BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Custom Radiator Grille on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:55 pm

Bigsax

Gold member
Gold member
I recently removed my lower fairings and have been a little worried about the unprotected radiator, so I made a shield for it.

I got some stainless mesh and cut it 260mm x 350mm.

I then put some pinch trim around the edges and just for extra buffering I put some rubber grommet buttons on it. Actually not needed as it turned out.

I fixed it to the radiator with some cable ties.

I tried to keep the cable ties out of sight by tying at the bottom not the sides.

I am pretty happy with the results

I have enough material left for one more about $20. PM me if you are interested.

I stole this image, let me know if you want it back.

2Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:30 am

duck

Life time member
Life time member
Being an SSS (slut for stainless steel) myself, I freely give this the ofishul duck seal of approval. Very nice!

Some other options in the SS arena are:

Perforated SS:

"Expanded metal" SS:

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:20 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
looking good there big ...similar is on my list

perhaps even a black forum logo painted on ???

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

4Back to top Go down    Custom Radiator Grille on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:46 am

RT

Life time member
Life time member
That;s pretty nifty bigsax, well done.

5Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:02 am

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Yeas ago when I repainted the K75, I replaced both grills with something similar to the original grills. It took me a long time to find a grill close to the original one.Twisted Evil.

6Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:00 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
I recently removed the lower fairings on my RT and they're not going back on because they've had it. The top is not much better. The exposed radiator always worried me and after a recent trip (around 2400klm) I noticed a small dent in the fins from a stone. So I had to get a grill back on there asap.

I removed the grill from the original radiator cowling and cut it down to 335mm(W) x 240mm(H) keeping the original orientation.

Original grill

Cut down to 335mm x 240mm

Cut a recess of 5mm at the bottom of each side as shown. This allows the grill to hang down over the bottom edge for fixing. The top doesn't need this because its already scolloped.

Slide the grill into one side then flex to fit the other side. I secured this with a couple of self-threading tech screw. Just a temporary fix as I'll be doing a few mods and a bit of sprucing up next year. I'll eventually sandblast and paint the grill when I do the tank next year, fix some trim to the bottom edge and replace the screws with a couple of bolts.

The recess at the bottom when fitted.

I thought this would be just a temporary solution but I'm liking the way it looks. Some s/s mesh would look pretty good too.

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

7Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:21 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Well done Kaptain. It looks good.

Now Murphy's Law will rear its ugly head when a stone goes through the hole in the mesh. No where else, just the hole!

Last edited by blaKey on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : editing? We don't need no steenking editing!)

Remember Rule No. 6

8Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:30 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
Kaptain Holister wrote:I recently removed the lower fairings on my RT and they're not going back on because they've had it. The top is not much better. The exposed radiator always worried me and after a recent trip (around 2400klm) I noticed a small dent in the fins from a stone. So I had to get a grill back on there asap.

I removed the grill from the original radiator cowling and cut it down to 335mm(W) x 240mm(H) keeping the original orientation.

Original grill

Cut down to 335mm x 240mm

Cut a recess of 5mm at the bottom of each side as shown. This allows the grill to hang down over the bottom edge for fixing. The top doesn't need this because its already scolloped.

Slide the grill into one side then flex to fit the other side. I secured this with a couple of self-threading tech screw. Just a temporary fix as I'll be doing a few mods and a bit of sprucing up next year. I'll eventually sandblast and paint the grill when I do the tank next year, fix some trim to the bottom edge and replace the screws with a couple of bolts.

The recess at the bottom when fitted.

I thought this would be just a temporary solution but I'm liking the way it looks. Some s/s mesh would look pretty good too.

yes s/.s mesh sounds great

or you could extend the mudguard on the front down a little with a rubber flap and stop those nasty stones ever getting into the grill at all ...but there is always the unexpected bird strike or similar ...good luck !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

9Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
LFB has a woven stainless steel mesh on it, but I'd actually advise against using the woven stuff because it needs securing in additional places to stop the weave from moving and the corners will try an early departure from this mortal coil. Go for punched stainless steel instead - it's a bit more expensive but far easier to mount.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

10Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:04 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
@blaKey wrote:Well done Kaptain. It looks good.

Now Murphy's Law will rear its ugly head when a stone goes through the hole in the mesh. No where else, just the hole!
Yep. Murphy knows me well Laughing When I secure a bit of trim to the bottom edge I thought I'd put a centre piece up the middle to provide a little support and cover the hole. Or a new piece of mesh. Might see what ss looks like.

11Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:21 pm

ainsjac

Life time member
Life time member
I made a custom grille for my orange bike a couple of years ago...check a journey begins...don't know how to link it to this post.

12Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:34 am

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
Nigel a bm logo off the pannier would fit over that hole and look smick all ya have to do is find one.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

13Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:30 pm

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
mmm . . .I did mine during the build. Same sort of deal really, just using Aluminium channel for the frame and SS screen

Started out plain square

and ended up with a BMW Kidney painted on:

Not sure which looks better. When I look back to how it started it looks a lot cleaner unpainted but then peoples say it does not look like it fits with the rest of the bike so it got painted

14Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
@K75cster wrote:Nigel a bm logo off the pannier would fit over that hole and look smick all ya have to do is find one.
I like that. A BM keychain fob would be just slightly bigger and easier to find. Thanks for the idea.

15Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:47 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
@Be made wrote:.....
Not sure which looks better. When I look back to how it started it looks a lot cleaner unpainted but then peoples say it does not look like it fits with the rest of the bike so it got painted
Be made, when I first saw yours I thought I'd do mine the same and I think it looks better painted.
I really like what you've done to the air intake. Looks smick from what I can see. Care to post a good closeup of that.

16Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Kaptain Holister wrote:I really like what you've done to the air intake. Looks smick from what I can see. Care to post a good closeup of that.
The Air intake has changed up since that photo was taken and now looks like all the rest (black, no grill) but I have the other one for when I get bored with the look

Very simple to do.

I just used a Hot melt glue gun, ran a bead around the edge first, pressed the grill in (tight fit) then ran the gun around the outside edge and painted

After I fitted the spot lamps the grill on the intake was barely noticable but I assume it would stop some major bugs prior to the filter doing the same thing

17Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
@ainsjac wrote:I made a custom grille for my orange bike a couple of years ago...check a journey begins...don't know how to link it to this post.
Find the post and right click on it the link at the top of it, select copy link location and then paste it in your new post;

http://www.k100-forum.com/t4086p200-the-journey-begins#49930

18Back to top Go down    Re: Custom Radiator Grille on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:21 pm

ainsjac

Life time member
Life time member
Many thanks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum