BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:56 pm

mack8882

mack8882
Hello,

Earlier this year I had my clutch give out on my 91 K100RS during a ride. Now I'm having trouble diagnosing what part is missing on my clutch (i've attached pic links below with a view from straight on and underneath). I'm hoping somebody can identify the issue/the part(s) needed, so I know what to repair and then take a stab at fixing it. 

Thanks,
Craig

https://i.servimg.com/u/f74/17/60/61/94/dsc_0211.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f74/17/60/61/94/dsc_0212.jpg

2Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty Re: Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:37 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
It would be item #3 or #10

Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Clutch10

3Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty The pictures Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:30 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
The pictures are somewhat helpful, I'll guess you need the #3 nipple as mentioned above + a new clutch cable.
 I'm guessing the end of the cable broke off allowing the nipple (drum) to fall out.
Regards, Ibjman

4Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty Re: Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:35 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes indeed ibj .....the area of the cable  just before the swage of the lug seems most susceptible to fracturing ... we have seen this many times in the forum .

my guess is that the adaptor for the cable lug to the lever moves around more than only rotating  ....might be worth putting that adaptor on the list for  regular maintenance or at least lubricating with more than yearly attention .

been there as well mack

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty Righteeooo Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:55 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I grease the barrel fittings on both ends of the cable at the top & bottom lever each time I lube stuff. I use graphite grease on those places.......lighter stuff than the Honda 60. Ususally graphite based wheel bearing grease.......it's light, almost oily.
Regards, Ibj...

6Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty Re: Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:15 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
It's an old trick but when replacing a cable, leave the old one in place to guide the new one and then leave it there. It may be stretched due to old age but it will be good enough to keep you rolling if the current one snaps. Just tape the ends out of the way.

7Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty That would Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:17 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
That would be a great idea as to pulling the new one through with the old one, but since his current one is broken, It would be of no value as a preinstalled spare.
Regards, Ibj...

8Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty Re: Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:26 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
ibjman wrote:That would be a great idea as to pulling the new one through with the old one, but since his current one is broken, It would be of no value as a preinstalled spare.
Regards, Ibj...
 I appreciate that the old one is knackered in the OP's case, it's just a tip.

9Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty Re: Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:29 am

mack8882

mack8882
Thank you all for your help! I was close to taking to a local shop to have it fixed.

Craig

10Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty Re: Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:44 pm

mack8882

mack8882
I've finally got around to replacing the clutch cable and now I can't seem to figure out how to attach the cable to the clutch lever on the handlebar. I attached it on the transmission/clutch release end and have run the cable up to the handlebar area, but I can't get the end of the cable through the nut and adjusting screw to reach the clutch lever. 

Could someone provide a step-by-step on this? I'm admittedly a novice and appreciate the help. I've included pics of where I'm at so far.

Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue <a href=Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Photo_12
Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue <a href=Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Photo_13" />
Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue <a href=Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Photo11" />

11Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty Re: Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:22 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Mack, its much easier to attach cable on the hand lever first (adjusting nut on the lowest position). The easiest way to attach other side down is to push the cable through the hole on the gearbox. case, than push the lower lever with some stronger screwdriver and attach the cable. Use screwdriver as arm between underside of clutch lever and gearbox. Than adjust the cable: it has to be 75 mm from lever to gearbox, and 4-5 mm play on hand lever.

Hope it helped (my english?)

12Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty Re: Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:28 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
As Nino said, first attach cable on the hand lever.
Best regards
JAP

13Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty Re: Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:58 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I don't know if it's a necessary step but I take the clutch lever off to do this.

+1 on doing the lever end first.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

14Back to top Go down   Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Empty Re: Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:34 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
And to be shure that your new cable get a long and unstressed life,
keep the barrel at the upper end of the cable well lubed.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum