BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K75 c Frame needed Empty K75 c Frame needed on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:12 am

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
I need a K75 frame because the one I acquired along with the rest of a K75 is cracked and has also been fixed previously just above the present cracks. So you can see why I am sort of reluctant to repair it.
I have considered grafting the rear end of a K100 frame onto it.
I don't want to pay very much coz I'm a stingy bugger and cant afford much, I spent all my money on wild women, Whisky and fast bikes and what was left over I wasted.
If anyone has one and wants rid of it PM me and I am sure we can arrange something.

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

2Back to top Go down   K75 c Frame needed Empty Re: K75 c Frame needed on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:49 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
@RicK G wrote:I need a K75 frame because the one I acquired along with the rest of a K75 is cracked and has also been fixed previously just above the present cracks. So you can see why I am sort of reluctant to repair it.
I have considered grafting the rear end of a K100 frame onto it.
I don't want to pay very much coz I'm a stingy bugger and cant afford much, I spent all my money on wild women, Whisky and fast bikes and what was left over I wasted.
If anyone has one and wants rid of it PM me and I am sure we can arrange something.

Only have 2 x K100 and 1 x K1100. Prob no help at all.

On the topic though, what does one do with a bunch of left over frames? They dont seem to be bought or sold very often....

3Back to top Go down   K75 c Frame needed Empty Re: K75 c Frame needed on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:53 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Recycle them.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   K75 c Frame needed Empty Re: K75 c Frame needed on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:00 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
@duck wrote:Recycle them.

Seems such a shame...

But it makes sense that as more bikes get dismantled and rebuilt that the over all number of K's reduces and the overall requirement/demand for frames reduces - before the requirement/demand of just about any other part reduces really.

Oh well...

Good luck Rick

5Back to top Go down   K75 c Frame needed Empty Re: K75 c Frame needed on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:26 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
As more builders cut into the existing frames to make cafe bikes, the supply of unmolested, titled frames lessen.  I think they will soon become a sought-after part.  If you have the space, hold onto them until the market demand increases (maybe many years hence, who's to know).

6Back to top Go down   K75 c Frame needed Empty Re: K75 c Frame needed on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:14 am

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
Gotta go to the big smoke to have a look at one in the next few days, so a nice ride coming up.
I like going to Brisbane, at least you can see and smell what you're breathing

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

7Back to top Go down   K75 c Frame needed Empty K75 c Frame needed on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:02 pm

jimmy62alan

jimmy62alan
I got my K100 RT 1985 frame and log book off ebay for £30 for my diesel Bmw project and if anyone has any surplus frames I would suggest going on the diesel bike forums and selling them there. They will sell quicker with V5 log books but they should still sell for one off projects. 
ALAN

8Back to top Go down   K75 c Frame needed Empty Re: K75 c Frame needed on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:14 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
If the frame comes off a bike that is an insurance write off, then it is very difficult if not impossible to have the frame re-registered after a rebuild.  However, if unregistered and not listed as  "stolen", then there should be no problems except from proving ownership. With the coming of the electronic age, every little number is stored and there will be vehicle records for years to come.

As Rob suggests and you feel like keeping a stash in the back of the shed, then they may be worth money someday.  Is there a market for aftermarket K frames yet?  If there is, then they won't be cheap.

9Back to top Go down   K75 c Frame needed Empty Re: K75 c Frame needed on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:10 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sad to hear rick ....good luck finding another

if your round here don't forget we are closed down in and around the city on Friday Saturday Sunday ...g20 stuff

but ill be home if you want to call in

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OK75 c Frame needed Au-log10

"redframe" rs "bitsa"  with many contributions from the k100 community ,,with many thanks

10Back to top Go down   K75 c Frame needed Empty Re: K75 c Frame needed on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:54 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
On eBay US there are any number of frames available, last check, a dozen. Many of them are sold without papers, making them all but useless unless you live in a US state where re-titling is easy, like Idaho.

I bought one from a salvage dealer in Pennsylvania with a PA title and bill of sale for $99 plus shipping - he wrapped the thing in a silver tarp and taped the ends with cardboard, then sent it via Fedex. I applauded his minimalist thinking, but the frame arrived with some dents near the steering head bearings. It will be under the top triple clamp so no big woops. So you pays yer moneys and you takes yer chances.

Anyway, they're out there.

As for them being cut up, the quarterly BMW Motorrad magazine has a spread on Ben from BSK Speedworks (a good article) and the past two issues have had custom K bikes featured. It seems 'our little secret' has not-so-quietly-nor-rapidly been sprung. As the press responds to the idea of custom bike shops and backshed tinkerers fabbing up some interesting bikes, so do the copiers. It's not new, of course, has been happening with Beemers and even Ks for a while now, but the interest is growing as folk realise the incredible durability, styling (subjective, of course) and build quality of historical BMWs.

The Seattle/Tacoma area alone recently has seen a surge in people wanting to retro or restore older Ks - they walk in and enquire about spares all of the time where I work. Because they're cheap, because they're plentiful, and because they're reliable, they're having a resurgance in the market and with that prices and availability are gunna rise. Until, hopefully like all things fickle and faddy, the interest drops, and we can go back to our beloved K bikes, our tools and our scribblings and just we scant forum members can have it all back again, our way.

One can only dream.

1987 K100RS, '89 K100 w/K1100RS engine, '93 Framed K11/K12 engine 'Big Block', '96 K1100RS, '09 K1300GT, '13 R1200RT-P, '95 R100 Mystic & '77 R75/7.

11Back to top Go down   K75 c Frame needed Empty Re: K75 c Frame needed on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:48 pm

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
@Two Wheels Better wrote:...As for them being cut up, the quarterly BMW Motorrad magazine has a spread on Ben from BSK Speedworks (a good article) and the past two issues have had custom K bikes featured. It seems 'our little secret' has not-so-quietly-nor-rapidly been sprung. 
Definitely TWB. Been watching this trend ruefully. Thinking of buying a parts-bin or restore candidate K'er and just stow it away, appreciating either way. 

Meanwhile, watching the cutting and welding goings on brings mixed feelings. Don't know why but I nearly always lean towards restoration over kustomization.

Last edited by Kyle10 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spellink)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum