BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Tight Oil Filter Empty Tight Oil Filter Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:50 pm

sudhirjin

sudhirjin
Today i removed my oil pan! as the oil filter was too tight (tightened by the previous owner), Bmw manual says to use Three bond 1216, But i couldn't find it any where so i used permatex ultra black gasket maker. Is it ok??? 

If ok! should i wait 24 hours for it to heal before i put new engine oil in??

2Back to top Go down   Tight Oil Filter Empty Tight Oil Filter Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:58 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I've used  it on both crankcase and valve covers recently with success, seems to cure overnight for me.
Touch wood no problems with it although you will get a few here who swear by 3 bond. I couldn't find it near me either. Good luck.

3Back to top Go down   Tight Oil Filter Empty Re: Tight Oil Filter Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:21 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
RT wrote:I've used  it on both crankcase and valve covers recently with success, seems to cure overnight for me.
Touch wood no problems with it although you will get a few here who swear by 3 bond. I couldn't find it near me either. Good luck.
I use permatex red or blue RTV there and both are good as there is no pressure to contend with.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Tight Oil Filter Empty Re: Tight Oil Filter Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:44 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
If the oil filter is so tight that the oil filter wrench slips over the flutes on it then what I've found works is putting some steel wool around the perimeter of the oil filter wrench and then hammering it onto the oil filter to keep the oil filter wrench from slipping.  No need to resort to pounding screwdrivers through the oil filter or removing the oil sump cover plate.

You should be OK with any oil-resistant gasket maker.  I've used Permatex # 2 in many places with good results as it is non-hardening and seems to be the closest thing to what BMW used that I can find in the US.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

5Back to top Go down   Tight Oil Filter Empty Re: Tight Oil Filter Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:04 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Drill three pilot holes in the oil filter tool, screw self-tappers through into the filter and then try again.

6Back to top Go down   Tight Oil Filter Empty Re: Tight Oil Filter Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:05 am

Rabidchiwawa007

Rabidchiwawa007
Platinum member
Platinum member
I had this happen when I changed my oil filter the first time.  It was ridiculously tight.  I ended up simply puncturing the bottom of the oil filter towards the outsides with a couple of chisel type metal pieces and using them to turn it loose.  The metal on the oil filter is soft though, so if you do it this way, don't go to fast and be careful.

7Back to top Go down   Tight Oil Filter Empty Re: Tight Oil Filter Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:07 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
I was so upset when I changed my oil for the first time two years ago and couldn't get the filter off. Evil or Very Mad 

In a rush, because I was committed to a road trip with friends the next day, when I finally dropped the oil pan I just stabbed the filter with a large screwdriver and took out my frustration on it (grrr). No time for niceties, just put the oil pan back on w/o gasket sealant. 

OK, fast forward to the next oil change last summer. Oil change going smoothly filter removed through normal access plate, screw the plate back on with fresh o-ring. Just three little hex screws to tighten and I'm good to go!  Start pouring in fresh oil, then--oil leak! Oil Leak! Running all over the deck coming out of the oil filter cover plate!! 

WTF? Embarassed 

Seems the o-ring popped-off slightly and pinched while screwing the access plate back into place. So, captured as much of the new oil as possible into an aluminum pie pan, cleaned up the remaining mess and prepared to start over (muttering to myself--idiot!). Didn't have another replacement o-ring, so ended-up re-using the old one.

Over the summer made a special trip to MaxBMW (~80mi.) on the coast in NH just to purchase two sets of o-rings and crush washers (I already have 2-3 oil filters). "Anything else today sir?" says the pretty counter lady. "No," sez I, "that will be all. Thank you kindly." (She's thinking, 'What an idiot.' I'm thinking; 'I'm an idiot.') Smile 

So, now I have complete back-up, and will back-fill my inventory every time I change oil.

Now the bike's in the barn for the winter AND it needs an oil change. There is crud build-up all around the oil pan, so will remove the oil pan and seal everything up properly once and for all.

End of story. Very Happy

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

8Back to top Go down   Tight Oil Filter Empty Re: Tight Oil Filter Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:57 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Funnily enough when you buy the filter in the UK from one of the usual suspects you got a new O-ring with it ;-)

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Tight Oil Filter Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum