BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:02 am

It may be a bit early to kick this off but I thought I'd get a spot started to drop pics of this one. I bought a '94 K1100LT for more than I wanted to spend, as usual, but mechanically it's in pretty good shape apart from the 7 year old rear rubber. Under 100K Kms on the clock, ex police bike with a pair of krauser paniers and I got the price down by taking it unregistered. It has a shocking paint job, probably only one or two thin coats of some sort of pinkish brown over the top of bugger all primer layered directly on top of the police white.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT K1100-1  

It's full of runs and thousands of scratches/stone chips and you can scratch it off with your fingernail. The tail and seat are off a very early K and don't fit right, plus the right mirror is knackered. And who knows what else will surface as we progress. It looks like the bike has been stripped and had the frame repainted though, I see no rust or wear marks there at all so far and all the disks have heaps of meat so they have probably also been replaced. Documents show that a lot of the common failure sites have already been fixed so I think it should be a reliable machine. 

I have an R1100RT in the garage awaiting parts so I can't get into the clutch etc just yet so I'm going to start prepping for the repaint straight up and as I know this will take a long long time to do. The plan is to 2 pack this one in, you guessed it, RED. Piermont Red appeared as a BMW colour in about 2003 on the K1200's. Here's an R1150RT in that colour. Also, Harts paint shop have this colour in their database.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT PeimontRed

No fancy paint tricks although this is a pearl based paint which gives it the shade changes as you move around it, but the pearls are in the paint not the clear coat making touch ups a lot easier. I have bought the 2 pack primer/filler but will have to remove the rattle can paint and get it back to police white enamel for the primer to bight properly. Bugger ... that'll be a lot of work.

I've bought a new tail and seat and mirror off Ghosty and the couriers tell me they are arriving tomorrow, so once they arrive, I'll bolt them in and get a pic.

I have acquired almost all the hardware for a 2 pack paint job, Guns, Larger Compressor, sand paper, tack cloths, disposable overalls however the respirators I bought won't cut the mustard. From what I've since read, I want a 3M 6000 series mask with matching organic filters to meet AS1716 standards. A lot of cheap masks claim to meet this standard but they all show a warning on the pack, 'Not suitable for 2 Pack Paint'. Bunnings sell the 3M for 60 shekels which is 6 times what I paid for the other ones, but money well spent I think. No need to accelerate end of days, Jim Bean is doing that job quite nicely on it's own Smile

The plan is to strip and prime panels individually and store them in the shed till it's all primed, then base/clear coat them all in one go. I'll need to build a makeshift spray booth for that as this stuff takes forever to go off and you want to avoid dust and bugs playing football in the wet paint.

I'll hopefully have a pic tomorrow with the new tail and seat on the bike and with a bit of luck they'll fit better than these ones .....

Hmmmm ..... Red .... I did look at Daytona Gold as per the old R90S bikes as that looks great, but it's really a 2 tone paint job and even professionals shy away from it.

2Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:04 am

richarde1605

richarde1605
RobinW wrote:It may be a bit early to kick this off but I thought I'd get a spot started to drop pics of this one. I bought a '94 K1100LT for more than I wanted to spend, as usual, but mechanically it's in pretty good shape apart from the 7 year old rear rubber. Under 100K Kms on the clock, ex police bike with a pair of krauser paniers and I got the price down by taking it unregistered. It has a shocking paint job, probably only one or two thin coats of some sort of pinkish brown over the top of bugger all primer layered directly on top of the police white.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT K1100-1  

Not so nice colour Sad

It's full of runs and thousands of scratches/stone chips and you can scratch it off with your fingernail. The tail and seat are off a very early K and don't fit right, plus the right mirror is knackered. And who knows what else will surface as we progress. It looks like the bike has been stripped and had the frame repainted though, I see no rust or wear marks there at all so far and all the disks have heaps of meat so they have probably also been replaced. Documents show that a lot of the common failure sites have already been fixed so I think it should be a reliable machine. 

I have an R1100RT in the garage awaiting parts so I can't get into the clutch etc just yet so I'm going to start prepping for the repaint straight up and as I know this will take a long long time to do. The plan is to 2 pack this one in, you guessed it, RED. Piermont Red appeared as a BMW colour in about 2003 on the K1200's. Here's an R1150RT in that colour. Also, Harts paint shop have this colour in their database.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT PeimontRed

Nice colour Smile

No fancy paint tricks although this is a pearl based paint which gives it the shade changes as you move around it, but the pearls are in the paint not the clear coat making touch ups a lot easier. I have bought the 2 pack primer/filler but will have to remove the rattle can paint and get it back to police white enamel for the primer to bight properly. Bugger ... that'll be a lot of work.

I've bought a new tail and seat and mirror off Ghosty and the couriers tell me they are arriving tomorrow, so once they arrive, I'll bolt them in and get a pic.

I have acquired almost all the hardware for a 2 pack paint job, Guns, Larger Compressor, sand paper, tack cloths, disposable overalls however the respirators I bought won't cut the mustard. From what I've since read, I want a 3M 6000 series mask with matching organic filters to meet AS1716 standards. A lot of cheap masks claim to meet this standard but they all show a warning on the pack, 'Not suitable for 2 Pack Paint'. Bunnings sell the 3M for 60 shekels which is 6 times what I paid for the other ones, but money well spent I think. No need to accelerate end of days, Jim Bean is doing that job quite nicely on it's own Smile

The plan is to strip and prime panels individually and store them in the shed till it's all primed, then base/clear coat them all in one go. I'll need to build a makeshift spray booth for that as this stuff takes forever to go off and you want to avoid dust and bugs playing football in the wet paint.

I'll hopefully have a pic tomorrow with the new tail and seat on the bike and with a bit of luck they'll fit better than these ones .....

Hmmmm ..... Red .... I did look at Daytona Gold as per the old R90S bikes as that looks great, but it's really a 2 tone paint job and even professionals shy away from it.

3Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:14 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It's full of runs and thousands of scratches/stone chips and you can scratch it off with your fingernail.

Yup sounds like any paint job from one of the thousands of panel shops around.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:48 am

All the bits from ghosty arrived today so I did a quick fitting and it's all good. I now see that the old tail is a reproduction. It's 1/3 the weight or less and as thin as paper compared to a real one. Anyway, started stripping paint. Spent over 2 hours rubbing bits with sandpaper and got these stripped.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Paint1

Hmmm, it's as much fun as watching grass grow, and a dirty dusty job. I then remembered I stripped the metal outdoor furniture for a respray with the water blaster fitted with the power head.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Paint2

I found a litre of paint stripper left over from the outdoor furniture and started on the tail section. Slap on some stripper, wait a while then blast off the paint. Not only is it more fun, you have one hand free for re hydration therapies Smile  Also it's a way cooler way to do it in the 30C + temps we are getting just now.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Paint3

Only took an hour to get this far, back at it tomorrow.

Yes, someone has bogged up the back where the badge goes. Can't fix that Sad

Last edited by RobinW on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:24 am; edited 2 times in total

5Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:52 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
if its made of real fiberglass , instead of that mix of stuff that the old bmw real things are ...it could well be stronger even so ....

good luck with the rest of the striping

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:40 am

I didn't realise this bike had plastic mud guards, luckily I had some plastic filler/primer to get them covered before the 2 pack primer goes on. All these parts are rubbed down ready for 2 pack filler/primer.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Paint4

I also did an initial rub down of the panniers. I don't see any way to split these apart for paint so I'll have to mask them up before paint.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Paint5

I'm not a fan of colour matched panniers so I'm going to have a play with these. I've ordered some Wine Red Pearl pigment. I'll paint them black then lay the Wine Red Pearl over the top in a clear coat followed by a normal clear coat. They should show up deep red in sunlight. Fingers Crossed I don't end up sanding it all off Smile

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT WineRed

Got all the glass out of the mirrors and starting to work on them but I'm waiting for a 20M air hose to arrive before the 2 pack primer can go on anything. 

I received some TB parts and tappet cover gaskets for the RBike from Motorworks but still no sign of the TB refurb kits from Cata Dan in Romania nor the Rear Brake parts from Motorworks to get this RBike out of the garage and back on the road. It's taking way longer than I expected. This is the second attempt at getting TB kits from Cata Dan. The last kits were sent mid September and simply vanished. I suppose the only option is to wait ...

7Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:37 am

I'm starting to wonder what I've got myself into here. Picked up a little 086 BMW Black and Clear coat for the panniers and all the stuff needed is starting to build into a pile of stuff. Disposable overalls, nitrile gloves, respirators, measuring cups and spoons, mixing sticks, cone filters, spray guns, gun stands, pressure regulators, water traps, sand paper, tack paper, bigger compressor and hoses.

What ever happened to paint and turps and a clear coat just to be fancy. I got 6 cans of chemicals so far and haven't bought the primary colour yet  Shocked The amount of primer I use will give a guide as to how much colour to buy. The colour needs to be mixed in one batch.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Paint6

But at last I have all the Throttle Body parts for the RBike that I've been waiting for since mid September. About time. I also have all new rubber for all the o'rings and manifolds from Motorworks so I can get that RBike out of the Garage once it's installed. Just the rear master cylinder to arrive for that one so no big deal there.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT TB-Parts

I hope to prime all the parts I have off the Kbike so far, this week-end, weather dependent, and maybe have a shot at the black paint and red pearl on the panniers. If it's too hot, humid, windy or wet I'll get the Throttle Bodies done instead.

And as per normal, just when you want some time at home, you get yanked out to go to work  Rolling Eyes

8Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:23 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Thats why the professionals want $2500 to do a top class job. It would be easy to put 50 hours into preparation on a job like that.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

9Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:34 am

It'll take me a little more than 50 hours Smile  Already been stripping these bits for about 20 hours, haven't finished them either and haven't touched any of the fairing parts yet. However the cak coloured paint is coming off a lot easier than the paint on the bits I got from ghosty. That stuff was thick and stuck on hard. I'm still rubbing away at the mirror he sent me, pig of a thing.

Also, I found when I did the blue bike, you want to get the primer/filler as flat/smooth as possible, or you'll just end up doing that bit again. It's also very hard to see imperfections without the colour coat but I've read if you lightly mist over it with a sanding guide coat in some cheap flat black it's easier to pick them up while rubbing the black back. I'll have to try that one. I'd never make a living out of this, that's for sure Smile

10Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:47 am

Finally got some time on my side and started the primer. 2 Pack primer has excellent fill properties and is easy to sand back. You can smell if it's still flashing off, it has a very sweet smell to it without the respirator, time to walk away if you smell that and leave it longer. I have work Saturday (tomorrow) morning and used that as an excuse to side step a family lunch with the relatives, they'll all be here next week anyway. I'd rather buy a shitload of alcohol once Smile

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Paint7  

I'll need to do the mirrors in 2 stages, done the backs, need to turn them over and prime the fronts later. I couldn't find a way to do them all at once. I had to mix some primer without thinner for the panniers and tail piece as they didn't come up flat enough, the panniers had some deep scratches but not anymore Smile No thinners makes it thick so it acts like a filler but it doesn't come out of my 1.4mm gun very well like that so it will need more rubbing unless I can get to it early. You really need a 2mm gun for crap like that I think. The other bits looked ok after an intitial rub down but I still need to rub them back to 800 grit. It's all at 400 grit wet so far. I'm keen to try the black and red pearl on the panniers and I see a trim panel at the top of the main fairing that could do with this colour as well, this one is sort of black metallic paint covered in stone chips. But in other words, it's all good, I'm not dead yet Smile

Also, the board everything is sitting on was completely back when I started, I sprayed the outdoor furniture on it a few months back. So spray paint goes everywhere. Go figure  Razz

11Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:13 am

Panniers straight off the gun, touch dry, not polished. Not as dark as I was after, probably too many coats of pearl. Yes I'll need to build a temporary booth for the rest, the clear coat attracts dust spots like a vacuum cleaner.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Panniers1

They look like this in the sun.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Panniers2

12Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:54 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Ya know, at the cost of a new paint job these days it seems fairly worth it to buy a paint gun (e.g. a used one off fleabay) and do it yourself. So, thanks for the step-by-step detail.

One thing. The pannier lids are removable at the hinges, aren't they?  Question

P.S. The Datona Gold on R90S was subject to UV fading, while the Smoke Silver was far better looking IMO.

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

13Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:06 pm

The 1.4mm gun I'm using was a cheapy, about $40 for the gun and regulator new. The paint seems to flow just fine. I also have a small 1mm gun that is too small for this job, doesn't hold enough paint, and a huge suction feed gun which is way too big so I had to buy one. Paint will be about $300 for everything.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310426616443?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271335116613?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Dust looks to be the real enemy with 2 pack. I see quite a few spots on these panniers now. I figured I'd look for a 3x3 popup gazebo on gumtree after xmas and use builders plastic to seal it into a spray booth in the back yard.

Also the instruction sheet for this red pearl is wrong. It says a teaspoon of pearl per 100ml of thinner but on line I see 1 teaspoon per litre. You then add a little of that thinner to the paint mix. So I've used 10 times too much here  Laughing  Other than that it won't need a cut/polish at all and I only see one run and that's around a dust lump.  

I now have the missing brake parts for the RBike so I can get it out of the garage and put the KBike in.

Those are krauser panniers, they sort of have a flat door that opens instead of splitting in 2 like normal panniers. The paint's a lot harder this morning, I'll try and get all the masking tape off and grab a pic.

14Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:32 pm

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Robin, whenever I spray at home I'll buy a roll of non static plastic from the auto paint supplier and staple to the roof and walls of the garage, using small pieces of cardboard to staple through to hold the plastic in place . Then hose out the concrete floor to keep the dust down, works well on small jobs. If I'm spraying a car I'll place a exhaust fan in the window of the garage to help remove the overspray faster. You don't want to be in a small Gazebo spraying 2K paint with only a mask. I don't no if I like the colour you chose, but keep up the good work.

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

15Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Yes you have to exhaust the spray booth, literally huge clouds of gas come off as you spray. Walking out of the garage yesterday after a coat was like walking through a fog and I don't think it's overspray, I got nothing on my glasses at all. My garage is a brick box with no windows, just a 6 meter front door and single rear door, it doesn't make a good spray booth at all. 

This isn't the colour smithy, I like the red in the first post for the bike panels. I don't have any of it yet, I'm trying to work out how much to buy. I'll probably spray over these panniers in the end, I want them a lot darker than that. There's so much pearl in it that none of the black base coat came through and they have taken on the colour of the pearl instead. But at least I now know how it all works, or how it should work Smile, and how it comes out.

Here are those panniers with the masking tape off, I couldn't see anyway to split them for paint, but they have come up very glossy. I think a motorised polish will take out most of the imperfections.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Panniers3

And here's a dust spot gone horribly wrong.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Panniers4

16Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:10 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
As Smithy says, water is the best dust suppressor. A cheap garden spray is useful.

17Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:53 am

I'll still need some sort of booth, the garage is no good. I did have a gazebo here, buggered if I can find it now and it wouldn't be small either. It was here when I was building the astro dome in the rain.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Image022  

Something like that just needs plastic walls, an exhaust fan with a couple of filtered air inlet vents and loads of duck tape Smile  There's a few examples on utube but we don't have a walmart here.

Anyway, all go on the RBike today, I need one bike that goes Smile I now have back brakes and both throttle bodies have new bushes, shafts and rubber bits. The old inlet manifolds where severely stretched and out of shape and one BBS o'ring was broken. Something if not everything had to be leaking there. It still needs a quick paint job on the tappet covers, the po cleaned them with thinners, and new tyres. I have a front but need to find someone with a rear or I'll have to wait till after xmas I guess. I should have been onto this ages ago  Embarassed

18Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:18 am

Man, it's been way too hot to do anything with motorbikes, nearly 40C here again today, but I've been getting out there early morning and late afternoon getting the tupperware off. Working just long enough till sweat fogs my glasses  and you can't see Smile

It's all off now so we can start stripping and sanding the main fairing.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Nofairing

These two buttons on the left of the dashboard have had the wires cut away. I suspect they are for police lights, does that sound right?
Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Switch2

And does anyone know what this one next to the screen switch is for? The bezel is missing.
Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Switch1

I also see a dual relay setup hanging off some loom wires at the front of the bike but it's too hot to go tracing them just now. I'm guessing these have been added by someone, they don't look original nor do they look like headlight relays.

Back to the pool, I'm melting ......

Last edited by RobinW on Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total

19Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:26 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The relays for the up and down of the screen are up behind the fairing, they're a bit smaller than the usual ones factory uses.

20Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:34 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
And they have gray housings.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

21Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:03 am

Cheers, didn't even think of the screen. They look black and aren't mounted very well. The electrical tape makes them look non standard. Maybe they've been repaired?

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Relays

Any clue what button is next to the screen button? It is a pair of wires from the switch going to a socket with 3 wires which seems odd.

Also I found these floating around in the fuel tank when I emptied it. Any idea?

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Unknown

After 6pm and still over 30C Sad

22Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:47 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Probably something to do with being a police bike. I have a switch there and it does nothing except click when you push it

23Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:57 am

bushyintas

bushyintas
Silver member
Silver member
rubber buffers from either side of your fuel pump metal bracket, to stop chaffing on the inside of the tank skin, covers sharp vertical edge 

Bushy

k100 RT 1988 #0095723
K100 RT 1984 into Custom Single seat.  #0024503

24Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:00 am

bushyintas wrote:rubber buffers from either side of your fuel pump metal bracket, to stop chaffing on the inside of the tank skin, covers sharp vertical edge 

Bushy
Cheers, I'll see which edges they fit.

25Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:05 am

bushyintas

bushyintas
Silver member
Silver member
Here we go again - '94 K1100LT 00210
Left side rear, can you see it,.... same on right side of bracket, don't know which one is the longer though.

Bushy

k100 RT 1988 #0095723
K100 RT 1984 into Custom Single seat.  #0024503

26Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:16 am

RicK G wrote:Probably something to do with being a police bike. I have a switch there and it does nothing except click when you push it
Same here, the Haynes manual for the RBike has wiring diagrams for all models and the diagram colours match the wire colours on the bike. Doesn't that make it easy Smile

27Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:50 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep got that right bushy

additionally, likely in case of a drop event so that the bracket doesn't perforate the skin as well

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

28Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:24 am

No sign of them in the maxbmw fiche at all. 
Makes ya realise the fiche does not hold all the answers

29Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:46 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
RobinW wrote:

And does anyone know what this one next to the screen switch is for? The bezel is missing.
Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Switch1

It's where the hazard warning switch normally is mounted from factory.

30Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:59 am

Beauty Inge, I'll try and get it working again.  
The local BM shop has one of these for wrecking so I might even score the bezel from them.

31Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:05 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
My hazzars lights dont work either and the whatever the picture in the bezel is gone so maybe it will have them after all.  I did think it kinda strange but when the goose that did the road worthy asked I just said nah this model it was an option and he knows nothing about BMW and precious little about any other bikes but does a good job on mowers

32Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:11 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
The bike looks pretty clean and tidy under the plastics Robin. I'm looking forward to watching the progress.

33Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:25 am

Hey Mike, yep paid the cash for a good one instead of junk, but it really needs new paint, trust me.
There is a rattle decelerating which may be chains, it was a cop bike so was prolly hammered.
Only just got it in the garage the other day, so we will see Smile
All geared up for paint right now Smile

34Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:13 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
often the contacts just corrode up rob

easy to get apart and clean them up

mine are due for another clean I guess ....after lots of riding in the rain last year ...about this time

but finding the window would be good

35Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:34 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Looking forward to seeing the finished result of your labours as I know this is one job awaiting me and I won't be happy with the LT until I've done it.

Last edited by 88KE on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ssssssstickkkking kkkkeys)

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

36Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
make that 2 waiting to see your finished product
I actually like the colour of the panniers as they are totally
different to anything else getting around

cheers Tony

37Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:06 am

Work, left over xmas booze and pure laziness has slowed things down to a near standstill. But I got back to the paint shop for more stuff so we are moving again. I have found that the tank and main fairing are already painted in 2 pack which is great news, I just need to scuff them up so new paint will key in, I won't need to strip them back to gel coat like the other bits, just feather out any nics. The lower fairing parts will need a filler/primer job before colour as there are millions of stone chips which have to be filled. I wonder why the other bits where done in enamel?

To scuff up existing 2 pack you just need a grey scotchbrite pad and a bottle of scuff-it compound, it doesn't take a lot of effort, but seeing I have a bucket load of sand paper, I've just rubbed it all down with 400 grade. I have the lower fairing done and did the panniers this evening. This removed all the imperfections in the panniers from the previous paint attempt and it's obvious if you've missed sanding a bit. Still need to mask and clean these, but that clear coat is tuff stuff, if you spray water on these the gloss reappears, for a while.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Panniers5

I bought a little BMW Sapphire Black Metallic for the panniers and will have another go overlaying that with the wine red pearl in a clear coat, but not so heavy on the pearl this time. I want them black with the wire red pearl showing in the sun. I'm told 2 pearl coats max and the second coat should be shot from a distance. Good practice before the main event anyway Smile

I still have some BMW Classic Black left and have been told that is going on the top of an aging black coffee table we have here. Why not Smile

38Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:06 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Robin, my K1100 is a 95 ex cop. My dash switches are in photo below - the heated grip one I added; the row above the instruments are all blanks except the one with the blue insert which connects to nothing, assume it was the cop blue light.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Img_0819

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Img_0818

39Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:43 am

Cheers Gaz, I rode clear across town to the BM shop yesterday to get a set of filters and try to get that hazard bezel or the whole switch off the K1100 he's wrecking and the mongrel was shut. Nothing like a long xmas. Next time I'll ring first. Still, there's no room in the garage just now for mechanical stuff anyway, it's all paint paint paint.

Got the 3 lower fairing bits and the screen motor mount primed and sanded. Almost buggered it up, sprayed on the mist coat and realised I hadn't wiped them with grease/wax remover so sanded off the mist coat and started again. That wasted time made the paint go off too soon which clogged the gun, yada yada yada. Moral is, don't rush things.

There are still some divets in the radiator section so it will want more filler when I do the main fairing/tank or maybe a little bog will do it instead. Hope to put new colour on the panniers and screen motor mount tomorrow, work dependent.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Primer

40Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Good work Robin you are getting there with your experiments in paint, you can be our "GO TO" man!
For advice that is. Hope it turns out as sweet as the old RS, by the way did you paint that bike?
Sorry if I should have read that somewhere.
Cheers, Ghosty

41Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:53 pm

Ghost who rides wrote: you can be our "GO TO" man! For advice that is.

That'd be at your own risk Gordon Smile  I painted the blue bike with rattle cans but not the red one. This is my first go with 2pack paint.

Still lots of divets in those lower panels, time is a problem just now. After initial sanding, the divets from the stone chips are really tiny and completely vanish when the panel is wet. One good tip for stone chips is to use a guide coat over the filler/primer.  If you put a light mist of cheap flat black over suspect areas, sand off the black mist and what's left is black paint inside the divets so you see black dots in the primer. Sand them out and it's flat. Prep takes forever.

[edit] Added pics.

Here's what I'm talking about. It makes seeing the imperfections a lot easier.

Mist on :
Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Mist_on

Mist Off
Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Mist_off

More obvious mist off.
Here we go again - '94 K1100LT More_mist_off

Now just sand the dots away and it's flat. If you put colour over those divets the way they are, they will stand out like little beacons.

All set to put a final primer coat on these fairing bits and the new colour on the panniers tomorrow. It works out to be just over 4 hours effort, but 80% of that is waiting for the paint to flash off and once you start it, you don't want to stop so I bought a case of crown lagers, purely for hydration purposes  :king:

42Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:52 am

What a disaster of a day. Got the fairing bits finished and in the shed but the colour went horribly wrong. Got lot's of orange peel on everything, a very rough finish. I found the compressor water trap was full of water, the compressor tank was also full of water. I emptied all the water and added a second water trap and then the compressor went bang and blew a joint out of the feed back to the pressure switch. I need a tool to expand the end of an Aluminium pipe to fix it. Tomorrow.

But the pearl itself looked ok. Black inside and lots of sparkles outside.

It's a metallic black and looks like this inside.
Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Pearl_inside

It looks like this outside although the eye captures more than the camera.
Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Pearl_outside

Pearl + metallic + orange peel.
Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Pearl

But I've just run across Chameleon paint. It's a pearl powder you add to a clear base coat and spray it over a black base coat and then top with clear coat. Check this one out.

43Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:12 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Robin,

Please don't. Not Chameleon paint. 

I don't know whether or not Nissan imported the Micra to Oz but here they offered it with that paint and it's bloody awful.

44Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:53 am

hahahaha.  I can tell from my pearl pics that it's impossible to see what it really looks like from a photo. I'm still pretty set on BMW Piermont Red as in the first post, but I think I might go get some, and test spray it. This BMW Sapphire Black Metallic I have is not very metallic and more grey than black, nothing like the pics I saw of it, it's not what I expected at all. Maybe a non orange peeled top coat would bring it up ?  It's not cheap either, $85/litre + thinner + hardener if required so over $100/litre. You don't want to fuck mess it up Smile If the pearl in the piedmont red is like the metallic in the sapphire, I'll review my colour choice.

I really need to keep the bulk of the base coat simple so it doesn't blow up in my face. I'm putting primed/sanded/finished panels in the shed, just got the main fairing and tank to go. It's a real effort to set everything up to be sprayed and takes a fair whack of time to do it. Lots of stuff has to be moved to paint. I already got primer mist on the windscreens of both cars here and they where out on the street at the time  Shocked  

I'm certainly no expert, but at least I can experiment with these trim panels. Layering paint is very new to me Smile

45Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:27 am

Got some colour. Here's a sample.

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Colour1

Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Colour2

46Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:51 am

I've been having issues getting the clear coat to flow correctly. I've sorted the compressor and water issues out and now it's a dirty gun issue. It seems the only way to clean it is to submerge it in 2pk thinners. A liter of that stuff costs almost as much as another gun and it needs almost a liter to submerge it!! 

Does anyone know what else I can use to clean out epoxy paint from a spray gun?

47Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:11 am

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
I just use GP reducer as clean up, just make sure the breather hole in the pot isn't getting blocked whilst  spraying.

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

48Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:22 am

What is GP reducer? Never mind, found it, about the same price.

A load of primer came out of the gun. It was mostly in the cavity below the pot and behind the head. A little hard to get to but I obviously haven't been cleaning it well enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG2nsV-4UkE

Last edited by RobinW on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total

49Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:31 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I found that when spraying that 2 pack stuff ypu need to spend more time cleaning the gun than  you do spraying.
I worked for a Volvo truck dealer and all the cgassis were painted in 2 pack, we used to do 2 a week and I swear I will never have anything to do with that poisoness crap ever again. we used to go thru 200lts of thinners a month. We had a special pot that held the thinners that had settled and was put in the pot which is where we kept the guns permanently submerged in 5-6 lts of thinners  unless we were using them.
I scored a few good guns from there because the boss used to come in on weekends and use them then not clean them at all or a bit and he always signed the  order for a new one when we explained how you need to clean them. Here we go again - '94 K1100LT 652573

50Back to top Go down   Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Empty Re: Here we go again - '94 K1100LT Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:41 am

I think this problem was from last week when the primer started to go off in the pot, I didn't get it all out by the looks. It's clean now and I ordered another $30 gun in case it happens again. I can't afford to toss out any colour due to a clogged gun, don't want to run out of it now it's mixed.

It's also looking way brighter than I was expecting. It looks the goods in the pot though. Not sure if it needs more coats or if I should be spraying it over a black base coat instead of white primer. It sure has a lot of thinners in it, 80%, which I guess would make it pretty thin. I'll ring em tomorrow and ask.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum