BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty air/fuel mixture Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:48 pm

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
hi , does anyone no if there is a way of checking/adjusting the co-level without a co-gauge, i read somewhere ,cant seem to find it, that Theres a trick with depressing the starter button with the engine idling, anyone?Idea

2Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:01 pm

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
pls do not "adjust" anything before all points from the "Wrong Air" list have been checked and the valves have been adjusted

1st lesson:
download the manual

2nd step

- let the engine run (warm)
- brake cleaner spray directly to all parts of the throttle unit

if you have any changes in running you have it (the bug)

btw: sometimes K Wiki - 13 helps

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

3Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:01 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, this is the link

http://skylands.ibmwr.org/tom/tech/co-setting.html

Also a lot of useful data in that site.

Best regards

JAP

4Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:12 pm

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
zonenfeile wrote:pls do not "adjust" anything before all points from the "Wrong Air" list have been checked and the valves have been adjusted

1st lesson:
download the manual

2nd step

- let the engine run (warm)
- brake cleaner spray directly to all parts of the throttle unit

if you have any changes in running you have it (the bug)

btw: sometimes K Wiki - 13 helps
allready did the brake cleaner thing , no issues there, but i guess i will download the manual , is it availlible here on the site?
btw. the reason i am asking is that i get a decrease in rpm. when  pressing the starter button while the engine is idling.

Last edited by k-rider on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:14 pm

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
japuentes wrote:Hi there, this is the link

http://skylands.ibmwr.org/tom/tech/co-setting.html

Also a lot of useful data in that site.

Best regards

JAP
thanks , thats the one i was looking for ,guess i will have too make some adjustment:)

6Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:55 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
That instruction states the air bleed screws are typically best set 4-5 turns out.  Can that be correct?
I'm sure I've never had carburettors or FI bodies that were set in that range.  Having said that, my K100RS does seem to smell like the mixture is too rich at idle, but performance wise, it runs very well.

7Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
they are talking about the air bleed screw in the afm brickie ....that lets air pass at idle ...before the afm opens up ....after throttles open .......some air has to be able to make it to the tbs at idle before opening the afm ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:36 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It also states that if you push the start button the idle will increase slightly.
I dont know where that came from but it cannot possibly happen because if the engine is running over 711rpm the start button is disabled and it can't possibly send a signal to anywhere.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:35 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
RicK G wrote:It also states that if you push the start button the idle will increase slightly.
I dont know where that came from but it cannot possibly happen because if the engine is running over 711rpm the start button is disabled and it can't possibly send a signal to anywhere.
When the engine is running above 711 rpm, the ground side of the starter relay
coil is disabled....to prevent the starter from turning.
The starter signal is still present, as long neutral is selected or clutch pulled.

10Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:37 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Thanks Inge I stand corrected. I was thinking of the guys who have said that you push the starter button when overtaking and they get more power and took it from there that the starter was totaly without battery over 711 but that was because the clutch was not pulled in so it could not happen.
If it is sitting in neutral it works but not moving on the highway.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

11Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:08 pm

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
Well now i have followed the instruction and it does seem to ryn better at idling speed.
I am going for a 150 km run tomorrow tjen i will see if theres any improvement.
Just for the record , how much , if any at all, does this adjustment of the co level at idle speed affect the mixturr ratio above idle speed?

12Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:05 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nearly nothing .......its just for compliance with emission standards ...as the maf mapping takes over just a few hundred revs more than idle

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:59 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, I've noticed that this regulation is important, if is not correct the bike will jerk while passing from idle to open throttle or the engine will stall if you suddenly cut the gas and engage the clutch.
Best regards
JAP

14Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:52 pm

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
well, thought i would give you an update.
after following the instructions above  it really runs smoother at idle than ever before, also the overall rev range is smoother with far less vibration than before, funny, i thought that syncronising the tb¨s an adjusting of the co-level , would only have effect at idle speed, but no:D 
its nic to be a brickowner:twisted:

15Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:10 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
K-Rider, now that you've tuned it to your satisfaction, approximately how many turns from full in and seated are the throttle bodies' air bleed screws?

16Back to top Go down   air/fuel mixture Empty Re: air/fuel mixture Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:32 pm

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
brickrider wrote:K-Rider, now that you've tuned it to your satisfaction, approximately how many turns from full in and seated are the throttle bodies' air bleed screws?
just about 5/4 turns
and it idles at approximatly 900

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum