BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   What and when? Empty What and when? Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:52 am

Mike101

Mike101
Silver member
Silver member
I'm sure we have all read the various BMW manuals that say to change this and that at this point or that milleage..but....what is real life like.

Is there a list of what is advised to be changed by what milleage and again by what age.

My bike is an 87 K100LT but only has 36k miles on it...i've done all the fluids and shaft and brake hoses..what's left?

Mike

2Back to top Go down   What and when? Empty Re: What and when? Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:20 am

Real life for me is to do roughly what BMW say to do in the original manual/handbook with some modern technical knowledge added. By that I mean that when they wrote the handbook only certain old fashioned mineral oils were available. Modern synthetic oils last much longer, lubricate batter and are not damaged by overheating. BMW these days let their cars, both petrol and diesel go for over 30,000 miles on an oil change, the only reason is that oil is very different today.
The same goes for things like tyres, use modern tyres and not the old fashioned ones that the handbook tells you to use and you cannot go wrong.

3Back to top Go down   What and when? Empty Re: What and when? Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:02 am

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
Another way to answer your question "What's left? is: Depends on if it sat for an extended period of time and how the po maintained it.  In my case it sat for close to 3 years and required a bit more work.

Might want to refresh the fuel filter, pump sock, Fuel lines, crankcase vent hose, radiator hoses, balance the TB's and clean the grounding points.  If it sat and because if it's age and mileage, you may want to consider cleaning or upgrading the injectors.

4Back to top Go down   What and when? Empty Re: What and when? Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:21 am

Mike101

Mike101
Silver member
Silver member
I think i'm lucky in that it's been used a fair bit in the past 2 years.  Before that it got little use for around ten years.

Mike

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum