BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100 Cafe racer build. Empty K100 Cafe racer build. Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:41 am

greenhorn

greenhorn
Afternoon all.

I recently bought Nelly's K100 as a commuter (110 miles a day) after several years of getting increasingly fast and reckless on modern sports bikes. Time to cool things down a bit.

Being into custom bikes I decided to give the bike a mildish makeover.

So this is as it came to me, complete with rather large fairing that has just gone to a new home via ebay.
K100 Cafe racer build. <a href=K100 Cafe racer build. DSC_0302_zpsea931295" />

So far, I've fitted clip ons, indicators, bar-end mirrors and a headlight I had laying around from another build (1983 CB250, since you ask).
K100 Cafe racer build. <a href=K100 Cafe racer build. DSC_0395_zpse02b4409" />

I adapted the brackets and managed to refit the standard clocks in a not too ungainly way. And that was the way it was going to stay until I go back to commuting by train come October time.

However, the clocks are really starting to annoy me. Firstly, they are still pretty big and a bit visually unwieldy perched up on top there. Secondly, they're in KPH. And thirdly, the speedo needle wavers around like some demented dousing rod (not good with all London's speed cameras.) 

So one of this winter's projects may have the be bought forward.

I am planning on designing a new top yoke to take the ignition barrel (currently cable tied on) and a flush fitting analogue speedo. like this:
K100 Cafe racer build. <a href=K100 Cafe racer build. Vulcan-5_zps92bc03e9" />

The design side is fine as I do CAD work for a living. and I have various contacts for getting it CNCed.

But I am cacking myself about wiring up the speedo. I'm a dab hand with a soldering iron, but the intricacies of circuit design are all rather foreign. Even the thought of having to pick a unit and making sure that it's all compatible makes me nervous. I was tempted to just fit the simplest thing I could find, basically just a speedo running off a wheel mounted sensor. But it seems a shame, and would probably end up annoying me not to make use of some of the other instruments. I'm not bothered about a rev counter, or the brakes warning light. But the indicator lights are mandatory, and it would be useful to keep the neutral light and at least one fuel light.

So I might need a helping hand from you fine people. 

I guess first up is to find the right unit.

http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/d64-mph-speedometer-with-warning-lights-260-p.asp 

This is my first foray. I do like the Smiths gauges, but they are a bit pricey.

Any advise or suggestions would be more than welcome.

2Back to top Go down   K100 Cafe racer build. Empty Re: K100 Cafe racer build. Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:17 pm

koojo1962

I like where you going with your project Im also close to taking the plunge. Like you I rather like the information available on the stock bmw cluster however I was wondering if it would be possible to install the insides of the gauge into 2 slightly bigger Honda style CB750 gauge clusters Im aware that would require alot of modification in that much cutting to reshape the background plates would be required. If anyone has an old non functionning BMW K bike speedo they would like to get rid of for the sake of me trying this out please let me know, thanks.

3Back to top Go down   K100 Cafe racer build. Empty Re: K100 Cafe racer build. Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:50 pm

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
greenhorn, 
You could consider a GPS speedometer/tachometer. There's a bunch on the market currently so you're not stuck with one style either. Seems like an easy (albeit $$$y) solution.

4Back to top Go down   K100 Cafe racer build. Empty Re: K100 Cafe racer build. Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:01 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
greenhorn wrote:

I fitted Motogadets Classic speedo to my K75. It has a retro look like the Smiths without the price tag. It was fully compatible with the wiring on the K-bike. Read my blog to learn more (in the signature).

5Back to top Go down   K100 Cafe racer build. Empty Re: K100 Cafe racer build. Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:39 am

greenhorn

greenhorn
robmack wrote:
greenhorn wrote:

I fitted Motogadets Classic speedo to my K75.  It has a retro look like the Smiths without the price tag.  It was fully compatible with the wiring on the K-bike. Read my blog to learn more (in the signature).

Maybe Motogadget gauges are a tad cheaper on the other side of the pond. Over here that one is £420. Even the really cool classic Smith speedos are (only) £250. although that doesn't include any warning lights.

Lots of good info on your blog though. Thanks.

6Back to top Go down   K100 Cafe racer build. Empty Re: K100 Cafe racer build. Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 am

bryandarragh

bryandarragh
Hi Greenhorn

I have a k100rs which has had the fairing removed by previous owner, twin lights put on, and a new (well, used) silver tank put on by All bikes in Croydon. Check them out. Ex BMW bike mechanics without the silly price. And recommended by someone on this site

Have a look at my post, it has a nasty yellow tank in the pics.

Love the bike, dead easy to handle, despite the weight.

Like your self I am not keen on the instrument cluster, it was designed to sit amongst fairing after all.

It does sit a bit high and lumpy, spoiling the look.

I am going to update my post but have not really had enough done on it yet to warrant posting.

I like the black cafe racer you posted up. I had seen that before, very slick.

Check this one out;

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2013/07/moto-sumisura-bmw-k100.html

There is a bike shop in Camden Town:

http://victorymotorcycles.myshopify.com/pages/about

They know a lot about Cafe racers and where to get stuff for them. Might be worth checking out.

They are a small(ish) set up but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Where in London are you? I also live in London.

7Back to top Go down   K100 Cafe racer build. Empty Re: K100 Cafe racer build. Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:28 am

bryandarragh

bryandarragh
Also, seeing as you live in london, I personally would not get the wheels professional painted.

Me? I am planning on putting a key on all the silver metal/chrome, popping some etch primer on, and painting with matt black by hand and spray in those difficult to reach places.

Save yourself a packet!!

I once seen a guy on an old bike and he said that every few months he would just spray his bike with Halfords matt black.

Obviously care needed not to clog up important areas but  you get the drift, riding down the A13 into central London on a regular basis will soon destroy your £600 wheel paint job K100 Cafe racer build. 815479305

8Back to top Go down   K100 Cafe racer build. Empty Re: K100 Cafe racer build. Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:46 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
would you believe these blokes ...

"a boxer in line 4 "

to quote them

....nearly fell off my chair laughing

there are some nice adds there though with the braided lines covering the cables etc ... pretty cool

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   K100 Cafe racer build. Empty Re: K100 Cafe racer build. Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:41 am

greenhorn

greenhorn
This bike is definitely going to be no show pony as it'll be clocking up 550+ miles a week for 6 months of the year.

The current plan is to fit a new tail piece from Vonzeti over a substantially reworked subframe. finish the tail piece and tank in brushed steel. fit new exhausts like you see on old drag racers. the row of short upturned pipes, if you know what I mean. 

K100 Cafe racer build. Toyota-sequoia-sema-dream-build-side-pipes

A bit like this. Not sure what it will do to the power curve. Guess we'll just have to find out.

The rest of the bike will either be satin black or bare metal.

Job done, NEXT.....

Very Happy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum