BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Rebuilding/cleaning K100 throttle bodies on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:07 am

Fentible

Silver member
Silver member
My current TB's are cosmetically poor and my options are , replace with better, pull apart and clean existing, hide them behind a cover.

Given I rebuilt (pulled apart and cleaned)my Speed triple TB's.

Ta Da!!

I want to do the same with my K100 ones but am concerned about all the dire warnings relating to the imminent end of the universe if the synch screws that alter the relative angles of the butterflies (rather than the air bypass screws) are even glanced at.

I appreciate that the TB's would have originally been set up on a flow bench but that was whenthey were shiny and new, 30 years must have taken its toll and can it really be any more difficult than balancing a set of carbs from an in line 4(insert Japanese 4 cylinder model)engine??

I've read the various posts on synching K100 TB'sand the theory looks tobe the same as the aforementioned 4 carb method.

So has anyone pulled their TB's apart, cleaned and successfully reinstalled them???

Cheers

Fent

RicK G

VIP
VIP
I did the TBs on my K1100 by pulling them apart and didnt even have to touch the adjustments and when I put them back together they were fine. I checked the opening sync with 4 dial gauges and after a lot of stuffing around I found that they were all good.
That was the spare set but the originals were all over the place and I got them very close by the method with the dial gauges and also used a small new drill bit to get the openings the same. I abandoned them because of some wear on the shafts and didnt finish the job.

There was a write up that someone did for the forum on how he did it and when I read it it was common sense stuff and methodical work and there is no reason that anybody couldn't do it.

I cleaned mine and rebalanced using a 4 port carbtune. It ran like a top after that.

I did exactly the same as Robin with the same results.
Don't be afraid of the balance screws if you have a carbtune.

Fentible

Silver member
Silver member
To be honest I thought I was missing somethingbecause although there are only three to contend withI had absolutelyno trouble synching the Speed triple TB'swhen I put them back on. And as Rick G mentions, had I not re-plated the adjusterarms I could have left the original settings untouched.

I have been giving morethought tothe switch to K1100 TB's somay try and find a decent set.

Thanks

Fent

ReneZ

Life time member
Life time member
I have done them before. Not difficult if you are methodical. Just make sure that you build up whilst continuously checking the free running of the operating parts. It is not difficult and much has been written about setting the TB plates. It won't be any more difficult than your previous job.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029)
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum