BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

21degrees

21degrees
Hi All. My name is Mike and I've just put a 1988 K100RS under the carport. Such is the small size of these coastal blocks in suburbia that I can't fit a garage.

I bought the bike from a guy in Mackay and road it back last Monday. 900k's after a 20 year break...I was fresh when I started but let me tell you I was glad to walk through the front door...even if it was into a hail of abuse from the Mrs. Mad

I've two kids. One at Armidale studying Zooligy the other in Yr 10 studying XBOXNew member from Sunshine Coast, Australia 61740

The bike went well. It averaged 5.06L/100k. 10 1/2 hours from Mackay to Warana. Lots of road works down the Bruce Hwy...though I enjoyed doing stretches at the road blocks.

I've a couple of issues to resolve. 1 is a weave from the back end in high angle lean corners 2 is a backfire / crackle occasionally when backing off from high revs 3 the odometer is not working.

Pictures and stuff forthcoming

Cheers, Mike

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi mike ....a good intro ...cheers

nothing new there ..i recon a few of us will have some suggestions

there are quite a few posts in the forum already about those issues ......and a great search feature

welcome aboard mate !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Gidday Mike,

That sounded like a great "bike collection" trip, congrats on the purchase to btw.

I had a very quick 2 hour trip with trailer in tow, I had to admirer the bike in the mirrors all the way home.

Don't worry bout your year 10 and their intense studying of the XBOX course, mine as just come thru that with flying results and a A+ grading in PS2 and is now doing year 11..

Now it girlfriends, parties, and "were getting the band back together" screamo / heavy metal music out in the bungalow...

Best of luck with the bike

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
Hello mate , welcome to the clique .
This forum is your one stop shop for k bike knowledge and some solace in the company of other k addicts .
N.

http://www.airware.com.au

Hi mate and welcome.
Luckily you didn't take Rossko with you to collect the bike. He appears only satisfied with biblical bike collections.
Sean.

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
hi and welcome to the forum enjoy

cheers Tony

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Greetings Mike welcome to the Knuthaus.
If you go to the portal page and have a read of the "so you bought a K100 what now" page it will give you a good base for a new owner. For that weave check the steering head bearings and swinging arm bearings. If they need replacing don't buy "pyramid parts" from ebay or you will replace them again in short order.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard - pretty much all you need to know is here somewhere, if not just ask Wink

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome Mike!.....................I say if you're already in the dog house, you may as well jump back on the bike and come down to Narrandera for the 4th of May!!

'88 K100 RT
Chassis number: 0097248 ; Vehicle code: 0504; Series: K589
Model: K100RT 84 (0504 (0505) Body Type: K100RT 84 (0504)
Catalog Model: ECE; Engine: (0504); Production: 1988/9
New member from Sunshine Coast, Australia 13763011

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Howdy neighbour!

Well, half an hour away is considered a neighbour here in Oz.

Welcome to the Forum. Got questions? Ask away.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
I see, kind Sir, that you are agentleman of good taste. An 88 K100RS. Does your's have ABS?

BTW Velcome to dis Knuthouse.

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

21degrees

21degrees
Thanks for the warm welcome and invitation to ride to Narandra. The dates on the calander are clear for the 4th of May, this is very tempting...

I've been trawling through Chris Harris videos to the point I'm on information overload. Shocked

This forum is fantastic and its a real credit to the creators and its members.

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by 21degrees on Sat 27 Apr - 17:51; edited 1 time in total

21degrees

21degrees
larrikin wrote:I see, kind Sir, that you are agentleman of good taste. An 88 K100RS. Does your's have ABS?

More like a mug with good fortune. Yes its got Anti Blockier System written on the LH doover but but the RH doover is devoid of such information.

I've learned something new. The LH doover goes to the front brake.

Mike

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Mmmm, "doover".

You're already on top of the jagon. You'll fit right in.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

AuntieBB

AuntieBB
and all this time I've been getting it wrong calling it a doover lackey

oh yes,
welcome to the Forum

Life time member
Life time member
blaKey wrote:Mmmm, "doover".

You're already on top of the jagon. You'll fit right in.

Wait till he discovers the doohickey Laughing.

Welcome along Mike - some of us in the Northern hemisphere believe there is a K bike breeding program in Auz. Re the purchase...in these matters I work on the principle that forgivness is easier to obtain than permission, good luck with it.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
[in these matters I work on the principle that forgivness is easier to obtain than permission, good luck with it.

88[/quote]

New member from Sunshine Coast, Australia 44271

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Mike, you've only just scratched the surface,
wait till you've hit the 2nd and 3rd K, the doghouse will become more of a Knuthaus,
you will fit in just fine and dandy.
Welcome mate.
Ed.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
New member from Sunshine Coast, Australia 10_x_110

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
21degrees wrote:...I bought the bike from a guy in Mackay and road it back last Monday. 900k's after a 20 year break...

Welcome back after 20 years ... SmileSmile as the song says : "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave." I always thought that the lyrics are about motorcycle addiction.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the Forum....

5.06l/100km is very impressive....suggests a gingerly ride back. I must admit if at times you get to use the yokibob [something you twist with your right hand] a bit more while at the same time dropping the knee a little you will improve that a little, up to 6 or 7l/100km.

This brings a sense of enjoyment and realisation that the K is actually quite nimble. It also improves the quality of the ride so after 900 miles you feel not so much aching but more 'I could do that again'.

It also has the benefit of making one immune for some considerable time to the occasional atmospheric change when one enters inside closed doors to 'where have you been??????' Such a question can now be met by a huge grin of satisfaction as much as to say 'been enjoying myself and now is not a good time to argue the point'.

Enjoy it and also enjoy the K-rack!

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum