BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down    Phew - that was close. on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:04 pm

xpc316e

avatar
Gold member
Gold member
I have the 1100 on the workbench and am doing all sorts of jobs, one of which is an oil change. I drained the oil without any problems and replaced the sump plug with a new stainless steel one that holds a magnet. I then went to remove the three cap head Allen screws that secure the triangular oil filter cover, and to my horror my Allen wrench rounded out one of the screws.

Various methods of tackling the problem went through my mind, but none seemed easy. I eventually used a 1/4" drive ratchet drive with an appropriate Allen bit. I inserted it into the screw, and then tilted the ratchet in a bid to wedge the bit into the screw's socket. The use of the ratchet enabled me to keep the angle of the 'tilt' constant as I applied pressure to undo things.

Luckily, the extra bit of grip was enough to free off the screw, and out it came. Obviously new stainless steel screws went back in, after a coat of Coppaslip. Once bitten - twice shy.

Next time when something rounds out on you, try applying pressure at something than a straight 90 degrees to the axis of the screw - who knows, it might just work for you too?


__________________________________________________
VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.
    

2Back to top Go down    Re: Phew - that was close. on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Guest


Guest
Not sure that I would use coppaslip on those bolts, should one come out it would cause a huge mess and could cost an engine.

    

3Back to top Go down    Re: Phew - that was close. on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Kyle10

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks, X; good tip; never thought of the 'wedge/lever' method.

I tend to use a dab o' high-temp grease whenever I'm interfacing stainless steel w/ aluminum, as the two metals tend towards fusing together after awhile, esp. under high heat and moisture (read: road muck).


__________________________________________________
1985 K100rt 0052183
1983 Honda VF750 007713
    

4Back to top Go down    Re: Phew - that was close. on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:42 pm

xpc316e

avatar
Gold member
Gold member
You make a very valid point bikerboy. The new sump plug was drilled for lockwiring, so I could simply get out a suitable bit and drill the heads of the Allen screws, and then loop everything together with a length of lockwire. That way I'd be assured of easily removing the screws on subsequent oil changes, and not fret in the meantime about a total loss of lubricant. Another job for the lengthening list.


__________________________________________________
VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum