm probably looking for will be all black. I kind of thought all the rain covers might be the same. Some guys say the rain covers are poor design, billow up & blow off in the wind. Maybe that is why it's missing.
I would love to find one of those cool little zipper wallets that snap in to the back part of the lower section.
I'll let you know if/when I find an answer about possible test of the high altitude option.
Thank You

16Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Re: 85 K100 Tank bag on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:41 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
The all black version (I believe is the latest, still available) does not have the press-stud fixings.

The earlier rain covers have press studs to attach it to the bag. If the centre section of the bag is not in use the rain cover is supposed to be folded in such a way that the upper press studs on the cover are attached to the base section.

The latest rain cover is a light nylon fabric as opposed to the vinyl (orange/yellow) versions and the only means to secure it is a drawcord and toggle.

I'm just saying that there's a possibility that the constituent parts of different versions are not compatible. The earlier rain cover cannot be attached to the latest (all black) bag that has no press studs. The zips were changed at some point and this has reduced inter-changeability.  Therefore I'd advise finding parts that match the bag that you have rather than chance sourcing the parts only to find that they don't work with the bag that you have.

Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

17Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Re: 85 K100 Tank bag on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:49 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
@ibjman wrote:Some guys say the rain covers are poor design, billow up & blow off in the wind. Maybe that is why it's missing.
I have owned three of the four generations, and haven't got any problem with the raincovers (which all have been in different colours).
But I'll guess if the tank bag haven't been filled up properly....such way that the raincover fits thight this problem could arise.

18Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Re: 85 K100 Tank bag on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:58 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
@MikeP wrote:The all black version (I believe is the latest, still available) does not have the press-stud fixings.
Interesting, that makes five different generations....The latest I got is all black (Multivario 95) w/o a pouch and a all clear raincover with press-stud fixings.

19Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Interesting on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:18 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Well, The more I learn about this I realize that there is a lot more I don't know!
I wish I could test fit items I may find, but alas they will probably come from the internet.

If I understood correctly, The newer expando section would want for snaps that it does not contain, because when fully filled, the standard rain cover would be too short to reach all the way down to the snaps on the lower section?
Hence one would want to attach the covers bottom snaps higher up on the bag say......in the middle part of the expando?

If I do not find a suitable rain cover before I leave for the BMW rally in mid July, I'll just take along some 13 gallon white kitchen trash bags with the draw string top and put them upside down over the tank bag, then tie up the draw tape around the bottom.

20Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Re: 85 K100 Tank bag on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:01 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Not quite.

There are at least four, possibly five versions of the multivario.

AFAIK they all have three sections not including the harness and the rain-cover. Here are the constituent parts of the latest type. Earlier versions vary only inasmuch as they include a detachable pocket.

85 K100 Tank bag Multivario%20%281%29-XL

The parts are:

The harness,

85 K100 Tank bag Multivario%20%282%29-L

Note: There are different harnesses. The early bikes have a harness to match the different fuel filler position and the K1/K1100 is embossed with the models because the arms are at a different angle and require the fitting of metal clips to the tank itself:

85 K100 Tank bag K1%20BMW%20%28357%29-L

All other harnesses clip to the underside lip of the tank.

The base section:

85 K100 Tank bag Multivario%20%283%29-L

The centre section:

85 K100 Tank bag Multivario%20%284%29-L

The removable top for either the base or centre sections when they are used without another section above:

85 K100 Tank bag Multivario%20%285%29-L

The top section:

85 K100 Tank bag Multivario%20%286%29-L

The rain cover:

85 K100 Tank bag Multivario%20%287%29-L

The base section with the removable top fitted:

85 K100 Tank bag Multivario%20%288%29-L

The base and centre sections with the removable top now used on the centre section:

85 K100 Tank bag Multivario%20%289%29-L

The base section and the top section:

85 K100 Tank bag Multivario%20%2813%29-L

All three sections (the removal top is left out in this configuration otherwise it makes getting into the centre section very awkward):

85 K100 Tank bag Multivario%20%2811%29-L

With all three sections and the rain cover:

85 K100 Tank bag Multivario%20%2812%29-L

The earlier versions had a detachable pocket fixed with press-studs. This pocket could be fitted to the top section or inside the centre section. The latest version does not have the pocket so it does not have the press-studs to attach one.

Then there's the rain-cover. The early ones were fitted by press-studs. On the base section are male press-studs. The latest version does not have these press studs as the rain-cover is simply a pull-over cover with a draw cord at its base.

The early rain cover could be reduced in height commensurate with the chosen height of the tank-bag. This was achieved by press-studs at the base and part of the way up the rain-cover. In use the rain-cover is always attached to the base section of the tank-bag. To shorten the rain-cover to match the tank-bag height you fold the rain-cover from its lowest point up inside itself and attach it to the base via the press-studs that are part way up the cover.

It you look at the orange, yellow or clear vinyl rain-covers one set of press-studs appears to be fitted inside-out - that's because they used when the cover is folded in upon itself.

I really hope that this helps clear things up.

21Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty Thank You on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:17 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Thank You for that.   I have the 3 parts as circled:
85 K100 Tank bag Multiv10

It appears that I need 3 other parts shown + the little zipper wallet that is not in the photo

22Back to top Go down   85 K100 Tank bag Empty A kind soul on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:32 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
A kind soul from the BMWMOA forum was kind enough to send me an entire tank bag assy. for FREE last week. I had to discard the lower mounting plate which was for a different mod el anyway but all the upper parts were very good.. As stated here earlier the parts from his bag (red trim)would not fit the zippers from the parts from my bag (yellow trim).....but all the upper parts he sent work well together.

It appears that I'm still missing the secondary cover for the expand part. I see little use for it except for just the knowledge that I have a complete unit.

The upper part of the expand has 2 zippers adjacent to each other......I allume the inner of the 2 is designed for the false cover that I am missing? Seems the topmost section can be zipped to the top of the expand with either of the 2 zippers but the outer one appears more normal.

85 K100 Tank bag Sam_3510

This bag assy will be a great help along our trip to Salem. The expand section is just large enough to carry our rain gear.

I've never ridden with such a tall obstacle sticking up between the bars but in the actual riding position it's quite un-noticeable there aside from restricting the line of sight to the clocks.

The only other deficiencies are that the flat top of the map pocket falls away toward the front which puts the maps at a funny angle for viewing and the corners of the zippers between the tank bag and the base plate are quite troublesome to get correctly zipped if you take the bag completely off. As are the base plate straps nearly impossible to get unattached without a huge pair of vice grips, especially the right side one. I'm considering fiddling with the bending on those clips a bit to reduce their grip at the tank slightly. But I don't want to ruin them. I think I'll be reduced to leaving the bag empty on the mount plate at nights at the hotels & hope no one decides they need it more than I do.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum