BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Muffler has finally given up its baffle on Tue May 13, 2014 6:31 am

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
A few weeks back the bike was backfiring a lot and seemed a little louder than normal

Not knowing what it was, suspecting maybe a timing issue, I rode down to the local BM expert who told me "oh yes, if the exhaust leaks at all it will cause farting alright, and quite a lot of it, especially on de-celleration"

Well, Upon resealing the header / muffler joints the bike was running real well and nice and quiet as opposed to farting a LOT, and it seemed that, for the very first time this machine was actually running like it was built to

Until today that is . . when the front wall in the interior baffle gave way. Now shes farting worse than ever!

Just as well I have a spare off the other bike :-))

The original one did 110000ks before it got to me, probably at normal commuter revs, then I did 8500 or so k's at a lot higher revs, so . . the baffle wall lasted a total of roughly 120,000 k's

The replacement I am fitting tomorrow has 48000 ks on the clock . well. Will see how long it lasts

When the replacement wears out I will obviously most probably go for an aftermarket setup unless I can find a good second hand one.

Not sure if they make them new or not. Might be worth it if I could get one

charlie99

VIP
VIP
I guess you have to remember that some folks ...don't ride "like they stole it" so could quite possible build up a load of carbon on the baffles ...just waiting to ignite and burn out when some one ...erm cleans out the system with spirited riding .

an oldacquaintance used to fix the blow torch down the guts of many 2 stroke type exhausts to burn the junk out ...which proved quite a noticeable performance boost (possibly lining his pockets whith the knowledge that a new exhaust will be required ...erm sooner than later

if you can find one ...the "stayintune" muffler ...could be a welcome new addition ?

good luck !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
@charlie99 wrote:I guess you have to remember that some folks ...don't ride "like they stole it" . . . if you can find one ...the "stayintune" muffler ...could be a welcome new addition ?

good luck !
Thanks for that. Appreciate the post

One nice facet / Bonus of doing a muffler replacement . . WOW . . . run the engine just on the header pipes :smoke:

LOVELY noise! , , ( I mean . . errmmm . . sound :__))

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Replacement muffler polished and fitted.

All happy and nice and quiet and fartless once again . . for now . . until next time Smile

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Original Mufflers still available ex factory @ only $1150 NZD delivered

staintune no longer makin them

custom setup about $650 plus the bike for a week / 4 into 2

charlie99

VIP
VIP
did you check out the "zorst" thread

some very reasonable sound emanates from albys and seaniis exhausts ...and by the way ...not too loud along that path ...

you could do well with a standard looking muffler ..and little more flow ...perhaps ??

http://www.k100-forum.com/t4670-the-zorst-and-other-weighty-matters
and

http://www.k100-forum.com/t3622-modifying-a-standard-muffler

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
@charlie99 wrote:did you check out the "zorst" thread

some very reasonable sound emanates from albys and seaniis exhausts ...and by the way ...not too loud along that path ...

you could do well with a standard looking muffler ..and little more flow ...perhaps ??

http://www.k100-forum.com/t4670-the-zorst-and-other-weighty-matters
and

http://www.k100-forum.com/t3622-modifying-a-standard-muffler
Thanks for that. I will be checking out all the possibilities, not expecting the one I just fitted to last more than prossibly a season or 2, maybe another 15 - 20000 ks . Might even feel super flush one day and order an OEM Smile

gabriel

Silver member
Silver member
Hi

My k100 is undergoing a few repairs and I was wondering will I damage the bike if my muffler has a leak.
How loud is the engine without the muffler?
I'm trying to find a workshop in Melbourne who can repair my muffler but I am very tempted to try and start the engine with the leaking exhaust.
Bike has been sitting for approx four years.what size socket for the spark plugs?

Thanks

Gabriel

RicK G

VIP
VIP
You wont do any damage starting the engine with a leaking muffler and riding it with the leak it has will probably only cause a bit of backfiring on slowdown. Running without a mufler is noisy, very noisy with a high compression engine.
Try to find a sheet metal place that does TIG welding to fix the muffler. A bike workshop would most likely send it there to be done.
The spark plug socket is usually in the tool kit but many bikes of this age have parted company with the tool kit long ago. I would recommend going to Repco or some auto shop that sells quality tools and get the right socket. The plug is a D7EA so the shop will know what size. I am not 100% sure but I think it is 16mm.
The correct socket will have a rubber insert to hold the plug till it's in place.
If you put a wanted add on the forum you will probably find someone that has a muffler. Besides wearing them out on the road they last the life of the bike and longer usually.

Holister

Life time member
Life time member

This is quite interesting

And this ones good for a laugh.... Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing affraid Shocked mmmm

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

11Back to top Go down    Re: Muffler has finally given up its baffle on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:52 pm

TacKler

Life time member
Life time member
The correct size spark plug socket is 18mm.

12Back to top Go down    Re: Muffler has finally given up its baffle on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:57 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
You'll need a short extension also but you could buy this one from Motorworks. It comes as a part of the tool kit and the wheel brace fits over the end. It also has a nylon bush to keep it square so you don't crack the ceramic body of the SP as you're torquing it.

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
A bog standard 18mm spark plug socket should go on but... in one case only on a K1100 I found that the front (no.1) plug hole was very slightly off-centre and the only socket that would fit was an OEM style because the walls are much thinner.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

14Back to top Go down    Re: Muffler has finally given up its baffle on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:52 am

Two Wheels Better

Gabriel, I've got a bog stock zorst in my shed in SE Qld. It fits K100 from late '85 on - I didn't look to see what year yours is*. It's clean but without the heat shields. I took it off when I went to the Motad that's on there now. I'll be back home in two weeks' time. PM if you're interested.

*Never mind, I see you don't have your year/model in your post anyway.
That's a good idea to do so that we know what you're asking particular questions about.

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K11/K12 Big Block, '94 R100R Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R & '07 K1200R

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum