BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   need tranny help  Empty need tranny help Mon May 20, 2013 12:05 am

jeffhestand

jeffhestand
while trying to reassemble my tranny after the grub screw fix i noticed a small bearing sleeve stuck to the drain plug. Does the 2 shift forks on the top have this bearing sleeve ? I know the bottom shift fork has one but i cannot find the other one if the one i found is for the top shift forks. Can i get by without them? Once i put the tubes back in for the shift forks everything seems solid or am i just kidding myself? Ideas?

2Back to top Go down   need tranny help  Empty Re: need tranny help Mon May 20, 2013 12:14 am

Dewey V

Dewey V
It appears that one of the rollers fell off a shift fork during reassembly. No, you can't get by without it because the shift fork will not move the correct amount back and forth due to excess clearance between the pin and the cam-groove in the shift drum.
When reassembling them use a dab of grease to hold them in place.

3Back to top Go down   need tranny help  Empty Re: need tranny help Mon May 20, 2013 12:15 am

Dewey V

Dewey V
And yes, all three shift forks should have a roller on the cam pins.

4Back to top Go down   need tranny help  Empty here ya go Mon May 20, 2013 1:46 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
need tranny help  Roller10

5Back to top Go down   need tranny help  Empty Re: need tranny help Mon May 20, 2013 3:12 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the simple answer is yes you do need them on each pin.
Best to make the selector cold by putting it in the fridge and use some vaseline on the pin to keep the roller there when you assemble. Its another of those little tricks that I learned the hard way. Dont use grease use petroleum jelly/vaseline it will disolve away into the oil where the grease won't do that.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   need tranny help  Empty Re: need tranny help Mon May 20, 2013 11:37 am

jeffhestand

jeffhestand
is the selector # 6 on the diagram and is cylindrical? Is it fairly easy to remove. I am assuming the pins set is better if it is shruken a bit? I am just afraid of taking the tranny apart too much and not being able to put it back together right. Any body know of a write up?

7Back to top Go down   need tranny help  Empty Re: need tranny help Mon May 20, 2013 11:45 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Look in the "how to" section, I think twincarb did a write up last year.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum