BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Awesome product for fork seal Empty Awesome product for fork seal Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:59 pm

commanderdrako

commanderdrako
Sealmate Fork Seal Cleaner by motion pro. I just saved a lot of money and time by using this inexpensive product. The left side of my fork was leaking bad until I used this product. I was going to change the fork seal but I came accross  this product. I ordered it bec it is inexpensive, I said I will give it a try. It has been more than a month since I used it with more than 1000 miles and my fork has no signs of leaks yet. Highly recommended. It is very easy to use too.

2009 Aprilia Tuono
1985 Yamaha Maxim X (sold)

2Back to top Go down   Awesome product for fork seal Empty Re: Awesome product for fork seal Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:32 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
The accumulation of grit and grime is what does fork seals in before their due time.

So, I keep a small rag on hand and wipe down the front forks after nearly every trip.

3Back to top Go down   Awesome product for fork seal Empty Re: Awesome product for fork seal Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:57 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
The other tip is once you have cleaned the fork get an old (or new) nylon stocking and rub it gently over the fork stanchion where the seal will pass over, if there are any bits of dirt or corrosion the nylon will catch on it and alert you so you can deal to each spot before it ruins the seal.
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   Awesome product for fork seal Empty Re: Awesome product for fork seal Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:57 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Best cure of the lot is to fit gaiters. No more worries.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

5Back to top Go down   Awesome product for fork seal Empty Re: Awesome product for fork seal Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:40 am

Yes gaiters are the way to go, my seals have lasted about 1500 miles with gaiters on, I would hate to think what it would be like without them.

6Back to top Go down   Awesome product for fork seal Empty Re: Awesome product for fork seal Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:09 am

frogy

frogy
Silver member
Silver member
bikerboy wrote:Yes gaiters are the way to go, my seals have lasted about 1500 miles with gaiters on, I would hate to think what it would be like without them.

Was that 1500, or 15000 ? Seems I would replacing mine a lot if it were 1500.Shocked

7Back to top Go down   Awesome product for fork seal Empty Re: Awesome product for fork seal Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:28 am

One thousand five hundred! The next set will be original BMW ones.
I have also now decided to put a small hole in the rear of each fork gaiter as they tend to hold a vacuum after a bit of work and that cannot be right.

8Back to top Go down   Awesome product for fork seal Empty Re: Awesome product for fork seal Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 am

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
I put new seals and gaiters on mine about 20,000 miles ago and have had no problem since.

9Back to top Go down   Awesome product for fork seal Empty Re: Awesome product for fork seal Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:48 pm

George R

I put new gaiters on my (new to me) K75RT at 5010 miles and when it was written off at 123,000 miles and 13 years later, it still
had the original fork seals and regularly changed oil under the gaiters.  I will say that once a year I lifted the gaiters and sprayed
the fork legs with thin oil under the dust seal.
However another K100 I knew of, in the same time and 20,00 miles, and no gaiters, had 4 sets of seals and a set of rechromed
forks and that set of forks is needing to be replaced. So, they may not look cool but they do save the beer vouchers in the wallet.

10Back to top Go down   Awesome product for fork seal Empty Re: Awesome product for fork seal Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:41 am

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
commanderdrako wrote:Sealmate Fork Seal Cleaner by motion pro. I just saved a lot of money and time by using this inexpensive product. The left side of my fork was leaking bad until I used this product. I was going to change the fork seal but I came accross  this product. I ordered it bec it is inexpensive, I said I will give it a try. It has been more than a month since I used it with more than 1000 miles and my fork has no signs of leaks yet. Highly recommended. It is very easy to use too.
I read this and made my own, (sorta)...with a brass spark plug gapping tool/feeler gauge from the auto parts shop.  Used brass because of the softness...seeking not to scratch the surface of the fork....worked it all around the fork.
It worked!..but I would/will buy that product recommended in this post.

Brass tool did not survive the process....but was interested in the thought behind the idea.
I think that it is a valid idea and certainly is a cheap start to fixing a leaky seal even if a replacement is needed.

Wow!

Anyway...certainly do inspect and wipe the forks with a soft cotton rag when needed.

FWIW.
Jim

11Back to top Go down   Awesome product for fork seal Empty Re: Awesome product for fork seal Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:17 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
If you have an old set of feeler gauges, the thin whippy ones do the same job.

12Back to top Go down   Awesome product for fork seal Empty Re: Awesome product for fork seal Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:39 am

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
Meant to send along in previous send, the link, which has youtube link as well.

http://sealmate.net/

Thanks Mike.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum