BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Empty Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:27 pm

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
Hi K Heads,

I'm in the process of dismantling the clutch assembly and in the back of my mind are old stories of injury through the clutch assembly flying apart as the cover plate comes off?

Is this a concern on the K. I admit to being a mechanical noob. The bolts are out, and the plate is not the happiest thing I've seen to come from it's home, but is is moving.

I just wanna know should I keep my hands well clear should it unleash.

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Regards,

Jez

study

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It doesn't come out at a million mph once it clears the locating pins it is stress free and will cause you no harm unless you drop it on your foot.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Empty Cheers. Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Rick,

I knew someone knowledgeable would be keeping an eye out.

Jez

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
+ 1 with rickg on that, wear steelcap boots if a noob or till ya learn not to drop things carry on you're doing fine

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
Gottem on as I type!

6Back to top Go down   Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Empty Stinkin" O Ring! Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:40 am

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
Any hints on getting that stinkin O ring out? tried sharpened coat hanger wire bent and sharpened 3" nails, went to the local hardware, brought a scriber, can't get a hold of that li'l blighter.

Am I to understand that when this piece of pesky rubber is out, that the housing will follow?

Good call on the main drive O/P seal though, there's a good old flow of oil, 'specally with all the foreign movement going on.

Jez.:pale:

7Back to top Go down   Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Empty Got 'er! Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:50 am

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
Got it, li'l M%$#%$^%&!

🤡

Jez

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
What I have done is to sharpen a small screwdriver like a chisel and then cut it into 4 pieces then stab one at a time with some .6 mig wire and out it comes.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

9Back to top Go down   Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Empty Replacing rear OP seal. Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:55 am

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
OK so the clutch is off and while I mull over exactly how everything goes back and what  need to replace, I'm doing a little housework cleaning like SWMBO.

Every time I look like at my photos, and look at Motobins Website, It looks straight forward, but am I correct in assuming that the output spline forward from the clutch housing remains "wet" the OP shaft seal (along with the O ring) is actually to keep the oil forward of the Intermediate flange. This constitutes the barrier between the dry clutch area and the "wet" engine area.

Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Img_4112
This Bad Boy, Mine was sitting very flush ( believe it's supposed to sit 1mm proud, although I guess its bedded down by the Flange?)

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,
Jez

Last edited by Jez on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Stickler for gramma, even on the internet.)

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
BMW say in the manual to leave a replacement seal .5mm proud of the engine case. This is so the sealing lip runs on new material and not in a groove that may or may not be there from the OEM seal running on the seal surface.
If the surface is clean with no markings that you can feel by running a finger nail across it then I reinstall the seal into the cases in the same position as the original was. If there is a track or groove then I use an after market seal which is 50mm x 80mm x 8mm which is 2mm narrower than the OEM and runs in a position that is about 1mm away from the worn area.
If you do use the after market seal then specify Viton material because the usual nitrile seal will not stand up to the heat and you will be back in within 20 000k to do it all again.

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
Jez wrote:OK so the clutch is off and while I mull over exactly how everything goes back and what  need to replace, I'm doing a little housework cleaning like SWMBO.

Every time I look like at my photos, and look at Motobins Website, It looks straight forward, but am I correct in assuming that the output spline forward from the clutch housing remains "wet" the OP shaft seal (along with the O ring) is actually to keep the oil forward of the Intermediate flange. This constitutes the barrier between the dry clutch area and the "wet" engine area.

Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Img_4112
This Bad Boy, Mine was sitting very flush ( believe it's supposed to sit 1mm proud, although I guess its bedded down by the Flange?)

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,
Jez
Looking at the thrust washer you can see it has a small lip. mine split at 90.000miles and cause a great rattle. I don't know how long these last, but you may want to consider replacing it Whilst you are so far into the engine. They are rather expensive for what they are. $25, but it may pay to do it now

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

12Back to top Go down   Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Empty Gear Position Switch Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:39 am

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
While cleaning the Gearbox the plastic around the gear position switch has begun to break down. I though I might just set the whole plug again in resin or some such. Any ideas on an appropriate plastic, resin? Builders bog?

No need for heat resistance?

Jez

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Jez wrote:While cleaning the Gearbox the plastic around the gear position switch has begun to break down. I though I might just set the whole plug again in resin or some such. Any ideas on an appropriate plastic, resin? Builders bog?

No need for heat resistance?

Jez
Yes. Any of the above. Just something waterproof.
If you pull it apart, do it in a zip lock bag with the bag zipped.
Unscrew it from the gearbox and then pop it in the bag.
The two halves just come apart though may need coaxing.
If you remember the pickup springs from AFX HO scale cars as being very small things then these bits are smaller.
I lost a spring and thought I would use a AFX one. Twice as big as required.

Jez, scroll down through Crazy Frog's POST it has some good pics and info

Last edited by rossko on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have done 4 of those in a polyeurathane glue like sikaflex or if you want the same stuff at half the price Bostik seal and flex. Takes about 2 days to cure and is everything proof.
It has the same consistency as silicone but you can clean up with turps and make sure the surface is as clean as possible. Break up all the rubbery hard stuff up and get as much as possible off then I use a toothbrush and scrub it out with turps or petrol and leave it in the sun to dry. When you apply the stuff get it down around the sides where the cover was as there is a joint there that is almost invisible sometimes. As rossKo was saying if you pull it apart be very careful.

15Back to top Go down   Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Empty Doh! I snapped me gear lever! Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:50 am

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
Argh!Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. 61740 

Does anybody have a gear lever they can afford to part with in Sydney? Payment in cash, beer or other within reason.

While I've got your attention, any body have a clutch centering tool? My tool making facilities here are rudimentary to say the least, a main seal drift would be excellent also. 

Eternal gratefulness is promised along with the return of the tools.

Jez.

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Jez wrote:Argh!Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. 61740 

Does anybody have a gear lever they can afford to part with in Sydney? Payment in cash, beer or other within reason.

While I've got your attention, any body have a clutch centering tool? My tool making facilities here are rudimentary to say the least, a main seal drift would be excellent also. 

Eternal gratefulness is promised along with the return of the tools.

Jez.
Sorry Jez, no lever or drift, but use a socket and a pencil to centre the clutch. It is only to hold it briefly while you tighten a couple of the bolts.
Socket sits snug in the clutch spline.
Pencil sits snug inside the socket.
Sharp pencil point sits nicely in the 'other bit'
Bingo.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
Cheers Rossko,

Yeah I think I may revert to the clever "tool" I saw somewhere on the forum; long socket drilled out with clutch push rod thru the guts.

Oh BTW, does anyone know the Gear shift lever hole size? just in-case I have to revert to the  generic jobby whilst I get "The Frau" back on the road. Mine is broke an the spiggot is taped up for masking as the gearbox is going black.

Jez

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Use the transmission as the centering tool.  Install the clutch plates, get them centered by eyeball and snug the screws so that the assembly won't move under its own weight but will shift if pushed.  Use the "M8 bolts with the heads cut off" trick to align the transmission and ease its maneuvering.  Then take the transmission and mate it up to the bell housing.  The input splines on the transmission will line up the clutch assembly. Carefully remove the transmission and torque the clutch bolts without disturbing the clutch position.  

Or try this trick (Papermate permanent marker):

https://servimg.com/view/11165681/86

Last edited by robmack on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

I got a socket that fit inside the clutch hole. Then got the clutch push rod and put it through the socket to get a rough idea of how far in it would go. I then took the rod out and wrapped electrical tap around it at the right spot so it would sit center and tight in the socket. Lots of tape so it fitted inside the socket. Instant clutch centering tool.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Supprisingly they aren't real fussy about alignment I did one by eye some time ago and the tranny went on first time.

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
Ok so the rebuilding starts today,
and I already have a piece left over! from a bag marked "2 bits fell out when intermediate flange removed"
One is the spring (which I gotta say fits so much neater if its flipped 180 deg, see pic below fiche) and the other washer/shim(?) is part 2 on the fiche?

Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Microi13

Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Img_4211
Don't tell me it doesn't go this way!

Below is the bit I'm unsure of.
Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Img_4212
Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Img_4213

Anybody?

Jez

stingin' to get back on the road, I keep getting bike envy (even the Madasses).

22Back to top Go down   Removing Cover Plate from Clutch Assy. Empty All Going again Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
Well, it's all back together and running again, now for the fuel delivery system.

Jez

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum