BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:51 am

papajhotel

papajhotel
http://papajhotel.wordpress.com/2013/07/01/the-k100-project/

Above is the link to the blog I'm running on my K100 conversion. If successful, I think it will end up sort of half way between a street fighter and café racer. I'm about to fit the Dakota Digital speedo, so any advice is welcome! I emailed Dakota Digital before purchase, and they advised I could use the BMW rear wheel speed sensor. After browsing the forum, I'm not so sure!

2Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:45 am

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
I like it! Where did you get the exhaust collector?

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

3Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:00 pm

papajhotel

papajhotel
Erman wrote:I like it! Where did you get the exhaust collector?

Found it on eBay. A guy was selling an after market can off a K100LT. I bought it for the collector, told him to bin the can and just post the collector!

4Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:20 pm

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
I see so many K Bike café racer projects and can only guess that its a cheap entry level project for the younger blokes. Don't get me wrong I like a good café bike, and I like the look of some of the café K's. But will your sweet sounding fuel injected flat four with self cancelling indicators really shake the windows of the pub when you arrive. I guess you'll have to leave that part to the fast back Nortons . Beauty really is in the eye of the beer holder. Good luck with the project.

Smithy

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

5Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Pretty much done! Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:53 am

papajhotel

papajhotel
From this
Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! PjB_abEzMsKzF0rskwgz1wqic6pCFed_0j1Epqq8v6g=w388-h218-p-no
To this in 4 months. I'm pretty happy for my 1st build.
Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! K100+Project+%252898%2529
Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! K100+Project+%252897%2529

6Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Now to get it running right! Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:56 am

papajhotel

papajhotel
After putting it back together it starts, sometimes idles, but dies with throttle. I replaced the fuel filter when I had the tank off. I'm thinking air in the lines. Any advice appreciated!

7Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:06 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check that the throttle position sensor is plugged in properly and also the Mass air flow sensor or air flow meter and some call it is plugged in and the temp sensor on the side of the air box

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:12 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
I like how you have removed that superfluous piece of fuel tank....very tidy " non Cafe racer"
By the way Hutch I used to work on A21-22 prior to working at ARDU in the late 80's small world hey.

Last edited by Klompy the grey brick on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Au-log10

9Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:16 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looks sweet
should howl a little

good job !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:48 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
papajhotel wrote: I emailed Dakota Digital before purchase, and they advised I could use the BMW rear wheel speed sensor. After browsing the forum, I'm not so sure!
Not without a conditioning circuit.  I built one based on a schematic published on Motobrick.  Video below shows my bench test of the circuit:
https://youtu.be/lgKV51duIjk

The LED blinks for each time the final drive sender passes by the speed sensor.  The blinking is hard to see because it is short in duration.  The output is normally high (+5V) and goes low for each transition.
Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! DSC_0034

Last edited by robmack on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total

11Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:31 am

papajhotel

papajhotel
robmack wrote:
papajhotel wrote: I emailed Dakota Digital before purchase, and they advised I could use the BMW rear wheel speed sensor. After browsing the forum, I'm not so sure!
Not without a conditioning circuit.  I built one based on a schematic published on Motobrick.  Video below shows my bench test of the circuit:
https://youtu.be/lgKV51duIjk

The LED blinks for each time the final drive sender passes by the speed sensor.  The blinking is hard to see because it is short in duration.  The output is normally high (+5V) and goes low for each transition.
Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! DSC_0034
Thanks Rob,
I ended up running a sensor to the front wheel. I calibrated it today, works fine.

12Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:34 am

papajhotel

papajhotel
RicK G wrote:Check that the throttle position sensor is plugged in properly and also the Mass air flow sensor or air flow meter and some call it is plugged in and the temp sensor on the side of the air box
Thanks Rick,
Kicked it over today and it ran fine! Been on a maiden voyage!

13Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Thumbs up! Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:39 am

xpc316e

xpc316e
Gold member
Gold member
I have just checked out the blog of your build, and found your project really interesting.  I must first admit that I am not the world's biggest fan of the café racer style, but when a job has been done properly I can appreciate it.  I shall not be ripping off fairings etc. to follow your lead, but it must be said that you have created a gorgeous machine.  Some of your solutions to problems are really innovative and elegant.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

14Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:09 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
xpc316e wrote:I have just checked out the blog of your build, and found your project really interesting.  I must first admit that I am not the world's biggest fan of the café racer style, but when a job has been done properly I can appreciate it.  I shall not be ripping off fairings etc. to follow your lead, but it must be said that you have created a gorgeous machine.  Some of your solutions to problems are really innovative and elegant.
Exactly.
We can't all agree on what is nice and what is not, but we can all agree on a job well done.
Very nice work.
Oh, I do like it.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

15Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:23 pm

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Good job.

I really like that "hornet orange."

I'm planning a re-spray of my bike next year (as soon as I finish paying it off) and am going away from the traditional red brown to something more like an orange brown.

Hard to tell from photos alone, does hornet orange have any metal flake in it?

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

16Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:38 pm

papajhotel

papajhotel
AJ.Valente wrote:Good job.

I really like that "hornet orange."

I'm planning a re-spray of my bike next year (as soon as I finish paying it off) and am going away from the traditional red brown to something more like an orange brown.

Hard to tell from photos alone, does hornet orange have any metal flake in it?
Just a little! More flake than I expected. It is apparently a fairly new product line called 'vibrance'.
Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! K100+Project+%2528100%2529

17Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:33 am

Moomin_Man

Moomin_Man
Scrolled through your blog in a state of awe! Simply stunning!

18Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:10 am

papajhotel

papajhotel
Moomin_Man wrote:Scrolled through your blog in a state of awe! Simply stunning!
Thanks for the compliment! I'm planning to take it to Tasmania in Feb 2014 for some more sport touring duties.

19Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:25 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
rossko wrote:
xpc316e wrote:I have just checked out the blog of your build, and found your project really interesting.  I must first admit that I am not the world's biggest fan of the café racer style, but when a job has been done properly I can appreciate it.  I shall not be ripping off fairings etc. to follow your lead, but it must be said that you have created a gorgeous machine.  Some of your solutions to problems are really innovative and elegant.
Exactly.
We can't all agree on what is nice and what is not, but we can all agree on a job well done.
Very nice work.
Oh, I do like it.
+1. Great work. Very Happy

20Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:39 am

TöbendenStièr

TöbendenStièr
big fan of the look you have created

in terms of the instrument cluster what have you done there?  Picture???

21Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:51 am

papajhotel

papajhotel
TöbendenStièr wrote:big fan of the look you have created

in terms of the instrument cluster what have you done there?  Picture???
The unit is from Dakota Digital. There is a hyperlink on the blog to their site. Very smick. It gives 0-100km/h times, 1/4 mile times. Peak speed and rpm. Gear postion indicator via matching speed to rpm. Will update photos and setup when I get home on Sunday.

22Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:56 am

TöbendenStièr

TöbendenStièr
no need for posting pics

just took a look at the blog-it's all there 

awesome work

23Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty NICE! Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:33 am

ssj_Gill

ssj_Gill
i like what you have done, very similar to what i'm trying to achieve. what have you done with the two computer boxes though? i dont have space under my tank for them

24Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:44 pm

papajhotel

papajhotel
ssj_Gill wrote:i like what you have done, very similar to what i'm trying to achieve. what have you done with the two computer boxes though? i dont have space under my tank for them
I only had the Bosch ecu box to relocate. I have it bolted to the underside of the seat pan, between the frame rails.

25Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:28 am

MikeisonTV

MikeisonTV
Silver member
Silver member
Awesome K conversion! I'm trying to use a Dakota Digital speedo myself….having trouble with the Pulse. Did u add a Dakota Digital brand speed sensor to the front wheel or?

26Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:05 pm

papajhotel

papajhotel
MikeisonTV wrote:Awesome K conversion! I'm trying to use a Dakota Digital speedo myself….having trouble with the Pulse. Did u add a Dakota Digital brand speed sensor to the front wheel or?
I did use a Dakota Digital sensor, it counts the wheel studs
Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! K100-project-78a

27Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 am

MikeisonTV

MikeisonTV
Silver member
Silver member
Robmack, do you have any pics of the underside of your circuit? 

I'm going to attempt this in a week or so. I have the parts list you sent me but don't know in what order to solder the pieces. I'm more of the mechanical mind than the electrician.

28Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Mon May 04, 2015 10:37 pm

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day PJH ,
                 spotted the bike heading outbound on the Eastern freeway yesterday morning at 11.30am ( I was driving inbound ) jeez it doesn't half stand out , the orange caught my eye 1st then that crazy ducktail ! , hope it's still going well

John R

29Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 pm

papajhotel

papajhotel
JR_K100RS wrote:G'day PJH ,
                 spotted the bike heading outbound on the Eastern freeway yesterday morning at 11.30am ( I was driving inbound ) jeez it doesn't half stand out , the orange caught my eye 1st then that crazy ducktail ! , hope it's still going well

John R
Hi John,
It's going great! I'm hardly riding my K1200R at the moment. Every time I go to ride somewhere I pick the K100!

30Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Mon May 04, 2015 10:52 pm

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Well done you !

Ciao

John R

31Back to top Go down   Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Empty Re: Don't Call it a Cafe Racer! Tue May 05, 2015 3:39 am

Busas

Busas
Silver member
Silver member
Hi,

Nice Job and Amazing atitude.

Congrats

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum