BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Strange 'oil' leak Empty Strange 'oil' leak 15/11/13, 05:59 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Recently, every now and again, I had noticed what appeared to be a slight oil leak running down the crankcase cover from the bottom of the fairing.
Couldn't work out where it was coming from but as I was getting an occasional whiff of petrol, I assumed it was coming from a dodgy breather pipe.
Problem solved today when I discovered a blister in the paint along the bottom edge on the right hand side of the tank.
Strange 'oil' leak <a href=Strange 'oil' leak 20131110" />
Must have been a pinhole leak that only lost fuel when the tank was filled. Some fuel would leak out, run down to the lowest part of the edge and over the rubber seals on the fairing panel.
Then it dripped down on to the top of the crank cover.
Because it had melted the rubber a bit, it looked like an oil leak.
Had a fuel leak on my last K on the left side, where the fuel pump lives. Think its rarer on the right, but obviously not impossible.
If you get a whiff of fuel, check along the bottom edge for blisters in the paint. If you are far from home don't poke it!
It can turn into a big hole very quickly.
Easily fixed with epoxy putty.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

2Back to top Go down   Strange 'oil' leak Empty Re: Strange 'oil' leak 15/11/13, 08:57 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good find cj

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Strange 'oil' leak Empty Strange 'oil' leak 15/11/13, 10:18 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I just fixed a similar leak, although when I had emptied the tank and started to fiddle with the paint blister, I was horrified by the eventual size of the hole that appeared. All fixed now but haven't repainted the patch, and probably won't. Good reminder mate.
I may be in the market for a new tank as I don't want any more leaks.

4Back to top Go down   Strange 'oil' leak Empty Re: Strange 'oil' leak 16/11/13, 03:45 am

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
It was a bit baffling because the 'leak' didn't appear at the same time as the smell of fuel.
As our K's move in to the classic bike world, maybe we need to think of a preventative measure like a tank sealant.
Might prevent those pin holes developing into something bigger as new or sound tanks can only get harder to find.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

5Back to top Go down   Strange 'oil' leak Empty Re: Strange 'oil' leak 30/11/13, 11:16 pm

orforester

orforester
Silver member
Silver member
I had the same trouble with my 89 RS.  Hole under the fuel pump.  NAPA sells a epoxy kit specific to gas tanks.  Buy tow, do one inside and one outside the hole.  Warning it sets up really fast after you mix the two parts and it gets HOT.  Works like a charm and then I painted over it with a little matching touch-up from NAPA!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum