BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Fitting different coils on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:02 am

floyd

Life time member
Life time member
Can the electrickery gurus please advise:

Would one be able to modify the stock K100 wiring loom to acceptTHESE COILSfrom BSK Speedworks with no probs?

They use them on their K100 race bike with an alternative electronic fuel injection system and these coils plug directly into their bespoke wiring loom.

Only reason I ask is it seems a good price for brand new coils and RAM leads. For about the same price as 2nd hand orange stack coils and the RAM leads you can get this.

They only have 3 wires going in, instead of the 5 or so in the stock coils....

2Back to top Go down    Re: Fitting different coils on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:22 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
They are the K1200 coils and have the same output voltage and impedance as the K1100 coils but come as a single item.
The primary resistance is 1.2 ohms as against the near 3 ohms of the K100 coils.
You could probably use a 2.2ohm resistor in each primary feed but that will lower the output voltage by about half or a bit more which would be heaps enough to electrocute a rat but may cause problems with a K100.
Give me a while and I will check out some other things.
That didn't take long
http://accel-motorcycle.com/motorcylce-and-atv/ignition-coils/universal-super-coils-black.html

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now

3Back to top Go down    Re: Fitting different coils on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:11 am

Inge K.

VIP
VIP
@RicK G wrote:They are the K1200 coils and have the same output voltage and impedance as the K1100 coils but come as a single item.
The coils for the K1200 look a bit different..............

The coils from BSK is for a Ford Mondeo III 1.8, I would guess that the spec is different.

4Back to top Go down    Re: Fitting different coils on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:19 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Ah Ha Ingapedia strikes again. I remember that he runs an after market FI system and I would assume that the ignition is integral with it, so who but Ben knows and that may be a trade secret.

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now

5Back to top Go down    Re: Fitting different coils on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:05 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
NOOO...! do not use a resistor to load up the impedances of the primary coils ....it will just act as a huge current limit with unwanted side affects

would be better to use a higher resistance - impedance coil than to use a lower one and load it up with any resistor

just what make sense to me

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

6Back to top Go down    Re: Fitting different coils on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:00 pm

woodgeek

@RicK G wrote:Give me a while and I will check out some other things.
That didn't take long
http://accel-motorcycle.com/motorcylce-and-atv/ignition-coils/universal-super-coils-black.html
Has anyone documented fitting Accel universal coils to their K? My 1985 K100 has the original, solid black coils and one of them measures bad.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum