BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

51Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:41 am

Rick G

admin
admin
Danish biker wrote:
Dai wrote:Quite some while ago, after dumping diesel dinosaur pee in LFB (because that was all that was available at the time and I needed oil desperately), I asked an army-trained vehicle mechanic (who is also a biker/triker) if it would do any damage. His response - which bears out everything said above - was 'No. Diesel engine oil is designed for tougher environments than petrol engine oil and, if anything, will clean the sh!t out of your engine'.

Pushing 33 years as a infantry officer I can only say you are right. I got the same advice from some of all the army mechanics I've served with both in land and in missions throughout the world. How ever I'll try the cleaning liquid for 30 minutes, in a hot engine first. And then the Castrol I bought. If it doesn't help I'll probably use diesel fuel Cool

Any last remarks before I try the trick tomorrow?
NOT Diesel fuel but lubricating oil designed for use in diesel engines.

52Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:39 am

Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:NOT Diesel fuel but lubricating oil designed for use in diesel engines.
Just refer back to CF's post #2 Rick.....the first mention of Fuel in the Thread was his reference to his brother using it to loosen the sprag. It was Diesel fuel used and for only 10 mins idling. Anyway I tried that with my K75 and it did flush a lot of crap out but the sprag stayed stuck!!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

53Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:43 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
RicK G wrote:NOT Diesel fuel but lubricating oil designed for use in diesel engines.
He, he sorry that was a joke. I think some one earlier wrote he flushed his BMW in diesel fuel. Quit many liters. Of course not running the engine (or maybe he did for a minute). But don't worry I'm not there yet. If my "tomorrow job" doesn't work next step will be spending lots of $$$$$ at the BMW dealer.

54Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:13 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would be very careful about taking it to a dealer but would prefer to have a private experienced BMW repairer look at it. Most dealers have not seen the inside of a Brick since the warranty expired and are experienced on the later models that they get into the workshops and many of the technicians have never worked on them.
I have heard of one dealer that sends any older bikes to the mechanic who do know about them then makes out that they have fixed it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

55Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
The benefits to running diesel oil is not for the detergents, but for the zinc. Zinc is the stuff which binds and 'fills' the metal surfaces, increasing its slipperiness and its durability. People wrongly think that oil detergents are the bee's knees, which they aren't. Detergents remove zinc. It's benefits are dubious; it's introduction was at the behest of environmental considerations, which those benefits have never been defined clearly. 

You want to flush your engine with diesel *fuel* then you're on your own. I wouldn't do it, personally. But if you want to run your bike - continually - with diesel *oil* then, yes, it'll love it. 

Just because it reads that it's for diesel engines doesn't mean that it has diesel fuel in it. It doesn't. Funny how people draw that conclusion. It's simply rated for the extreme conditions that prevail in the diesel combustion process.

56Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:33 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Mmmmm. I'm on the fence when it comes to diesel oil in an old K. Synthetic is slightly detergent but I get the impression that diesel oil is very sudsy. Too much cleaning is not good for older engines and running continually in a high detergent oil I think would be detrimental. This will be compounded if you change your oil too frequently. Detergents last around 2000km before they're burnt off from what I've read which leaves about 3 or 4k km in 'normal' oil. Change your oil at intervals around 2k or sooner and you will be continually running in a detergent oil = higher wear. Just what I've read.

Is there some way that detergent in engine oil is quantified? How much is in diesel oil compared to normal engine oil or synthetic?

Zinc levels have decreased over recent years due to their effect on catalytic converters but I think its an important additive. Moly derivitives are being use these days also.

Back to the sprag clutch. I've read somewhere on this forum that its possible to free it up by spraying it with something like carby cleaner thru the starter motor recess in the GB. Anyone tried that? I've never had any problems with my sprag, probably because I use synthetic and my PO ran good quality semi-synth. Plus the old girl get a good run nearly everyday and lots of long trips.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

57Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:50 am

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
Driven engine oil: zinc

Here's a good read from the company that supplies our engine lubes,  Capt

58Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:00 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Holister I've read exactly the same (cleaning through the hole after removing the starter).

Funny how many different opinions there are (diesel oil or not - cleaning through the hole or not).

Someone wrote somewhere that using cleaning (spray, WD40 or what ever) could ruin your clutch (the main clutch) but someone else wrote the liquid you spay in, can't get to the clutch or maybe it would run out.

Oh boy opinions are like Adam Henry's (we all got one).

Today my plan is:

1. Run engine hot (if the starter will work  Very Happy ).
2. Put in the cleaning liquid I bought.
3. Run the engine 30 minutes (not ride).
4. Change oil and filter.
5. Cross my fingers.

Have a great weekend (here it is raining like H...  Crying or Very sad ).

59Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:25 pm

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
In 2nd gear BACKWARD bucking, helps normally.

And if back and forth jostling doesn't help: 
Drain engine oil, take the starter off, fill the hole on the starter motor housing with diesel up to the top, install the starter again and then put the K in 5th gear, push a few hundred meters! Then drain the diesel, drain oil filter and refill with engine oil …

You'll see how much dirt comes out

This helped me

Cheers

60Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:45 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
OK Chocolate just to be 100 % sure (when English is not your native language, especially technical words can be a challenge.

1. All oil out.
2. Take off the starter.
3. Get as much diesel FUEL into the hole so it gets to the Sprague Clutch.
4. Starter back in.
5. Push the bike forward in 5 gear about 100 meters.
6. Take out oil filter and clean it, and refill it with your normal oil.

I'm assuming the diesel fuel apparently finds it way from the Sprague Clutch and down in the oil filter. Right??

PS WTF is sauerkraut?? Even though I'm your neighbor I've always wondered scratch I know it is some sort of cabbage (and you might even put it on a hotdog Very Happy). Any one wondering why I ask, look at Chocolates country Very Happy

Last edited by Danish biker on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

61Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Ok mission accomplished.

Took a hard ride (up to top speed a couple of times).

Back home. Put the cleaning liquid in the engine. Started the bike and took a 1 km slow ride. Left the bike for 30 minutes running.

Drained the oil (and liquid). Almost like water in consistency.

Out with the oil filter and a new one in (yes I filled it with oil first).

New oil in the bike (never seen red oil before, except for chainsaws etc......ok it is now BLACK as any old oil, after a short start up, and hitting the gas a couple of times).

(quite a bit of smoke when hitting the gas).

103.395 km on the speedometer so we'll see how many km before the problem appears again (hopefully never).

PS Inside the plastic nut (the one you take off to put oil on the bike) there was grease (oil) like mayo (even same color). I have noticed through the oil level glass, some times???

62Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:55 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
The sediment on the oil fill plug might be antifreeze mixing with the oil. Your bike might have a small leak in the water pump seal. Keep an eye on that.

63Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:24 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
To many short trips in row when it's cold weather would cause this.

64Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:36 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
As Inge says. If the engine doesn't get hot enough to boil off the water contaminants then you'll end up with a white sludge in the oil. The usual recommendation is at least thirty miles / fifty-five Km to get the engine properly up to temperature. OTOH, if you're doing that every time and you've still got emulsion in the oil, then Rob could be right...

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

65Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sun May 01, 2016 5:51 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Inge K. wrote:To many short trips in row when it's cold weather would cause this.
 Hej min norske viking søster  Very Happy

The Mayo or the starter spinning without engageging? I'm all ears since you drive In colder weather then I do.

Ups Dai already answered. Yes 90 % of my rides are 14 km to work and 7-9 hours later 14 km back.

I don't think (and hope) it is water. In 8 or more years I've only had to refill cooler liquid twice and not really because I needed to, just because  it was a bit under max

66Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Wed May 04, 2016 12:22 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Update. Once yesterday (out of 3 starts) and once today (out of 3 starts), the starter spinned for max 2 sec and the engaged and started the engine. Don't know what to make of this? Guess I'll soon be looking for a German BMW bike garage close to the Danish border.

Oh by the way this link might be usefull:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/kstartersprag.htm

67Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Wed May 04, 2016 1:07 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
My regular trip to town is 14-16km and over time it does generate condensation in the engine. Not really noticed it on the K but definitely in the car. Not noticed in the K because it will always have at east one decent run of 2 hours during the week. However in one period it got no runs and noticed it. I don't have to top up coolant so that's not the cause.

Sauerkraut? Cabbage, my dad was a fan of it when we were young and only one place you would get it here. So plenty of it and pumpernickel to go with it.

Of course some might say its Angela Merkel on a bad day.

Now, if you are nice to 88 on this forum he might be able to tell you another way to sort the sprag clutch without using any spanners at all. There is a thread on it and we know it works.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

68Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Thu May 05, 2016 4:04 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:There is a thread on it and we know it works.
Link PLEASE

69Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Thu May 05, 2016 4:25 am

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Now, if you are nice to 88 on this forum he might be able to tell you another way to sort the sprag clutch without using any spanners at all. There is a thread on it and we know it works.

It seams that Olaf likes to make you hot! :-)
He is waiting for a beer otherwise he will not post the link.

Cheers

sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Baby-You-Make-Me-Feel-Hot-But-Not-Tonight

70Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Thu May 05, 2016 5:20 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
He, he actually VERY funny. How ever I don't "make out" on first date, som Twisted EvilTwisted EvilTwisted Evil You (said with only humor).

I'm already friends with 88 and the "drilling hole" issue has been provided long ago via direct contact Very Happy

My bad that I didn't recognize 88 as my Facebook friend (only know him via is real name). Just noticed a new possible way of fixing my problem, but as you can understand it has already been provided.

71Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Thu May 05, 2016 5:37 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Ah now I wasn't waiting for beer.

I was going to let 88 [Will] post up his experience with the hole for the sprag clutch but he has not yet had a chance.

I know the original thread is here somewhere but I did not get a chance to look for it. I think Will has refined it a bit more and has some very important suggestions. In simple terms you remove the sump plate under the engine [drain oil etc first], then drill into the engine from the outside, positioned so the hole in the sprag clutch is accessible through the hole you have just drilled. But its better to get the instructions direct from Will.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

72Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Thu May 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Will already offered to do the trick for me how ever Ireland  is unfurtenetly not on my "visit 2016" list Laughing

73Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:49 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
I
Danish biker wrote:103.395 km on the speedometer so we'll see how many km before the problem appears again (hopefully never).
105.500 km now. The problem has not returned.

So apparently the cleaning liquid and new oil and filter solved the problem.

74Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:40 pm

Life time member
Life time member
I've done the sticking sprag in the K75 and an intermittent sticking one in the K1100RS. 

With the right side (crank cover) off you can access the oilway holes in the sprag clutch. Turn the engine over gently you line it up where you can get a shot of cleaning oil in there.
sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 2016-010

The ring has 3 holes in it one is more rearward than the other two. Try to get oil in there soaking overnight and in each opening whilst turning it over slowly. 

sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 2016-011

I certainly will be doing this any time the crank cover is off.

Last edited by Crazy Frog on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : circled the hole where to inject cleaner :-))

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K75RTP - 1994

75Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:09 pm

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
thats invaluable knowledge , thank you 88.

http://www.airware.com.au

76Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:56 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great post Will

things that folks will always want to know

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

77Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:16 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
88 wrote:I've done the sticking sprag in the K75 and an intermittent sticking one in the K1100RS. 

With the right side (crank cover) off you can access the oilway holes in the sprag clutch. Turn the engine over gently you line it up where you can get a shot of cleaning oil in there. 

The ring has 3 holes in it one is more rearward than the other two. Try to get oil in there soaking overnight and in each opening whilst turning it over slowly. 

Brilliant. Now being on thin ice regarding the K1100 RS engine, could you post at picture of the cover, that need to be removed, from a distance?

Also what oil did you use to clean?

And last, do you change oil after this cleaning?

78Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:39 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Danish biker wrote:
could you post at picture of the cover, that need to be removed, from a distance?

sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Deksel10

79Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:03 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Inge K. wrote:
Danish biker wrote:
could you post at picture of the cover, that need to be removed, from a distance?

sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Deksel10

Thanks. Oh BTW how (where) do you turn the engine?

80Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:26 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:
Inge K. wrote:
Danish biker wrote:

Crank cases......as per Ingepedia   Laughing  sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 112350

Thanks. Oh BTW how (where) do you turn the engine?
I turned the engine with an allen key in the end of the crank shaft because I had the Cam chain cover off too. You can also turn it by putting the bike in gear and turning the wheel slowly but its not as precise. Use a higher gear and remove a spark plug or two to reduce the compression on the engine.

The oil I used in the K75 (which had a completely stuck solid sprague clutch) was an old Graphite based penetrating oil I had in the workshop and I soaked it for 3 days turning occasionally to put more oil in. It was difficult to get the oil in because it is not aerosol based. I used a small capillary tube from a medical drip and a syringe.

For the K1100 maintenance treatment I just used WD40 to flush it a bit. It had showed early signs of sticking but these have now gone away.

K75RTP - 1994

81Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would be inclined to use the carb and throttle body cleaner, it works almost instantly on disolving that crud build up.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

82Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:13 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Once more thanks.

Do you change oil after the cleaning process

83Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:12 am

Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:Once more thanks.

Do you change oil after the cleaning process
Yes, do the oil for sure.

@Rick G....why didn't I think of that !!! scratch 

(Probably becuase the Carb cleaner didn't fall off the shelf and hit me on the head  sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 161205)

K75RTP - 1994

84Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:37 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Dag Napid the problem is back again.

Got the bike out a month ago. Had to take off the front fork and get the shop to put new gaskets in. While the fork was off I changed the oil. Fork back on. Got all dressed this morning in order to go to work. Starter spinned but didn't connect. Crap.

Backed-up in second a couple of times. Nada!

Guess I'm back to egg.

I think I'll remove the crank cover. I´m asuming I'll have to drain the bike for oil first?

What tourge do the cover need to be tightened with, after the opreation with WD-40?

And where how will all the WD-40 (and dirt) get out of the engine??????

85Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:33 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Game on thanks to 88
Attachments
IMG_3042.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(42 Kb) Downloaded 23 times

86Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks to 88 I got it back working. Must have mailed 88 about 40 times and each time he gave me the needed advice

The three small holes was sprayed with WD-40. Every second hour the crank was turned and a new hole was sprayed. During these two hours I sprayed 3-5 times and gently tapped the gear. 20 times the gear was turned for next hole.  40 hours (plus too nights with out work) later the job was done.

87Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:46 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:Thanks to 88 I got it back working. Must have mailed 88 about 40 times and each time he gave me the needed advice

The three small holes was sprayed with WD-40. Every second hour the crank was turned, a new Tuborg was opened and a new hole was sprayed. During these two hours I sprayed 3-5 times and gently tapped the gear. 20 times the gear was turned for next hole.  40 hours (plus too nights with out work) and 2 boxes of Tuborg later the job was done.

Fixed that for you.

A brilliant outcome too.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

88Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:59 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Instead of using WD40 use some carb and throttle body cleaner and 2 or 3 applications and you're away.

89Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Mon May 01, 2017 6:58 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
RicK G wrote:Instead of using WD40 use some carb and throttle body cleaner and 2 or 3 applications and you're away.

But why? The WD-40 worked. Just joking I know why but I'm happy with the WD-40 technique. No I just hope the grid/dirt what ever will flush out with the oil change.

90Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Mon May 01, 2017 10:58 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Heaps quicker

91Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Mon May 01, 2017 12:14 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
RicK G wrote:Heaps quicker
Yes I can imagine how ever starting up the bike, running it hot to get a good oil change might not be as safe as when using WD-40.

92Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Mon May 01, 2017 12:58 pm

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:
Yes I can imagine how ever starting up the bike, running it hot to get a good oil change might not be as safe as when using WD-40.
The carb cleaner will evaporate before or during warming up the engine 
Nice job, geting it working again 👍

K- rider

93Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Mon May 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
k-rider wrote:
Danish biker wrote:
The carb cleaner will evaporate before or during warming up the engine 
Nice job, geting it working again 👍

K- rider

I'm extremely pleased. Of course i had just put in new Oil one day before the sprang clutch didn't engage so that was about $70 out the window. Oh well now i can go riding and enjoying my newly fixed fork.

tagaz

tagaz
Silver member
Silver member
Since the subject of oil has arisen: 

sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 0ee494d1-c53f-43d8-9d3d-f975adce9095_1.87cc071a4be8e39ba747b90c30319a9e

Shell Rotella T4 15W40 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RotT4TriProt15W40CJ4-3-1ugl-A0II/181236405

I have been using this for years now. Readily available, at least any where in the USA I have traveled. Used in 1981 R65, 1991 R100 & planning to continue forth using in my newly acquired 1985 K100RT. 

Just my 2¢ 

Troy

Last edited by tagaz on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:40 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added img)

95Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:41 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Rotella-t6-review
Another Rotella option is the T6 5-40 full synthetic.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

96Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:01 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
88 wrote:I've done the sticking sprag in the K75 and an intermittent sticking one in the K1100RS. 

Is this one of the holes you're referring to?
sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Starte10

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

97Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
duck wrote:sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Rotella-t6-review
Another Rotella option is the T6 5-40 full synthetic.

+1.  23 bucks at Walmart.  No need to send in the rebate.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

98Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:58 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Would the one to the left work better then normal WD-40

photo IMG_3876_zpslsgyicta.jpg

99Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sun May 13, 2018 8:25 pm

Packo

Packo
Silver member
Silver member
I have just gone through the sprague clutch saga
It was "frozen" solid and was unable to unstick it with back push in 3rd gear.
While at the auto parts store buying the diesel oil to do the oil change I noticed a product called Rislone - an engine treatment/cleaner for $12.99
Snowbum mentions it in his tech article - link earlier in this thread
This product can be used at anytime just pour it in, I did that and after a push start and about 4km and 15 minutes riding around the block the clutch freed up
I will still use the diesel oil for an oil change cycle as I have bought it at $43.95 for 5 ltr but is probably not necessary as the starter works fine again. For anyone looking for the cheaper, quicker and easiest option to free up the Sprague this product seems to clean it up ok. How long it will last is any bodies guess but it might be worth running it through the engine once a year or so just to keep it clean

83 K100 HRD Outfit
1992 K1100 Outfit
2003 R1150 GSA Outfit
1983 K100 Basic

100Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sun May 13, 2018 8:47 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Your $43:00 can of oil, is it a diesel flush oil as in high detergent? I was of the understanding that using diesel oil of any detergent level was better than the petrol oil equivalent. I am surprised to hear you bike's Starter has clogged whilst running Diesel Oil.

It would be interesting to see if the carby cleaner method would drop any more crud out of in there, since you've used the Rislone product. It would be a wise Idea to just buy some cheap az oil to flush out the crud on this oil change before using the good  Diesel Oil.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

101Back to top Go down   sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy - Page 2 Empty Re: sprag sprague clutch easy fix diy Sun May 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Packo

Packo
Silver member
Silver member
Sorry, I have been using petrol oil in the bike and the diesel oil was for the freeing up of the Sprague, I haven't put it in as yet
Diesel oil I bought was just normal in house repco stuff

83 K100 HRD Outfit
1992 K1100 Outfit
2003 R1150 GSA Outfit
1983 K100 Basic

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum