BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wildwestrider

wildwestrider
I'm interested in changing my 87 K75 factory instrument cluster for something different. I would consider separate vintage style analog Speedometer and Tach with LED lights for other functions/alerts like temp, neutral, fuel low level, gear, etc,..................or...............would equally consider a full digital M/C panel.

I'm guessing that everything on the factory panel is electronic,.....so don't know if this is possible. I've considered one of the retro style speedos with a magnetic pickup that mounts on the fork tube,....and a magnet on a wheel spoke. Don't know if there is a Tach that would work with the K75 3 cylinder.

Anyone done this with either a digital panel or analogs?

Brian in Austin.

Last edited by wildwestrider on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I'm in the middle of a construction project which will replace the instrument cluster on my naked K75 with a Motogadgets Classic speedometer.  There are others on this forum who have done similar using the Acewell speedometer.  It is doable with additional circuits to replace the ones inside the instrument cluster that are necessary to perform mandatory actions, such as enabling the start circuit, simulating the Neutral light, displaying the turn signal indicator, etc.  Have you selected the instrument cluster replacements yet?  There is Motogadgets, Dakota Digital, Acewell, Autometer and VDO to name a few.

The magnetic sensor on the front wheel will work. There is a circuit floating around which allows the OEM speedo sensor to be repurposed for use with a modern speedometer.

Of the manufacturers I mentioned above, many produce analog speedometers that integrate digital tach functions.  For example, the Motogadgets Classic has tach input but no means to show current RPM.  Instead, it reads RPM values from the input and performs two functions with the information -- alarm when readline is encountered or exceeded and gear indicator.  You'll have to investigate the various options available with the instruments of your choice to see how you can fashion a replacement instrument cluster.  It is useful to get inspiration from Larry Romestandt's work (http://specialks.net/)

Last edited by robmack on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Highlight links)

wildwestrider

wildwestrider
robmack wrote:I'm in the middle of a construction project which will replace the instrument cluster on my naked K75 with a Motogadgets Classic speedometer.  There are others on this forum who have done similar using the Acewell speedometer.  It is doable with additional circuits to replace the ones inside the instrument cluster that are necessary to perform mandatory actions, such as enabling the start circuit, simulating the Neutral light, displaying the turn signal indicator, etc.  Have you selected the instrument cluster replacements yet?  There is Motogadgets, Dakota Digital, Acewell, Autometer and VDO to name a few.

The magnetic sensor on the front wheel will work. There is a circuit floating around which allows the OEM speedo sensor to be repurposed for use with a modern speedometer.

Of the manufacturers I mentioned above, many produce analog speedometers that integrate digital tach functions.  For example, the Motogadgets Classic has tach input but no means to show current RPM.  Instead, it reads RPM values from the input and performs two functions with the information -- alarm when readline is encountered or exceeded and gear indicator.  You'll have to investigate the various options available with the instruments of your choice to see how you can fashion a replacement instrument cluster.  It is useful to get inspiration from Larry Romestandt's work (http://specialks.net/)
In terms of what I choose,......ease of conversion/installation would be a big factor. I have looked at Larry's page. He builds some beautiful bikes.

Brian

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
K is vintage

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
zonenfeile wrote:K is vintage
Let's be specific -- K instruments are Ugly Vintage. However, the rest of the K is Beautiful Vintage. Brian wants Beautiful Vintage, through and through.

wildwestrider

wildwestrider
Yeah,......what he said.

BC

Izzypop

Izzypop
Hello,

I see that you decided already you´ll go for vintage style, however I´d like to tell you about my updated Instrument project...

I´m in the middle of an University project to get the instrumentation of bikes like ours way more advanced than modern bikes...

As I briefly explained on my introduction,

The idea is to gather all data from the bikes sensors using Arduinos and use it to make fuctional a very complete OEM instrument panel for the day to day use and add an Android BT device to present SCADA information, log data and probably use it as Crazy Frog suggested as a Diagnosis tool... 

I´d add an accelerometer to de signals and maybe more.

Any help/suggestions'd be appreciated

Regards

Izzy

Very Happy

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Heads up display.

Thanks.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

9Back to top Go down   I would like to replace my K75 factory gauges with either vintage look analogs or complete digital panel Empty HUD Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 pm

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
+1 on The HUD,

seen this?  The Forcite Helmet.

Jez.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Izzypop wrote:Hello,

I see that you decided already you´ll go for vintage style, however I´d like to tell you about my updated Instrument project...

I´m in the middle of an University project to get the instrumentation of bikes like ours way more advanced than modern bikes...

As I briefly explained on my introduction,

The idea is to gather all data from the bikes sensors using Arduinos and use it to make fuctional a very complete OEM instrument panel for the day to day use and add an Android BT device to present SCADA information, log data and probably use it as Crazy Frog suggested as a Diagnosis tool... 

I´d add an accelerometer to de signals and maybe more.

Any help/suggestions'd be appreciated

Regards

Izzy

Very Happy
If you go to the motobrick.com site and have a chat with Wmax351 he has done a lot of work on that stuff already and is a very clued up guy.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

11Back to top Go down   I would like to replace my K75 factory gauges with either vintage look analogs or complete digital panel Empty Speedo Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:00 pm

wickbimmer

wickbimmer

Izzypop

Izzypop
rossko wrote:Heads up display.

Thanks.
My k75 is a naked one... nowere to proyect the info... 

My idea is to feed the camera in the backround something like this:

I would like to replace my K75 factory gauges with either vintage look analogs or complete digital panel Dashbo11

Izzypop

Izzypop
RicK G wrote:
Izzypop wrote:Hello...
If you go to the motobrick.com site and have a chat with Wmax351 he has done a lot of work on that stuff already and is a very clued up guy.
Will do!

Thanks

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
rossko wrote:Heads up display.

Thanks.
"Fire and Forget" weaponry Smile   Traffic is murder here in Toronto; I'd just like to return the favour. Very Happy

wildwestrider

wildwestrider
robmack wrote:
zonenfeile wrote:K is vintage
Let's be specific -- K instruments are Ugly Vintage. However, the rest of the K is Beautiful Vintage. Brian wants Beautiful Vintage, through and through.
Robert, sent you a PM on your circuit boards.

All, I'm leaning towards the Dime City gauges, mostly due to price and their extensive selection. I would want a speedo and tach. However, I am also intriqued by the Trail Tech Vapor or Vector instruments. Cost is similar, $200ish with mounting brackets etc.

Brian in Austin

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum