BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
I had to replace my K75s top triple clamp due to a broken bolt where it clamps the fork leg.

I sourced a replacement one online.  It was a bit grotty when it arrived so I thought I'd give it a clean before fitting it.

The result:
This forum is having a bad effect on me. Tripleclamp_zps4ccc1acc

To achieve this I separated all the bolts, washers, clamps and soaked everything in a bucket of Chemtech Blitz aluminium cleaner (200ml:3 litres water) for about 24 hours.  Then gave them a final wash in hot soapy water with a brush to get into the tricky bits.

Before I would have just bolted it on and said bugger it.  Now the triple clamp puts the rest of the bike to shame.

I'll be using this witches brew from now on.

Al

Last edited by AL-58 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarifcation)

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

This forum is having a bad effect on me. K-dogs10

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Al, join the rest of fools on this forum. We will be checking to see if your tyre valves are clean enough soon.

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
looks good.Smile   job well done Al, you make it sound so easy.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
This forum is having a bad effect on me. 10_x_110

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
quietly smiling to myself.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
groverK wrote:looks good.Smile   job well done Al, you make it sound so easy.
That's because it was that easy!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good tip al ...thanks

will get some real soon

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
Looks like you've do a grand job. 

We don't seem to have that witches cocktail in old Blighty, and was wondering if you could give us a hint of the main ingredients so I could see if there is a similar brew to be had here.

This forum is having a bad effect on me. Evil-w10

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
the.postman wrote:Looks like you've do a grand job. 

We don't seem to have that witches cocktail in old Blighty, and was wondering if you could give us a hint of the main ingredients so I could see if there is a similar brew to be had here.

This forum is having a bad effect on me. Evil-w10
Here's a link to the material safety data sheet from the manufacturer:
[url=http://www.chemtech.net.au/Blitz MSDS.pdf]http://www.chemtech.net.au/Blitz%20MSDS.pdf[/url]

Al

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks. It's PHOSPHORIC ACID based.I'm sure I can find a similar "BREW" here

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

Life time member
Life time member
Watch that stuff Shocked...it can set off a chain reaction, pretty soon it will have spread to the gearbox casing, then the final drive will start to shine. 

This forum is having a bad effect on me. Carefu10

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
Yes. I know what you mean !!!!

I removed the clutch to find the cause of a rattle.... (I think I've sorted that.. Thrust washer was knackered)

I'm now polishing the heads of bolts, painting battery trays, polishing exhaust headers, powder coating wheels etc. etc. etc.

1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

Do you think this stuff would damage a throttle body? I got some here.

I'm pretty sure my R1100 TB repair kit is at the post office, I got a pickup card today. The TB itself is filthy.

13Back to top Go down   This forum is having a bad effect on me. Empty metal cleaner Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Gordon Smith

Gordon Smith
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Postman, tried some stuff called Bar Keepers Friend--- IT WORKS. Cleaned last winters muck off forks and casings with no real effort. Its based on Oxalic acid and Citric acid. Web site is www.
kilrock.co.uk   I got mine from my local hardware stores £2.50. Don't use it on mirror finish, but it works well on the stippled casings and used well let down on stainless brake rotors:D

xpc316e

xpc316e
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks for the Barkeeper's Friend tip - I shall give that a try.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
RobinW wrote:Do you think this stuff would damage a throttle body? I got some here.

I'm pretty sure my R1100 TB repair kit is at the post office, I got a pickup card today. The TB itself is filthy.
Whene I soaked the triple clamp, the shiny machined surfaces were still shiny machined surfaces, it did not eat into it it or degrade it in any way just removed the ingrained discolouring on the cast surfaces.  I dont think there would be a problem. 

Al

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have been using Blitz for a long time and I have found that you need to give it a really good scrub to clean the final application or it gets the white alloy bloom on it very easily.
I got put onto it by a customer that used it to clean the alloy bull bar and mudguards on his truck.

To clean a throttle body I use the carbie and injector cleaner, I don't know what is in it but it gets rid of the varnish build ups in no time flat.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
Chemtech Blitz eh Al? Where does one buy it? Smile  Might clean up all the parts off the K100 before I list them up!  (And clean up the levers and triple clamps on the viffer!)

AL-58 wrote:
RobinW wrote:Do you think this stuff would damage a throttle body? I got some here.

Whene I soaked the triple clamp, the shiny machined surfaces were still shiny machined surfaces, it did not eat into it it or degrade it in any way just removed the ingrained discolouring on the cast surfaces.  I dont think there would be a problem. 

Al
I just used it on the outside. Put it on with a toothbush. Took 3 goes and left it on for 10minutes each time but it got the filth off. 
Check the state of the bypass screw Very Happy 

This forum is having a bad effect on me. Parts

This forum is having a bad effect on me. Clean

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
Gordon Smith wrote:Its based on Oxalic acid and Citric acid.
Rhubarb leaves (Oxalic acid) with a good squeeze of lemon (citric acid). This forum is having a bad effect on me. Evil-w12

Quote from their web site... "the oldest cleaning product in the USA"

I'll have to try some of that

Ta

1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum