BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fitting intake rubbers Empty Fitting intake rubbers Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:16 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I've ordered new rubber connectors to fit the throttle bodies to the head.  Should the connectors be fitted dry or with a sealer?  If with a sealer, which should I use?  I'd used Dirko in the past on the old rubber connectors, but they began to leak within a few months. Crying or Very sad
Man, I hate the thought of working on those things again.  Space is so tight there....  Rolling Eyes

2Back to top Go down   Fitting intake rubbers Empty Fitting intake rubbers Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:14 pm

ironbutt

ironbutt
I'll be interested in the replies for this as I have to do this when I return from my trip. I would think no sealant but maybe a lite coat of wd-40 won't

harm the rubbers. Just my two cents. Where did you get yours from and what was the cost?

85 K100rs WB 1051307F0040102
2010 Camaro SS

3Back to top Go down   Fitting intake rubbers Empty Re: Fitting intake rubbers Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:25 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Those rubber bits are depressingly expensive at the local BMW dealer, so I ordered them from Motobins.  I figure I saved around $50 US in so doing. I just hope they are promptly shipped, as I plan to ride to Yellowstone in early August.  Surprised-o: 
Fingers crossed....  Fitting intake rubbers 652573

4Back to top Go down   Fitting intake rubbers Empty Re: Fitting intake rubbers Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
ironbutt wrote:I'll be interested in the replies for this as I have to do this when I return from my trip. I would think no sealant but maybe a lite coat of wd-40 won't

harm the rubbers. Just my two cents. Where did you get yours from and what was the cost?

woah there! stay away from rubber bits with any kind of oil based lubricants. there's a good chance they'll shorten the life of it. assemble with silicone grease if you need something to help them slip on or something like hylomar blue if you need something to help seal.

WD40 is for displacing water.

5Back to top Go down   Fitting intake rubbers Empty Fitting intake rubbers Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:10 pm

ironbutt

ironbutt
Woa K good point!

2010 Camaro SS

6Back to top Go down   Fitting intake rubbers Empty Re: Fitting intake rubbers Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
ironbutt wrote:Woa K good point!

heh - there is another branded lubricant which wont perish rubber.... or latex.Smile

7Back to top Go down   Fitting intake rubbers Empty intake rubber Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:54 pm

tezk100rs

tezk100rs
I'll be doing the same job soon and I would be looking at water inlet/outlet  pipe of same diameter from mining machinery eg Catepillar...these machines work in 40 degree centigrade heat all day everyday ..I used a Cat pipe on my pool pump and its still there 25 years later been in the sun and dosn't even look like perishing
Regards Terry

8Back to top Go down   Fitting intake rubbers Empty Fitting intake rubbers Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:15 pm

ironbutt

ironbutt
Fitting intake rubbers 44271

2010 Camaro SS

9Back to top Go down   Fitting intake rubbers Empty Re: Fitting intake rubbers Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hylomar Blue or Permatex Blue will do the job.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

10Back to top Go down   Fitting intake rubbers Empty Re: Fitting intake rubbers Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:35 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
anything that is fuel resistant ...there is a fair bit of it around those places

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

11Back to top Go down   Fitting intake rubbers Empty intake rubbers Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:15 am

tezk100rs

tezk100rs
Catepillar rubber resists anything...but there is a problem..the top of the carburetor is 40mm and the bottom of the plastic plenum chamber is 43mm...the original BMW part may be the only answer. I will try the cat hose first
Regards Terry

12Back to top Go down   Fitting intake rubbers Empty Re: Fitting intake rubbers Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:41 am

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
tezk100rs wrote:Catepillar rubber resists anything... I will try the cat hose first
Regards Terry

lol!

Best regards from CAT Dealer in Ger.
why do we sell rubber parts for CAT all the time

btw.
the lower side of the new intake rubbers has a little sealinglip .This is supposed to do its job.

if the Rubbers are ok:
you can mount them with 3-bond from BMW (usefull stuff anyway)
prt no: 07589062376

compl. part list : Partlist K75-K1100

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum