BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Anyone Inspected this bike? on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:13 am

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/para-hills-west/motorcycles/bmw-s-k100-rt-the-flying-brick-great-reliable-bike/1025483540

Has anyone happened to inspect this bike at all?

It looks almost exactly like what I've been looking for.

2Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:34 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Looks pretty good.
87 model? I would have thought maybe a year or two later than that? Not that it really matters. Ask for the VIN. Can't read it from the photo. Hmm can read 3/87 on there.

Get the service history and of course there won't be one.
Ignore all that new stuff he says he put on it. Its all fluff to make you pay more.
talk about spline lube and 25 year old rubber and plastic ABS failures, missing heat shield, melted panniers due to missing heat shield, water pumps and non uv stabilised plastics, then talk him down at least $500 and then buy it.
Not a bad colour either.
AND you can fly down, head north ish and meet us all at Tottenham in 2 weeks.
Now that is a plan.
See you there.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

3Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:44 am

Geez you've got the eye rossko, I had to download the image and zoom in to see the missing shield.

I have rung him, from what I gleened it's had a motor/frame swap. He says everything works but the screen is iffy, as in dulled. He claims to be a bike mechanic.

$150 one way to Adelaide so it's doable.

4Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:41 am

I think he's got a UK import with low miles and put an old motor in the frame.

Last edited by RobinW on Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total

5Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:13 am

He rang me, now I got the picture. He had a british import that could not be registered due to import paperwork errors. He took everything from the british doner, stuck it all into an ozzie frame with a local VIN and bob's your uncle, it's legal.

6Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
If you are still interested RobinW let me know and i'll check it out for you.
G

7Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:34 pm

Cheers, I've messaged you.

8Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:11 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks to Robin for providing the spur to get me off my backside today.
Checked out this bike for him, 70kms through the hills mostly on known (favourite) roads
and a few new ones due to the crappy "GPS". All very enjoyable!

I've had the 'flu for 2 weeks and thought it would BLOW the B...... away, no but was great to be riding!

Anyone Inspected this bike? 2013-012
Amber Light Cafe in Lobethal make the best toasted ham,cheese and tomato.

Thanks again RobinW.

9Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:37 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP

I've had the 'flu for 2 weeks
We don't care bout that sh1t.
Get over it.
Nice photo btw.

How is the bike?
$150 and a flight to adelaide and then he can come to far kairn and meet the rest of us.
You are killin me here. hw is the bike?
Priorities man

K1100RS 0194321

10Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:43 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
poor rossko ....lol

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OAnyone Inspected this bike? Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..

11Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:24 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Robin, went and saw that bike, spent an hour with Danny looking it over.

He sure can talk but I judge him as being a pretty straight shooter. He has been in the Industry and may be 
a smooth operator but he knows a bit about K's and seems pretty confident that it's a good bike. Knowing what we do I can see where that comes from. Hope that makes sense?

The photos, as usual, make it look a bit better than reality tho' having said that it's not too bad cosmetically, 
paint is showing it's age some wear on leading edges etc. It's better than mine was when I got it but then again
mine has a few acres less tupperware!

Things you may already know, RH pannier has a bad crack front lock area about 4-5 inches long also a bit of the lid lip(overlap) missing 2 inches, crack in LH dash panel, screen very ordinary. Discs have a small lip, similar to how mine were, technically I guessing about the limit but i'm still running mine 180,000kms. Sorry did'nt check the pads. Heat shield will come with the bike, looks in good nick.

I arrived first and am satisfied that the bike had'nt been started today, He said you do it, and it fired immediately
on the button, "choke" lever different to mine which has 2 detents, this one wouldn't stay in what mine would be the second, max, position, but it started easy on the other. From there the lever progressively lowers the revs instead of all or nought on mine. So I shut the lever off and the revs dropped right off, no stall, but I gave it a bit more in sympathy for a fast idle and soon, couple of mins, had it right off again with a perfect
1000 about idle. This motor is super quiet compared to my 75, no untoward sounds at all!

I rode it about 100 metres between workshops, friction point was a lot further out than mine indicating adjustment or maybe? wear on the clutch plate? She shifted into 2nd no worries. Brakes? well I didn't go far,
no rego and I was running out of time so didn't put my plate on etc. 

Frame looks true to his story, paint, from the bits i saw. He claims that's the only part he used from the spare cop bike. TBs look too clean but when I mentioned that all he said was something about the genuine clamps??
Have just re-read the add and it mentions injectors, perhaps he misheard me but he didn't claim any work on the TBs

He claims to have had it registered in Feb but the paper he read that off was not a normal rego doc, maybe a temp rego or dealer thing?

Sum up, IMPRESSED with the quiet donk, I know and have seen how very ordinary lookers can be done up and this one is not too bad that way.

Reservations... The rego... thing same as you!

Add says ono so....$$$s? I think he wants out of it, he's prepared to change oil etc. for your trip so you have complete peace of mind, he made me a cuppa and we talked first, rent on that shed and moving down the road to another.. hunch he needs the money!

If he registers it in SA for you, maybe easier over your way? or run it on your other rego... OOPs did I just say that?

Cheers mate

Gordon

Is this what you want Ross?

For accuracy gotta add a couple of things I forgot.
    1. Tank has been welded on lower LH seam, no fuel smell or other signs of a leak but it is only just visible,
       The weld that is, due to fairing.

2. I asked about ABS, fault codes etc. ( I only know from reading this forum) I had forgotten that theABS
        has flashing light till both brakes are applied. This bike did not do that.

Last edited by Ghost who rides on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Memory rebooted!)

12Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:26 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
very informative report Ghostie, well done.
apart from the tank repair , everything else seems part and partial of a good buy.
it is in very similar condition to when I received my LT. and for much the same price.
I purchased mine unreg'd from a dealer , and blueslipped it later.
probably would be wise to run a REVS check on it, just for reassurance and peace of mind.
then the rest will be history..... and Rossko and the crew will see you at FarKan in ........... well very soon as the calendar shows Very Happy

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Anyone Inspected this bike? 10_x_110

13Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:14 am

Yep, thanks again Gordon for taking the time. He told me he'd put 3 months SA rego on it before it went and it appears to be a decent bike at about the right sort of money. 

I ran the numbers again and it would end up costing me about $4500 all up to get it back to here. There's more than one K1100LT up here for that sort of cash and I rode a 96 R1100RT this arvo for not a lot more than that.

hmmmm

14Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:42 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP

Cheers mate

Gordon

Is this what you want Ross?

For accuracy gotta add a couple of things I forgot.
    1. Tank has been welded on lower LH seam, no fuel smell or other signs of a leak but it is only just visible,
       The weld that is, due to fairing.

2. I asked about ABS, fault codes etc. ( I only know from reading this forum) I had forgotten that theABS
        has flashing light till both brakes are applied. This bike did not do that.
I was going to say it was a bit light on detail, but now you added the extra detail it is all good.

K1100RS 0194321

15Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:02 am

Well if any of you mexicans are interested in what sounds like a fair deal, go for it.

I just bought myself a 96 R1100RT affraid

Anyone Inspected this bike? R1100RT

Last edited by RobinW on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total

16Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:19 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
onya gordo ...great effort bloke !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OAnyone Inspected this bike? Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..

17Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:24 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Only teasing ya Rossko , love yer humour Btw , keep it up bloke !

18Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:12 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Congrats on the R mate, hope it's a goodn.

The K was too much factoring in your distance from it, surely plenty nearby for you guys.

Isn't it strange how we value them so highly... yet don't want to pay much for one?

I'm convinced that down the track they will be worth good bucks, just gotta wait eh?

19Back to top Go down   Anyone Inspected this bike? Empty Re: Anyone Inspected this bike? on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:24 am

I've been looking for a Kbike RT for a while Gordon and seen none. Hence this SA interest. But the numbers just don't add up.

Chuck in a couple of hundred more and I got an RT but it's an RBike and a lot newer than that one in SA. 

Already got an R1100RS here and they are truly awful to work on compared to the KBikes.

Eventually one will appear I'm sure.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum