BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty cruise control Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
thinking ahead for the 2015 Tassie trip , 
knowing that my arm won't tolerate the distance holding onto the throttle, I'm looking at options of cruise control. 
in brief , easy to install , low cost ,and ease of operating.
I have been using the cheap throttle grip as below, but they lose their grip in the wet.
cruise control  _57_910

has anyone had success with other types?
for a few dollars more maybe the Kaoko range? anything else out there?
cruise control  Ccf50010

I'd like to make the trip as pleasurable as possible , and keep up with the schedule. 
I'm strongly thinking of hauling the Kart as a support vehicle, will this affect my options for control?

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
cruise control  10_x_110

2Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Make your trip really pleasureable and get a real cruise control like I have. They are worth their weight in gold. You will never be sorry about fitting one especially when the patrol cars just pass you by.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=422

Duck has a heap of instructions on fitting on the motobrick and classicK sites.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:16 pm

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Rick , do these units operate at a constant speed even when navigating up and down hills?
some car installations tend to change when the gradient varies for more than 500 m. you lose speed on the uphills and gain on the downside.
I'm willing to compensate when the slope changes , just good to get feedback.
how did you find it with the trailer on board?

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
cruise control  10_x_110

4Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:36 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It holds mine within 2-3 kph usually on the high side when going up hills because the bike is much more powerful than is usually what it is used on.
You set them to very sensetive and they work very well.
I have set mine up so that it can only pull the throttle about 1/3 open and it wont accelerate real hard when you engage it from a much lower speed than it is set to.
It is just so far ahead of a throttle lock or a throttle rocker that you would never consider using those again.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

5Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:30 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Does your hand throttle have the threaded hole underneath?  many Ks do.  You can fit a throttle friction screw.
cruise control  61183

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

cruise control  K-dogs10

6Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:11 pm

kjo

kjo
the links for the cruise install all lead to a dead site -- any chance of PDF access..?

thanks

KJO

7Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:34 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
PM me for a link to where my website is now.  I temporarily disabled the old links because some a-hole from another site was copying all of the material and posting it to another forum despite my request not to do so.  It's still up.  I just changed it a little by altering some directory names.

(The reason I don't like it copied is that I often go back and update things or amend errors. This doesn't get carried over if someone has cut-n-pasted it somewhere else.)

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

8Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:18 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member

9Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:08 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Can someone confirm the thread size on this . It looks like Metric fine?  John 

cruise control  61183

10Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:29 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi John,
It's M8 x .75

Paul.

11Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:03 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks Paul. John

12Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:41 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I use these on my bikes, along with a Throttle Rocker.
cruise control  Gocrui10
$19.95, though a twisted up piece of semi-rigid coated wire wrapped round the throttle grip and resting against the brake lever will do the same thing.
cruise control  Twiste10

The silicon ring opens up all manner of possibilities...
Idea

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

13Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:39 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Two Wheels Better wrote:I use these on my bikes, along with a Throttle Rocker.
though a twisted up piece of semi-rigid coated wire wrapped round the throttle grip and resting against the brake lever will do the same thing.
cruise control  Twiste10

The silicon ring opens up all manner of possibilities...
Idea
For us in Nova Scotia, in order to get the bike safety inspected, the throttle grip has to return to the iddle position as soon as you let it go.
I don't know what would be the implication of having a device locking the throttle grip in case of an accident.
You know, insurances are good to collect your money, but they will try to find any excuses for not paying for damages if the bike was in a collision and had any modification made after the safety inspection.
Looking at Nino's thread (https://www.k100-forum.com/t7083-simple-cruise-control), I prefer his solution as if you touch the brake lever, the locking mechanism should disengage and the throttle grip should freely return to iddle. This is the same principle as yours, but the mechanism goes from the bottom of the grip.

14Back to top Go down   cruise control  Empty Re: cruise control Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The design rules in Australia have the same requirements but many are getting away with throttle locks.
I have been using the same setup as Duck a few posts earlier and it is a really top setup. I would not be without it now and it makes any throttle lock look like a second rate piece of scrap.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum