BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Chook the Lyre Bird Empty Chook the Lyre Bird Thu May 08, 2014 7:11 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Just saw this. Seems poor Chook is no longer with us.

For those unfamiliar with a Lyre Bird, they mimic any sound they hear.
Chook was listening to construction work at the Adelaide Zoo.
From what I can tell, apart from the monkeys in the background, all the other sounds/ bird calls are from chook.

The name comes from the tail. Shaped like a lyre. You can see him fan it out. Also on the obverse of the Oz 10c coin.

Enjoy.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

2Back to top Go down   Chook the Lyre Bird Empty Re: Chook the Lyre Bird Thu May 08, 2014 8:19 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Margaret, my wife and I came across one in the Barrington Tops National Park about 20 years ago.
We first of all heard a chainsaw and thought that some rangers may be doing some maintenance then we heard it again very close to us (we were on an old logging trail walking), we very quietly had a search about and quickly saw him about 30 meters of in the bush and we just stood there as quietly as we could and listened to him for about 20 minutes. The predominant sound was the chainsaw but a kookaburra as Chook was doing and many other bird calls that we had heard from time to time elsewhere but could not identify and one that we just couldn't make out until later that night back at the camp we realized it was a diesel logging truck changing up gears. We later saw one of the rangers and commented on the Lyre bird and he told us that the first time they heard it they went looking for who was cutting firewood in the national park.
He also confirmed the truck changing gears and said that we were just inside the national park and over the ridge (100 metres) was state forest where chainsaws were being used and logging trucks collected the logs.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Chook the Lyre Bird Empty Re: Chook the Lyre Bird Thu May 08, 2014 9:01 am

Dale S

Dale S
Silver member
Silver member
I'd like to hear one imitating a "K" doing 100 down the hwy 🆒

4Back to top Go down   Chook the Lyre Bird Empty Re: Chook the Lyre Bird Thu May 08, 2014 9:38 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
amazing eh ?
have heard them imitating bell birds and whip birds as well ...many years ago now

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Chook the Lyre Bird Empty Re: Chook the Lyre Bird Thu May 08, 2014 7:16 pm

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
very enjoyable , thanks Rossko.
after all that hammering and drilling , not much to show for his efforts, except a good laugh.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Chook the Lyre Bird 10_x_110

6Back to top Go down   Chook the Lyre Bird Empty Lettuce know Fri May 09, 2014 8:40 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
A man goes to the doctor and says: 'Doctor, there's a piece of lettuce sticking out of my bottom.' The doctor asks him to drop his trousers and examines him.

The man asks: 'Is it serious, doctor?' and the doctor replies: 'I'm sorry to tell you, but this is just the tip of the iceberg.'

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Chook the Lyre Bird K-dogs10

7Back to top Go down   Chook the Lyre Bird Empty Re: Chook the Lyre Bird Fri May 09, 2014 10:59 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Chook the Lyre Bird 44271 

Chook the Lyre Bird 22936

92 K 1100 LT  6455097 (gone)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum