BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   K75 Retro-customization - Page 2 Empty Re: K75 Retro-customization Sat May 31, 2014 12:54 pm

bryandarragh

Would love a headlight like that, but probably a bit too expensive I would wager. Classic bike.

52Back to top Go down   K75 Retro-customization - Page 2 Empty Re: K75 Retro-customization Sat May 31, 2014 1:24 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
lsr wrote:Looks fantastic.

I really like that headlight with the gauge in it. Where did you find it? Are the gauges easy to see from the riding position?
Thank you.

I spent a few weeks scouring Ebay for a seller who was offering the shell without the innards.  Most sellers offer complete units, with headlight reflector, electrics and the headlight ring, for $400-$500.  I got lucky and found someone who had just a rusty, dented unit for sale, no reflector, no electrics and no headlight ring.  It had a "make an offer" button, which I did (for $100).  The ears were easier to find.  I hammered out the dent, removed all the original paint and had it painted.  I found another seller offering the Bosch chrome headlight ring and protector bar.  I went to the local auto parts store and bought a Hella H4 reflector assembly.  I found an Ebay seller offering rubber O-rings with completely sealed holes; these are great for wire vias which are very water resistant.

The gauge is really easy to read from the riding position.  The only downside to the gauge is the indicator LEDs aren't very visible during the day.  The LEDs themselves are recessed behind the gauge bezel and with the gauge mounted as I have it, the light does not shine through.  They are fine at night though.  The two indicators on the headlight nacelle are not visible unless I lean over to look, but that's not a problem since they are not used for anything critical.

lsr wrote:And are you using an actual arduino in the bike? I would be interested to hear the reliability of it in everyday riding.
The Arduino has been very reliable so far.  I located the computer in a zinc hobby box with screw down lid.  It's dust and moisture resistant, probably to IP54 standard.  I located the box under the seat in the tool tray above the ECU.  A CAT5 Ethernet cable feeds  the LCD display on the handlebar and signal wires are fed into the box from under the tank.

53Back to top Go down   K75 Retro-customization - Page 2 Empty Re: K75 Retro-customization Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:42 pm

jimmy62alan

jimmy62alan
robmack wrote:
troubleshooter wrote:Loving the shiny engine!

Is it actually chrome plated or just very well polished?

Chrome painted.  This is all new territory so we'll see how the finish endures over time.
I have plans on doing my diesel K100 in this crome paint but I've never used it before would you class it as a good all round paint and how does it handle the heat??? well done on a great job there mate
ALAN

54Back to top Go down   K75 Retro-customization - Page 2 Empty Re: K75 Retro-customization Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:10 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
This is an ambitious project with an amazing result.
The K75 is a great bike, but with all your mods, it's even more attractive.

Congratulations and thanks for posting your progresses (I was following them on your blog Smile )

55Back to top Go down   K75 Retro-customization - Page 2 Empty Re: K75 Retro-customization Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:07 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
jimmy62alan wrote:I have plans on doing my diesel K100 in this crome paint but I've never used it before would you class it as a good all round paint and how does it handle the heat??? well done on a great job there mate
ALAN
Hi Alan,

The paint is only as good as the skill of the painter. The results are highly variable and swing between perfect and poor. Poor quality will show up as blemishes, dull looking finish, and purple hazes and tones. The durability of the finish is completely dependant on the clear coat that goes over the chrome paint layer. If the painter chooses a high quality two part clear, the finish will enhance the appearance and it will be able to withstand the temperature of the cases (about 80 °C). The quality of the chrome is highly dependant on the special blue base that must be used; poor application will result in purple showing through the brilliance of the chrome.

I loved the idea of being able to chrome almost anything you could paint. After living with the results, I feel I should have chromed the engine cases and painted everything else. When I get the money, I'll get the cases redone.

Be very careful and research your chrome painter before pulling the trigger. They'll need special paint booths, special tools and lots and lots of skill.

56Back to top Go down   K75 Retro-customization - Page 2 Empty Re: K75 Retro-customization Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
robmack wrote:I loved the idea of being able to chrome almost anything you could paint.  After living with the results, I feel I should have chromed the engine cases and painted everything else.  When I get the money, I'll get the cases redone.

Be very careful and research your chrome painter before pulling the trigger.  They'll need special paint booths, special tools and lots and lots of skill.
Love your work. Just wondering about the chroming though. I nearly went down that road but instead chose to go with Polishing the cases and then clear coating them in a protective coating called diamondshine. The finish has held up remarkably well so far @ 10000ks and 18 months of wear and tear. Just musing as to what works out better. I guess only time will tell. I will be interested to see how well the chrome paint does

57Back to top Go down   K75 Retro-customization - Page 2 Empty Re: K75 Retro-customization Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:07 am

jimmy62alan

jimmy62alan
robmack wrote:
jimmy62alan wrote:I have plans on doing my diesel K100 in this crome paint but I've never used it before would you class it as a good all round paint and how does it handle the heat??? well done on a great job there mate
ALAN
Hi Alan,

The paint is only as good as the skill of the painter.  The results are highly variable and swing between perfect and poor.  Poor quality will show up as blemishes, dull looking finish, and purple hazes and tones.  The durability of the finish is completely dependant on the clear coat that goes over the chrome paint layer.  If the painter chooses a high quality two part clear, the finish will enhance the appearance and it will be able to withstand the temperature of the cases (about 80 °C).  The quality of the chrome is highly dependant on the special blue base that must be used; poor application will result in purple showing through the brilliance of the chrome.

I loved the idea of being able to chrome almost anything you could paint.  After living with the results, I feel I should have chromed the engine cases and painted everything else.  When I get the money, I'll get the cases redone.

Be very careful and research your chrome painter before pulling the trigger.  They'll need special paint booths, special tools and lots and lots of skill.
cheers for the feedback Robmack, I do know a good spray painter. This paint will need some sample test pieces done to get to grips with it I think Thanks again ALAN

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum