BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Wiring - current carrying capacity Empty Wiring - current carrying capacity Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Kioors

Kioors
Hey guys.

I was just installing Oxford heated grips on my 100RS16v. All is finished now, and after a testride everything seems to be working! Great!

But...

I didn't connect the power supply of those grips directly to the battery, as the manual told me, but to the connector for OEM heated grips. (so they don't drain the battery when left on!). While doing so, I felt like the wires going to that connector were really thin, and now I start to wonder how much current I can draw through without setting fire to the tank!

Thus, the question is: What power rating do the OEM heated grips have? (oxford claims theirs are 50W max)

Or maybe I should put it more general and useful for everybody: what's the cross section of those wires (and 90% of the rest of the wiring), and what is the maximum current allowed?

Thanks a lot!

1992 Ducati 907i.e.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
About 22W per side for OEM HGs.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   Wiring - current carrying capacity Empty Re: Wiring - current carrying capacity Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:56 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The thinist wire used on a K is 0.5mm and that will carry 5 amps without problems so at 50watts you will only draw 4.2 amps then all should be OK.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum