BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Stubborn Fork Bolt Empty Stubborn Fork Bolt Mon 19 May 2014, 10:25

GeorgiaK

GeorgiaK
Silver member
Silver member
I'm installing new headlight brackets that slide on over the fork tubes. I'm trying to remove the top fork support bar so I can slide these things on. Assuming I'm targeting the correct bolts, they are not budging. Save me, oh K bike brothers.

Stubborn Fork Bolt Photo-17

I've tried uploading this photo a bajillion times and it always uploads rotated wrong. Same thing with photos I tried posting yesterday. 💣

2Back to top Go down   Stubborn Fork Bolt Empty Re: Stubborn Fork Bolt Mon 19 May 2014, 10:35

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
First thing, get your bike off its side  🐰 

Get a bottle of Marv. Mystery Oil and a can of acetone. Mix 50/50. Apply it to the bolts and leave it, overnight if possible. The best penetrating oil you can get. 

And gawd do not make a hash out of the bolt hex. It's easy to do and hell to rectify. Aluminum can, does 'weld' to other metals given time and conditions. This could be what you're dealing with.

3Back to top Go down   Stubborn Fork Bolt Empty Re: Stubborn Fork Bolt Mon 19 May 2014, 10:47

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Sometimes, giving a good blow with a hammer on the head of the screw will help "unseizing" the thread.
After that it will be easier for the penetrating oil to clear the corrosion.

CF

4Back to top Go down   Stubborn Fork Bolt Empty Re: Stubborn Fork Bolt Mon 19 May 2014, 10:51

GeorgiaK

GeorgiaK
Silver member
Silver member
Ordered the penetrating oils and will give it a go. I was definitely afraid of stripping this thing out, that's why I came to y'all.

CF, Ah! Yes! I've used this trick before. I'll give it a shot along with the penetrating oil.

5Back to top Go down   Stubborn Fork Bolt Empty Re: Stubborn Fork Bolt Mon 19 May 2014, 11:15

xpc316e

xpc316e
Gold member
Gold member
Get a small asbestos mat from a plumbers' merchant to shield the wires and cables and get some heat on that sucker.

When you do get it out make sure it is replaced by a socket head screw of normal depth.  For some crazy reason these bolts have a shallow head for the Allen key to locate into.  Couple that with their tendency to seize and you have a problem.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

6Back to top Go down   Stubborn Fork Bolt Empty Re: Stubborn Fork Bolt Wed 21 May 2014, 21:55

GeorgiaK

GeorgiaK
Silver member
Silver member
I applied the penetrating oil/acetone mix with no success. I just applied it with a rag and let it sit most of the day. Is there any trick to applying it?

Last resort is getting my torch out.

7Back to top Go down   Stubborn Fork Bolt Empty Re: Stubborn Fork Bolt Wed 21 May 2014, 22:05

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I know that this is a last resort thing but peining the alloy around the bolt with a 12oz ball pein hammer can make the corrosion let go as well it also makes the surface dimpled but I reckon that at this stage getting the bolt out is the aim.
I have a set of old allen keys that are now just a straight shaft and a set of small ring spanners that fit each size down to 5mm (stahlwille) and put the key in the head of the bolt with the ring spanner on the key then pound the end of the key and apply some pressure to undo at the same time. Don't be afraid to pound it hard as the only thing that you will damage is the old allen key and they are plentiful.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   Stubborn Fork Bolt Empty Re: Stubborn Fork Bolt Wed 21 May 2014, 23:23

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
When you do manage to remove it, replace both upper and lower ones with hex bolts. You will need a couple of additional washers on the lower bolts to enable the hexagon to clear the counter sunk holes. Don't forget to lube them! John

9Back to top Go down   Stubborn Fork Bolt Empty Re: Stubborn Fork Bolt Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:09

GeorgiaK

GeorgiaK
Silver member
Silver member
After pumping some iron, I was finally able to get those buggers off. Turns out that the penetrating oil mixed with some bigger tools did the trick.   Stubborn Fork Bolt 22936

10Back to top Go down   Stubborn Fork Bolt Empty Re: Stubborn Fork Bolt Wed 04 Jun 2014, 14:59

two66mhz

two66mhz
xpc316e wrote:Get a small asbestos mat from a plumbers' merchant to shield the wires and cables and get some heat on that sucker.

When you do get it out make sure it is replaced by a socket head screw of normal depth.  For some crazy reason these bolts have a shallow head for the Allen key to locate into.  Couple that with their tendency to seize and you have a problem.

Asbestos Mat? You still can buy those? Question

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum