BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

defied

defied
Does anyone know if this cable: [url=http://www.acewell.co.uk/Acewell Accessories and Sensors/Speed Sensors - Cable drive/ace-s11.htm?action=full&id=61]http://www.acewell.co.uk/Acewell%20Accessories%20and%20Sensors/Speed%20Sensors%20-%20Cable%20Drive/ACE-S11.htm?action=full&id=61[/url]

Will fit on to an 87 K100? Are they too different?

Thanks,
D

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The K series BMW has an electronic speedo so there is no cable but Acewell do make an instrument cluster that some here have used.

actually it would be the same cluster but the speed is picked yp using the speed sensor at the rear drive so you should not need that thing at all.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
The only caveat to Rick's explanation is that the signal coming from the rear speed sensor on the K-bike has to be conditioned to work with the Acewell; The signal is not compatible straight from the sensor.  Most after-market electronic instrument manufacturers provide a solid state magnetic speed sensor with the product, and it is meant to be attached to the front forks along with tiny rare-earth magnets that fasten to the wheels.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
agree rob that little conditioning circuit would be the best option ...even if put though a counter divider circuit afterwards to get it back to one pulse per revolution ...(maybe a little schimdt trigger after burner ) oops sorry folks too much tech ))

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

defied

defied
Worry not, that's not too much tech. 0]

I ordered the Acewell and have known about this issue. I just needed to know if this cable would work. I figured it wouldn't.

So, on that note, what would be a good plug to use to cover up the hole the old cable will leave?

D

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
 Defied:  If you intend to remove the speed sensor from the final drive because it is no longer needed after the Acewell is installed (this is what I read into your question), then I would recommend that you just leave the sensor in place.  It does no harm.  Correct me if I am mistaken in your meaning.

Charlie:  The more pulses per revolution available to the speedometer, the more accurate the speed readout.  A divider circuit would detract from the accuracy.  Most after-market speedos work best with pulse rates between 3-20 pulses per revolution.  The K100 outputs 6 per revolution.

defied

defied
Rob,
I am a man who doesn't like to leave loose ends. 0]
I figure I'll need to fashion a plate of some sorts. I'll have to take a closer look when I get home (turkey weekend with the in-laws).

D

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
robmack wrote: Defied:  If you intend to remove the speed sensor from the final drive because it is no longer needed after the Acewell is installed (this is what I read into your question), then I would recommend that you just leave the sensor in place.  It does no harm.  Correct me if I am mistaken in your meaning.

Charlie:  The more pulses per revolution available to the speedometer, the more accurate the speed readout.  A divider circuit would detract from the accuracy.  Most after-market speedos work best with pulse rates between 3-20 pulses per revolution.  The K100 outputs 6 per revolution.
I think it is actually 12 pulses as there is one for each off and one for each on at the start/finish of the castleation.
Like the ABS ring has 100 castleations so 200 pulses.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum