BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:44 am

88

88
Life time member
Life time member
I need a new top box for will upcoming trip to France. I need one of the horizontal carrier rack ( as opposed to sloping original) if any one has one kicking around pm my with a price please.
Will


__________________________________________________
Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Ir-log1188....May contain nuts!Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Ir-log11

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

Bike: K100LT 1988. 0172363. AKA the Bullion Brick! Mods: k1100 screen and stands.
K1: 1990. 6374189. Custom Stealth Black paint.
    

2Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Re: Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:09 am

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."  from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

3Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Re: Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:58 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Givi E181 is what you need.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

4Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Givi's topcase carrier rack on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:21 pm

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
88KE wrote:I need a new top box for will upcoming trip to France. I need one of the horizontal carrier rack ( as opposed to sloping original) if any one has one kicking around pm my with a price please.
Will


On my K 100 I installed Givi's Top case carrier such as this one, replacing the original (everything you need - screws, bolts etc. - is included in the set), It costed me less, though - just € 69,90. So Google for a cheaper offer:

http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-elderly-model-since-1969/Seats-Trunks-and-Bags/Top-case-mounting.html

Then, because the design of Givi's own top cases does not fit well with BMW original side cases (AND cost of Givi is bit too high for my pocket), I bought and installed "Moto Detail" case from one of three huge German motorcycle shop's chains, Detlev Louis. It's an earlier model similar to what they now offer:

http://www.louis.de/_30dab61315ffa97a1ba748d5f6810aa19b/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10025920

Cheers
Tarik

    

5Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Here's cheaper: on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:23 pm

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
88KE wrote:I need a new top box for will upcoming trip to France. I need one of the horizontal carrier rack ( as opposed to sloping original) if any one has one kicking around pm my with a price please.
Will

http://www.motobuykers.co.uk/store/motorbike-accessories/luggage-accessories/hard-cases-givi_top-case-rack-givi/trunk-adaptor-kit-monokey-c-m5-bmw-k100-1000-90-k-rs-1100-k75-750_GIVIE181.html


I suppose you can ask the GIVI dealer in your country too?

    

6Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Pics too on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:37 pm

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
88KE wrote:I need a new top box for will upcoming trip to France. I need one of the horizontal carrier rack ( as opposed to sloping original) if any one has one kicking around pm my with a price please.
Will
 
See how it looks:

Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Top_ca10

Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Top_ca11

    

7Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Re: Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:33 pm

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
I do hope you have some reinforcing under the tail section because I am in the process of fixing my wife's tail section because it got busted up from the stress of a top box.  It tore the fibreglass apart and we had to use gaffa tape to keep the box from falling off the bike.


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."  from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

8Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Re: Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:46 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It was also a problem with the 50 litre OEM box on the 100LT which was bolted
directly to the duck tail, but it also stretched far behind the tail
....wrong weight distribution....it didn't stay long on the market.


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

9Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty No reinforcing yet on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:25 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
@RicK G wrote:I do hope you have some reinforcing under the tail section because I am in the process of fixing my wife's tail section because it got busted up from the stress of a top box.  It tore the fibreglass apart and we had to use gaffa tape to keep the box from falling off the bike.

Well to be honest I did not install any, because the way how this rack was being attached seemed quite firm to me, and that the forces are well distributed. I also try never to carry anything too heavy in the top case - my laptop being the heaviest item.

    

10Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Re: Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:55 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
One thing which has not been mentioned with regard to top boxes is the stress induced by the airflow.  It will be more prevalent on the forward outside front surface of the box and will act as a mini airbrake interfering with the streamlining of the airflow over the bike.  Although not an expert in aerodynamics, there will be a greater influence as compared to say the BMW OEM top box.   

As I have only ever been on a couple of perfect road surfaces (racetracks), everything else has bumps and irregularities.  There will be further stress induced by the weight of the top box through the mounting points and as the bike bounces around on the road, the stresses all add up.  If anything is loosely packed inside the box on a bumpy or twisty road, resulting in weight movement, then this will compound the stresses as the directions change.  As the contact surface is relatively small through the four mounting points, I doubt there will be a perfect system to prevent stress fractures (cracks) for our bikes unless the duck tail is made of metal. 

Always a compromise, so the bottom line is don't carry too much heavy crap inside. 

I guess the Givis are popular because you can lock a helmet inside.  Personally I prefer the BMW OEM. 

Just an opinion so feel free to disagree.


__________________________________________________
Red 1991 K75S
    

11Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Re: Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

92KK 84WW Olaf
Life time member
Life time member
Just an opinion so feel free to disagree.

Saying that to an Irishman....its a legitimate invitation to engage in 'lively debate'.

But very valid. I have a large top box, most essential to make sure everything is tightly fitted up and no play, load spreading washers inside the ducktail. Riding without the box on, even empty, has a very very noticeable difference.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Alaska Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 58,645 now 98,780 miles
1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell No 32,600 miles
    

12Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Just as good & cheaper on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
@TacKler wrote:One thing which has not been mentioned with regard to top boxes is the stress induced by the airflow.  It will be more prevalent on the forward outside front surface of the box and will act as a mini airbrake interfering with the streamlining of the airflow over the bike.  Although not an expert in aerodynamics, there will be a greater influence as compared to say the BMW OEM top box.   

As I have only ever been on a couple of perfect road surfaces (racetracks), everything else has bumps and irregularities.  There will be further stress induced by the weight of the top box through the mounting points and as the bike bounces around on the road, the stresses all add up.  If anything is loosely packed inside the box on a bumpy or twisty road, resulting in weight movement, then this will compound the stresses as the directions change.  As the contact surface is relatively small through the four mounting points, I doubt there will be a perfect system to prevent stress fractures (cracks) for our bikes unless the duck tail is made of metal. 

Always a compromise, so the bottom line is don't carry too much heavy crap inside. 

I guess the Givis are popular because you can lock a helmet inside.  Personally I prefer the BMW OEM. 

Just an opinion so feel free to disagree.

Moto Detail from Louis are just as good when build quality is in question, you can lock a helmet (or two - see the pic), and cost much less for the same size...

Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU 10025920_740_ANW1_FR_05

    

13Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty All that's there on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member

    

14Back to top Go down   Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU Empty Re: Luggage rack - horizontal type- EU on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:07 am

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
@ffbikersa wrote:
@RicK G wrote:I do hope you have some reinforcing under the tail section because I am in the process of fixing my wife's tail section because it got busted up from the stress of a top box.  It tore the fibreglass apart and we had to use gaffa tape to keep the box from falling off the bike.

Well to be honest I did not install any, because the way how this rack was being attached seemed quite firm to me, and that the forces are well distributed. I also try never to carry anything too heavy in the top case - my laptop being the heaviest item.
My wife rarely carried much more than wet weather gear and handbag and kept the space to store her helmet when not riding.
Good luck I think you will need it.


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."  from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum