BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Empty Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:45 pm

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
I'm in the market for lids for the front and rear brake fluid reservoirs. Want experiment with making a "pump through" fluid bleeder. Its a 1990 K100LT, ex-police, with ABS. If any of the lads going to Guyra in November have these lying around in their sheds, and surplus to requirements, will be greatly appreciated!

See you in a few weeks.

Rickmeister.

2Back to top Go down   Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Empty Re: Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:18 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Rick, 

The front lid may cause a bit of grief.  The problem with it is is a rectangular shape and not round like the rear and earlier R series master reservoirs.  Whereas most of the non-motorcycles ones are circular and give a good seal, the K front is a different shape. 

The power bleeder that I used suggested that you pressurise the reservoir to 10 psi before adding fluid and bleeding the system.  Due to the leaks through the the three bolt holes, rectangular seal and small vent (?) lip on the underside of the lid I was unable to get more than about 1 psi.  I cut rubber seals to size, used sealants on the holes, included allowing it to cure first and I leak checked it different ways and was not able to stop the leaks.  I had a spare master cyclinder to practice on so as not to spill brake fluid all over the paint work. 

I eventually gave up in frustration.Lids for brake fluid reservoirs 178468   Perhaps someone else may have some better ideas. 

Cheers, Dave.

3Back to top Go down   Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Empty Re: Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Ah you too Dave I had exactly the same problem when I tried so I made a Vacuum bleeder that eventually got the air out from that dumb crossover tube.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Empty Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:00 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Rickmeister, can't help with the lids but I used a contraption made by Victa to extract oil out of lawn mowers
by suction. It worked a treat on my rear bleeder. I don't have ABS so maybe it's all different but it kept up a nice suck er vacuum in the line. Need to attach a smaller diameter hose bit on the end of the sucker to attach to the nipple. I gotta go now, blood pressures rising.

5Back to top Go down   Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Empty Re: Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for that, lads. My understanding of a hydraulic brake system is:
When the brake lever is in its home position, there is a passage between the "load" side of the operating piston and the fluid reservoir chamber. As the lever is pulled, that passage is covered and sealed by the rubber "piston", creating a closed hydraulic system.

If this is somewhat correct, I thought that I might be able to "force" the fluid through the system, via the reservoir, interconnecting passage and eventually out through the bleed nipple at the caliper end.

So, with the lids, I was thinking of putting some sort of spiggot in the top and maybe use a vet's syringe to force the fluid through. But, I can understand Dave's grief with sealing the  rectangular lid on the front brake reservoir.

As I don't have any spare ones to muck around with, I might abandon the project.

Cheers, Rickmeister.

6Back to top Go down   Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Empty Re: Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I recall someone here or it may have been the Motobrick site where they used the syringe to force the fluid through from the caliper to the master cylinder, which makes sense as the bubbles will always go up so you wont be fighting that and it seems to be a large part of the difficulty of getting the front brakes air free.
One thing we used to do with the troublesome Hondas was after we gave up we would tie the lever to the handlebar as tight as possible and in the morning when you release it some air would escape from the master cylinder.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Empty Re: Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:46 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Rickmeister, if you go ahead with your idea, it may be simpler to just fit a tyre valve to the lid (just one hole required) and pressurize the system with a tyre pump.

Just a thought.

Paul.

8Back to top Go down   Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Empty Re: Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:17 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Ulrich,
If you want to try and pressure feed the brake fluid from the bleed nipple upwards, (as Rick suggested) here's something I made today that should do the job.

Basically, it's a jar with a tight fitting lid, two tyre valves, some fibre washers and some tubing. I made it deliberately using bits that don't need any machining, so it could be made by anyone.

One tyre valve, complete with it's Schrader valve, is fitted to the lid.
The other valve has the Schrader valve removed, and the base sawn off, so we are left with a threaded tube that is fitted to the jar lid with half the thread inside and the other half protruding through the top. A length of tube is then fitted on the thread to go inside the jar.

In use, a tube is fed from the jar to the bleed nipple and the jar is pressurised with a tyre pump.

Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Sam_0717
Lids for brake fluid reservoirs Sam_0718

Two words of caution, don't put too much pressure in the jar, a couple of strokes from a bicycle pump should be adequate, you don't want a fountain from the reservoir!
And be careful that the reservoir doesn't overflow, spreading brake fluid everywhere.

This idea just came about from your post, so I've not tested it, but the jar does hold a few PSI pressure so I think it would work.

So, there it is if you want to try it.
Cheers,
Paul.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum