BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

slowride

slowride
I was looking for a new windshield for my bike but wasn't having any luck. The old one was just that...old and too tall for my taste. I'm 5' 7" so this bike is a little tall anyway but holding it up on my toes isn't as bad as being forced to see everything from behind a windshield. Unable to find an aftermarket shield I eventually went down to the local Home Depot and purchased a 17 dollar piece of lexan, created a pattern out of poster board and used a fine toothed handsaw to cut it out. A little sand paper around the edges and four holes drilled and she's good to go.

The new shield is five inches shorter than the old one so I can view the road just over it while still benefiting from it's function. I took it to work the other morning and it was 32 degrees.....worked fine. I was told that lexan is hard to polish but for 17 bucks and less than two hours I'll just cut me another one next year if I need to.

The lower left engine fairing was trashed pretty bad from a gravel spill so I did a fiberglass repair to the back side of it and bondo to the other side. It turned out pretty good.

I sanded down the saddle bags and used rattle can spray on truck bed liner from Wal Mart to clean them up a bit. I laid on about three coats and thus far it's holding up pretty well. The bed liner is rubberized and has some grit in it so it's not prone to scuffing that bad and again, if it chips, it's a pretty easy fix and I have one can left over. Either way it made them look a lot better than they were.

Slowride

K100RT windshield mod and touchups....pics 1910yg

K100RT windshield mod and touchups....pics Nq8ep4

K100RT windshield mod and touchups....pics Qxsync

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Looks like a really professional job but I am curious as to the piece the windscreen is attached to.
Is that a standard fitting or something the other windscreen was fitted to.

Mine attaches using the other eight bolts thus trying to replicate just that much more difficult and do you cold form the Lexan or does it require heat to mold it to the shape.

Regards,

Phil

slowride

slowride
The old windshield was attached as I attached the new one and it actually feathered out from the ends about an 1.5 inches on either side. I'm not sure what the piece is called that acts as the middle man between fairing and windshield but it is a standard fitting as the molding over the instrument cluster as you can see it is molded to that piece.

I was really skeptical about using the lexan as I've never worked with it before but I was told that it is virtually indestructible. Once I had the holes drilled I just installed the first fastener, left it a little loose and folded the lexan over to the next fastener all the way to the end. I did this at night and it was about 37 degrees outside. I've ridden a couple hundred miles since installing it and if I take it off right now it'll probably spring back into a flat piece. lol Also, it doesn't flex in the wind and there are no cracks around the mounting bolts. You'd think it was made to be a windshield.

My first instinct said "This stuff is gonna snap if I bend it too far" so after installing I tested the left over piece to see where the snapping point is. I bent the biggest piece I had and truth is, there is no snapping point. It just bent and made a crease just like folding a piece of paper. I had to go back and forth about ten times before it finally came apart with a clean edge.

After making this shield and seeing how malleable the lexan is, I wouldn't hesitate to use it to make a replacement to fit the other eight bolt setup.

Slowride

scottiesharpe

scottiesharpe
Silver member
Silver member
Love that big tank! What's the story on that item?

slowride

slowride
It's a custom tank built by the late Ray Randolph who was fairly well known in the BMW MOA.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Excellent job on the windshield slowride!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Looks like a bought one, so that shows it is an excellent job.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum