nickonoonoo

nickonoonoo
Hope this helps somebody!

http://www.animatedworksheets.co.uk

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I was going to research this for next week, so thanks!! I have a broken one, so I'll practice on it first...

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
To all,
Don't forget there is a push on clip which needs to be clipped round the mirror post to stop it dropping out when you reassemble.

The other thing I really strongly recommend is you buy or make some mirror tethers so that if you knock a mirror pod off it does not fall to the ground. Cyclegadgets sell them but one could make them up.
Regards,
K-BIKE

K75Dave

Just spotted the hole for a tether in my mirrors after I knocked one off in the garage (too many bikes or garage too small), only had the bike 6 months so that's 0 out of 10 for observation.Any idea what I can use as a tether? A piece of wire with a knot at each end will look a bit naff I suppose.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Dave,
If you get a piece of insulated wire with a loop knotted on one end one can loop it round the structure inside the hole the mirror pod clips on to and pass the wire back through the loop fastening it to the structure or slip it under a screw. One then attaches the other end inside the mirror pod and when one clips it in one feeds the wire into the hole and clips the mirror in place so nothing shows but if knocked off it dangles on the tether not crashes to the ground breaking the mirror (BTDT). Cyclegadgets sell them and I bought a set but at $17 one could make them http://www.cyclegadgets.com/products/product.asp?Item=RV
Regards,
K-BIKE

K75Dave

Thanks K, I have some black insulated wire so that's a job for the morning. I have to be very careful when filtering (10 miles yesterday morning, 6 vehicle RTA, shut Motorway and 2 hour delays for non-motorcycles) so that I don't touch anything and knock a mirror off.

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
Hi, newbie here, just wondering if the 1985K-100RT mirrors are hard mounted or bolted into the fairing or do they "pop" off with a good knock?
I'm too chicken to just whack one to find out.... How to remove mirrors from their pods Icon_redface

Thanks,
Rick

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Take a look at your model on the Real OEM site and see how the mirror goes together http://www.realoem.com/bmw/index.do
Regards,
K-BIKE

I'm using a short piece of ocky strap (bungie cord for those non-'Strines) with the plastic-coated metal hook cut off and a large knot at each end passed through the triangular metal plates and the mirror bodies. It's just long enough for the pod to dangle harmlessly but not bounce round the place if I whack a car mirror on the way to front of the queue at the lights. Works a charm!

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
K-Bike, thanks....it looks to me like the mirrors on my RT are bolted in place and do not have "pop-off" capability.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0514&mospid=47868&btnr=51_2653&hg=51&fg=10

Thanks,
Rick

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
All K100rt have the pop up type.
In order to remove them, you have to hit the mirror on the bottom outside corner. The "hit" should be oriented upward in a direction going from the outside bottom corner toward the front of the head light.

Last edited by Crazy Frog on Sat May 08, 2010 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
Well Crazy Frog I will give my mirror a hit today & see what happens.... How to remove mirrors from their pods Icon_eek
I do have what looks to be damage repair on the right mirror and the fairing where the mirror attaches to the fairing.
It looks like typical tip-over damage repair.
There is a visible crack that has been epoxied at one point then sanded & painted.
The damage was minor, but the repair was a home-made variety.
The mitrror "pop-off" function does not appear to have been working I guess, or the fairing itself would not have sustained a stress crack.
Just a theory, I'll investigate later.

Thanks,
Rick

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
I have an 85-RT faring and the mirrors definitely bolt on
my previous 87-RS faring had the knock off type
Removal of the glass my be the same though as I cracked one of mine trying to
remove it with a screwdriver prior to spraying the fainng
Luckily it on the inner part and I still get a good view behind me
and can live with the cracks

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Well, I'm with Bert on this one. All RT mirrors are supposed to come of when hit, this is why a lot of us have fitted a security wire to ensure we don't loose the mirror pod when it happens.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland How to remove mirrors from their pods Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
heres realoems 85RT mirror diagram
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0504&mospid=47867&btnr=51_2653&hg=51&fg=10
heres the 87RS mirror diagram
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0503&mospid=47865&btnr=51_2627&hg=51&fg=10

in the the 87RS diagram you can see the plate with 3 studs that the mirror clips to
allowing it to be knocked off

the 85RT looks bolted on and number 3 appears to be slot headed screw
Heres a pic of the RT fairing as I was removing it fom the bike
How to remove mirrors from their pods 85rt
Those screws go into the mirror body not a mounting plate like the RS
and I cant understand how it can be knocked off and refitted like the RS one.

About to go out and just yanked mine about until the fairing was flexing
Nope, cant see it myself, have I missed something?

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I was just checking the dealer cd, and for RT fairing they don't list any "screws", but they list them as pins.
In fact, they are technically screws.
The heads are slotted to be able to hold them when installing the retaining nut (inside the fairing).
The mirror are clipping on the head of these screws or pins. Look closely at the shape of the heads on the documentation. They have a step where the mirrors clip on.

How would you access the head of theses pins if the mirrors were not clip on?

How to remove mirrors from their pods Mirror10

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I just went to the shed and removed the mirror to take pictures (excuse the dead bugs on the fairing).
Now you have a pretty good idea how it works.

Cheers

Bert

How to remove mirrors from their pods Dsc_1014

How to remove mirrors from their pods Dsc_1015

How to remove mirrors from their pods Dsc_1016

How to remove mirrors from their pods Dsc_1017

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
Ahhhh ! I see
So, did they go back on OK? must take a fair old clout to get them off
I can see the point about tethers now though

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
It's easier to put them back on than removing them

Good luck!

CF

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
Well I'll be darned.... How to remove mirrors from their pods Icon_surprised
I'll definately give that a try!
And I won't be so CHICKEN.

Thanks,
Rick

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
A small smear of grease is worth putting on the clip posts and definitely the tethers.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
Well, I whacked mine as hard as I thought I should HAVE to, but no "pop".
My mirrors have been there for 25 years I tyhink, and they are not in a big hurry to come off.
Seriously, how hard to you need to hit them??
It feels like I'm going to break something if I hit much harder.

Rick

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Why do you need to get it off? Normally it takes a good whack, but you can change the mirror glass without moving the pod.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland How to remove mirrors from their pods Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
I need to get mine off because I will be loading the bike on the rear deck of my truck.
It just so happens that those mirrors (well one side at least) will be kind of in the way for easy loading with the set-up I have.
It just would make my loading job easier with a narrower bike, the mirrors add 5" on each side.
You would probably have to see it to fully understand it.
Here is a picture of my RV, I load the bike sideways behind the cab of the Volvo.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YR_-wC4t16I/SYzgdPuw3aI/AAAAAAAABPI/xsSZb0MvSs4/s1600-h/Leaving+EG+Simmons.JPG

Rick

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I am ready to do a straight exchange of my K100rt (without the mirrors) for the truck and trailer.
I will deliver the bike to St Sauveur (followed by my French speaking wife and our 10 kids) Very Happy Very Happy

Maybe you should unbolt them from the fairing and spray a lot of WD40 in order to remove them.
This is what I had to do when I got my bike.
Because of the bike having spent 20 years outside, they were seized and like you I chicken and was scared to remove them when mounted on the fairing.

Bert

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
Ha Ha Ha...I've been offered a newish K-1100 with almost new tires & I turned him down...so nope not interested in your K-100... How to remove mirrors from their pods Icon_biggrin
Thanks for the advice, I will take you up and do just that.

Rick

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I have to stop saying that I have 10 kids because people will change my name from CF to Crazy Rabbit or turbo rabbit........ Razz

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Its alright we know it is only 9 Very Happy

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/sight-glass1.shtml

Another how to is the replacement of the oil sight glass. Most need changing after a lot of miles. See link.

My RS mirrors certainly popped off with the slightest of knocks and are refitted instantly. Just imagine the damage to the whole faring if they were fixed...BMW designers would have seen this in an instant.
Ajays

PS. Rick, what's it like to be poor..!

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
Well, my mirrors are still right where they have been since I bought the K.
I cannot knock them free.
I'll try the panzie-ass way, and un-bolt them 1st from the inside of the fairing, then try to free'em up.
Ajays, poverty is tuff, but I manage..... Wink
Actually just got back from 4 days with 8 other similarly equipped buddies, we had our annual Rally on Lake Ontario.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I guess I will have to ride to Quebec to remove your mirrors....
This will cost you a lot at the SAQ! (Only people from Quebec can get it)
SAQ stands for Society of Alcohol of Quebec. They are the provincial government liquor stores Very Happy
Check your personal mail as I give you my brother's phone #. He lives in Laval and can help you.

Bert

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
Bert, I am in no hurry to remove those friggen mirrors, but I would probably enjoy meeting one of your family.
Does he ride an Uber-Bike as well?

Rick

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
YES! What do you expect? He's my twin brother (Frog #2 but not as crazy as me.)
He's riding a 1985 K100rt

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
Bert, I appreciate your efforts to help.
I'm sure Laurent would be glad to haul-off and WHACK my RT mirrors as hard as he can in order to show me how it's done.
I can just see us, after the 1st one is lying on the ground in 9 pieces, staring at each-other, then him laughing & me muttering something under my breath about crazy frog and his crazy brother....LOL!

For now, I'll leave Laurent alone, I'll save that favor for when I really need help with an RT malaise.

How go the home renovations so far?

Rick

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Finally_A_K wrote:
How go the home renovations so far? Rick
I am still working on it. The outside shell is done (windows, doors, siding, insulation and roof + lifting the house to replace the sill plate)
I am still slowly working on the inside and expect to finish by Xmas. Just in time to start to work on my K75 and have it ready for next season.
Give a call to Crazy Frog #2. You could go for a ride together.
I just sent an Email to another member of the QC club: Richard Veilleux was visiting Nova Scotia with his brother in law.

Cheers

Bert

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
Sounds like a full-time job Bert, not a side-line for spare time.
I do quite a bit of carpentry work my-self, and it can be rewarding if it doesn't get too frustrating... Mad

Thanks again,
Rick

Last edited by Finally_A_K on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Frustration??
I am actually crack filling and I hate this job. I can swear in 20 different languages.
As you said, it's rewarding when you accomplish what you were planning.

My biggest challenge was the tiling of the bathrooms. I used a membrane between the gyproc and the tiles and its tricky to install.

Cheers

Bert

sgmayhew

sgmayhew
Silver member
Silver member
No amount of whacking would remove the mirror pods from my 1989 LT. I eventually prised them off one stud at a time starting with the single one at the top and using a broad headed screwdriver inserted between the pod and the fairing and close to each stud. The clips in the pods were all found to be corroded

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Is the clue in your details "1987 K100RS with RT fairing and bars and stuff" did you do the conversion because if someone else did it that may be why some have the pop off and you do not - just a guess could be totally wrong. The pop off won't help much with a tip over as the shock comes right on the end of the mirror and there is little to assist in the pop off even if it could so I suspect for a dropped from a standing position it could still damage the fairing and mirror.
Regards,
K-BIKE

viney

If you have having trouble with the whacking method maybe my experience can help you although some care must be taken that you don't mark your bike

i recently resprayed my bike so had to strip her down for the job
I tried giving the mirrors on my RT a good "whack" in various directions (from underneath to the front, towards the rear, straight up etc.). i even whacked it so hard one time i split the pod in 2 pieces but the damn thing was more stubborn than my ex wife it wouldn't budge from the fairing

so i put up the white flag and just grabbed a flat screwdriver and jammed it in there and levered the mirror off. it took about 10 seconds and was piss easy to do but it did put a small mark (2mm) on the paint from where i levered it. since i was painting the whole thing it didn't matter

i would say that if you can't get them off with a good solid whack then you can use a flat screwdriver (i did it from the front but underneath might be better just in case you mark it) but just be sure to protect the fairing from being marked as you lever the mirror out
slowly lever it out, it will come out easier than you think but keep en eye on your rubbers in between the fairing and mirrors to make sure nothing gets damaged

cheers

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
As an aside but sort of related, neither of my pods have retaining clips on the back. Is it possible to buy them. The mirrors shake like crazy so i've split fish tank air filter tubing and slipped it all around the mirrprs edge. Looks tacky but they are stable now.
RT

viney

Hey RT
Do you mean the bracket that goes inside the fairing or the little plug hole things on the actual mirror?

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Take a look at the Real OEM site and see if you can see them with a part number.
Regards,
K-BIKE

studebaker8

What works for me on the LT is a length of fishing line with about 2 turns on the rear of the mirror bracket and the ends top and bottom.
Apply steady pressure and out they pop.

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Well I read Crazy Frog I think some time ago about "don't forget to attach the clips behind the mirror". Can't find that now of course but it stuck with me.
My mirror backing plate just has a knob that slips into a cuppish holder
in the pod and I cannot see where a clip can fit. Checked out OEM but again
just cannot identify anything diffferent. The mirrors are fixed in and swivel but seem to be very free in action, thus my tubing, albiet very effective so far.
Just keep expecting them to fall out. Sigh, so little faith in my inventions.
RT.

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
The clip, yes the clip. Didn't reinstall that little clip on my new mirror lens. Went for my first ride of the year 2 days ago. The lens waited until moderate traffic before making it's suicidal effort to leap into on coming traffic. It lay there in the wheelpath and was pulverized by no fewer than 6 sets of uncaring tires before I could recover it's shattered remains. My pannier serves crypt duty until I can decide on a suitable method of saying goodbye. I'm leaning towards a burning Viking ship pushed out to sea.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I was going to say no to pushing it out to sea...but then I thought that would be something to see (no pun intended). At night of course, fire and all that.

But then it would be out of sight out of mind and there would come a time when you will completely forget about the mirror. That's really sad.

Better off to bury it in the back yard and give it a headstone, so you can remember the brief, yet special moments, that you once shared.

...or just toss it in the bin.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Richard1

Silver member
Silver member
Crazy Frog, You are the man. You have certainly put to rest the question of RT pop-off or bolt mirrors. Your explaination and also the pictures have convinced me that I can pop them off. Just need to get up enough nerve to try it.
Thanks
Richard1

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum