BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty More water pump woes Thu 01 Aug 2013, 21:28

bolts

bolts
I realise that this topic has been covered many times before on this forum and the Downloads section and there are You tube videos, however I have stumbled at the first hurdle.
I rec'd my overhaul kit from Motobins, 1 x seal kit, 1 x impellor, 1 x gear and shaft and believe the parts, in particular the oil seal are correct.

When I dismantled the pump it took a fair bit of force to remove the gear and shaft, consequently the seals were were extensively damaged and was hard to figure out what went where.

I gather that the cone shape side (also markings on this side) goes toward the front (water side) of pump. I have spent all yesterday afternoon and this morning trying to get the oil seal in using a 18mm socket and a rubber mallet. The walls on the seal i have are quite rigid and I just dont understand how a seal of OD of approx 25mm goes thru/in a flange of 15.5mm diameter.

[img
More water pump woes Oil_se11

New oil seal

When I dismantled the pump it took a fair bit of force to remove the gear and shaft, consequently the seals were were extensively damaged and was hard to figure out what went where.

More water pump woes Water_10

Is this where seal locates?

More water pump woes Oil_se12

What I be better off using a tool, as above, to insert the seal?

1948 AJS 500
All on club plates

2Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Thu 01 Aug 2013, 21:33

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I think you will find that there is some of the original seal left behind by the looks of the 2nd picture.
Have you got the old oil seal out yet.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Thu 01 Aug 2013, 22:21

bolts

bolts
RicK G wrote:I think you will find that there is some of the original seal left behind by the looks of the 2nd picture.

Do you mean the black ring below the arrow head?

1948 AJS 500
All on club plates

4Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Thu 01 Aug 2013, 23:34

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep thee seal is still in there

I think I remember doing this before

the ridge goes towards the front of the assembly ...yes  

I think I can still remember where my post is ...it might help ...back in a sec

https://www.k100-forum.com/t1833p250-85-rt-resto-my-attempt-hey-im-not-into-making-a-show-bike#34154

Last edited by charlie99 on Thu 01 Aug 2013, 23:49; edited 1 time in total

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Thu 01 Aug 2013, 23:38

bolts

bolts
RicK G wrote:I think you will find that there is some of the original seal left behind by the looks of the 2nd picture.

Yes you are right Rick. There was remnants of the old seal still there, I thought it was black undercutting similar to back side of pump.
Now how do I get the new seal down there?

1948 AJS 500
All on club plates

6Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Fri 02 Aug 2013, 00:45

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Use a properly sized pipe key (is that the right term?).
I used a piece of rubber between the tool and the seal, as well as a rubber mallet. Should be no problem getting it in that way.

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

7Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Fri 02 Aug 2013, 03:01

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I usually make sure to clean the seating surface well and put a smear of permatex red RTV and then put the seal on my little finger and put it in the right position and use a socket the right size and a small press I made to put it in.
Make sure the shaft is good at the seal contact point and not rust pitted or grooved as a lot are.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Fri 02 Aug 2013, 03:37

bolts

bolts
Have cleaned all surfaces and Shaft is new. 
Still not sure how far seal goes in.

1948 AJS 500
All on club plates

9Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Fri 02 Aug 2013, 03:39

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
did you have a look at my link ?

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Fri 02 Aug 2013, 04:53

bolts

bolts
charlie99 wrote:did you have a look at my link ?

Yes I did. 
I should have said I can't see how the seal can be driven down to the lowest flange  given that
1. The OD of the seal is 25 mm
2. The seal itself is fairly rigid and would not easily bend.
3. The diameter of the holes thru which he seal has to go is 14 or 15 mm, haven't got the exact measurement now.

1948 AJS 500
All on club plates

11Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Fri 02 Aug 2013, 06:37

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
25mm for the seal ?  it should only be about 16 or 17mm ... that's  for the oil pump side  dome up

12Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty something missing Fri 02 Aug 2013, 08:29

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
The installer is missing something here.
As stated above, the metal "shell" of the old deteriorated seal is still pressed into his housing ....it looks kind of like sheet metal material.
 He can probably "drive" it out from the back side with a blunt round punch (quite easily?)
CAUTION: be very careful not to scratch the sides of the aluminum housing with any tools.

Once the old seal is completely out and the area gently cleaned with some very fine emery paper, the new seal will press in quite easily with only minimal pressure. As mentioned above a tiny coat of RTV sealant along the outside wall (only) of the seal.......will make it slippery and even easier to press in while adding to the security of the seal itself.
 Personally, I don't use any sealer on these type seals......maybe a light coat of motor oil if you need some lube......they are neoprene on the outside too and will seal against a smooth clean bore.

As stated before, the coned center lip will face the front (away from the oil pump gears).

Another way to view it is that on any standard "Lip" seal the sealing lip has a small "garter spring" around the
inside diameter of the lip.
 The garter spring always faces the oil (In).

There is also lots to learn about installing the water side seal depending upon which model seal & shaft assy you happen to have.
 Many people have to attempt this at least twice before they learn how to get it correct.

Good luck, Ibj....

13Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Fri 02 Aug 2013, 15:54

bolts

bolts
ibjman wrote:The installer is missing something here.
As stated above, the metal "shell" of the old deteriorated seal is still pressed into his housing ....it looks kind of like sheet metal material.

Now I get it Very Happy.
Thanks all for your input.
The metal shell of the old seal was still in the housing. When Rick and Charlie first mentioned I thought they meant some rubber left behind - not the metal shell itself. It was only after reading this post and then comparing Charlies photos with mine that the penny dropped.

I have now removed all the old seal (see pic) and will lightly emery the surfaces and then get on with the job.

Thanks again fellas cheers

More water pump woes Img_3510

1948 AJS 500
All on club plates

14Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Fri 02 Aug 2013, 17:45

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yay !!
well done... your on your way !

15Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty I'll give Fri 02 Aug 2013, 17:52

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I'll give Rick & Charlie credit for the "quoted" post.....LOL.
Hugs, Ibj...

16Back to top Go down   More water pump woes Empty Re: More water pump woes Fri 02 Aug 2013, 23:09

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
My experience of the same job here mate.

https://www.k100-forum.com/t4749-oil-water-pump-seals-replacement

One or two useful photos and links.

The type of sealant you use on the pump mating faces is important; standard sealants like blue hylomar etc are not suitable.

Cheers
Dave

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum