BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
Any suggestions short of pulling the tranny to get the plastic tube that came off when I was trying to get the fluid level to perfect. out? It isn't in my line of sight and the diameter of the hose is slightly smaller than the fill hole. The hose is about 6" long.

I won't ride it with the tubing in the trans, for fear that it will get pulled through the gears and everything will come to a sudden stop.

2Back to top Go down   AWW NUTS  !!! Dropped a plastic tube in to the trans Empty Well Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:39 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
You could fish around in there for a few hours with a mechanical finger tool like this:
AWW NUTS  !!! Dropped a plastic tube in to the trans 71phxn10

You might just get lucky & pick up one end.........could also try fishing around through the drain plug hole and using additional picks etc to manipulate it around till you could grab an edge & carefully draw it out.
It may help to put 1 of these:
AWW NUTS  !!! Dropped a plastic tube in to the trans Image_10
Into one of the holes & fish through the opposite one!
I'm sure this will require a bit of patience!
Please let us all know what happens!!!!!
Good Luck,
Ibjman

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
Suction ?
Suction Plus inspection camera.?
Turn bike down side up ?

http://www.airware.com.au

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
Firstly, before you do anything else, make doubly treble sure you cant see it from either fill or drain hole. Blind fishing before you need to may knock if further out of the way.

shine strong torch in the hole your not looking in (may need a helper when lying under the bike trying to peer in the drain hole without getting oil in your eyes)

Alternativly, you could drop a few m6 nuts in there as well so you dont have to feel like splitting the 'box is a waste of time as you'll need to get those out now as well Wink

good luck

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
Well 4 hours of fishing with a coat hanger and electrical fish resulted in... nothing. Bought a inspection camera the head goes through the hole. The gear in the transmission blocks the camera from completely going in. I was planning on leaving for Salem on 7/11. Guess it will be by cage or plane. Bummer.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Try flushing the gearbox with gasoline a few times and you may be able to get it to move around andget to see it from one of the holes.
Once you get rid of the thick oil it should be a easier to get it to a hole and grab it by tilting the bike over to the right.
to get rid of the gas just change the oil after a short run like 1/2 mile and if you get it out have a good time at Salem.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   AWW NUTS  !!! Dropped a plastic tube in to the trans Empty Keep at it Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:07 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
keep at it. did you drain the oil & try the cam from the bottom? Lay the bike over on it's right side on some tire tubes, cushions or whatever, raise it up, hang it from the ceiling joists with heavy cargo straps if needed.
Get an air nozzle with a piece of small brake pipe on the front that you can bend the end a little, put it in through either hole & spray some air around in there, you're bound to move it to a place you can see it sooner or later. It could be oily & messy and difficult. you may need another pair of eyes/hands to assist you, but YOU CAN DO THIS!

Go get back at it.

You may need a tool similar to what I showed earlier that has the ability to spread out way wide at the end and then close around it like a clay. (They're really cheap).
Keep us posted, you have several days yet before you have to leave for Salem.
Go get it!
Regards, Ibj...

8Back to top Go down   AWW NUTS  !!! Dropped a plastic tube in to the trans Empty Also Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:08 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
You might need to put the machine in (Top) gear and slowly jog the gears around to move it also.
How big a diameter is it? and how long approx.?

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
Thank you all for the suggestions and support. It is truly appreciated. I spent another couple hours on this mess I made. starting by refilling the trans and ran it on the center stand in gear for over 10 minutes think that the hose (1/16' wall about 6" long and just about the size of the fill hole) might either jam in the gears or get chewed up. Drained oil after this exercise and found no ground up bits of plastic and the bike didn't miss a beat between 1000 and 3000 rpm in first thru fifth.

My garage space is very limited and the joists are covered in drywall, so I cant hang it upside down. Have a serious gripper tool that I've been fishing in the trans with to no avail. Talking with the vet tomorrow to see if I can score a set of forceps as a back=up plan.

Talked to my mechanic and tried his suggestions with no luck. He said he could tear it down, do the seal, splines,and what not in the beginning of August. May suck it up and let him do what I'm ill-equiped to do. That said, I'm not giving up until the hour I have to leave for this now meaningless 2500 mile trip to Salem.

Anyone want to buy my slot in the MFS2 class Saturday. Or, anyone going that would consider loaning me a brick fir the class?

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
If you lost the clear plastic tube off the gearoil bottle in here, use the rabbit ears off a telly. You could expect the bottom to have stayed where it fell and the bottle end to have tipped over if its flat on the floor of the box then the end must be below the hole so the button off the tv ears might just pick up the hole. If you do heat up the box then the plastic should be nice and pliable to bend and retrieve. If the tube is still upright then you can only lean it over and try to get it to let go og the oil film holding it over beside the boxes gear shaft, cant be 6" to the bottom so cant have gone far

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum