BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
This past weekend the local Seattle area club known as the VME held their annual Vashon Island classic meet. It's a friendly little gathering of like-minded motorbike enthusiasts with Saturday night camping at the local Eagle's club hall, a all-island road rally with a poker hand and prizes, a best-in-show judging and general moto tragic mayhem. I'd arranged to meet up with a coupla mates at Tacoma's Point Defiance ferry which carries bikes, cars and trucks across the 1.8 mile narrow to Tahlequah on Vashon Island, located in the Puget Sound.

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Puget-10
The island(s) in question, Vashon and Maury, are located directly above Tacoma on this map.

Picture if you will a massive almost-inland saltwater sea from Vancouver Island, Canada, through the Strait of Juan De Fuca, past the San Juan Islands, Seattle, Tacoma and down into the interior of Western Washington state near the state capital of Olympia and beyond.

The typical marine layer of cloud was low-hanging and heavy as we rolled up to the ferry queue on the Mighty K at about 8.00AM. It would remain true to its Summer routine and burn off quickly. We were requested to head straight to the front because the ferry crew want the bikes on, off and away first! Biker's privilege has its benefits at these times. Already nearly a hundred bikes of all makes and models, ages and states of repair and disrepair, had assembled, and that wasn't the first ferry crossing of the morning, nor was it the only ferry to make the journey to the Island. Another comes in from the north at Fauntleroy in West Seattle.

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3910

We chatted and caught up. I'd not seen some of these riders for two years or more. The tall gent in the red 'Stich at the back is none other than Clement Salvadori from Rider magazine. He'd ridden up from California in a test of the new GS Adventure pictured here. He said he was worried about the back tyre having worn so quickly at only 3,500 miles as he had an approximately 1500 mile return ride home. I suggested he'd better be concerned about the rear brake pads since they seem to be lasting only about 6-9,000 miles on the new wasserboxers. In minutes we were told to roll onboard. Some of the oldies coughed and spluttered as the heady scent of unspent fuel (as well as the blue haze of oil) filled the nostrils, reminding some of us why fuel injection is eons away from out of adjustment Amal carbs on a '50s Trumpy and a damp morning.

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3911

The Puget Sound ferry system is the largest in North America. Here, the 83 metre-long (274'), 6000 horsepower of the dual diesel-engined ferry Chetzemoka accepts a coupla hundred bikes and dozens of (up to 64) cars and trucks.

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3912

At the other end of the crossing we are off and away, heading up the Old Vashon highway through forests dense with pine, oak and madrone (mu-drona) trees (reminiscent of a gum tree in how it sheds its, albeit red, bark).

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3913
Bikes away into the distance.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3914

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3915

Tide's out as we round the bay and approach the village of Burton, which sits mid-island.

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3916

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3917

A real Aussie gum tree, unusual this far north on the US west coast, sits thriving and healthy, square in the middle of the town park of Vashon where the weekly farmer's market is held. The scent, and the gum nuts scattered round the footpath, made me feel a wee bit homesick.

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3918

Vashon's main street comes alive with sound of old British singles and twins from, amongst others, Triumph, BSA, Vincent & Velocette. As well as thundering Harleys, an old Singer, Morgan three-wheelers, ancient sidecars, open-piped, clubman-barred Japanese bikes - some with more muffler wrap than any exhaust pipe needs - and a smattering of well-cared for BMW boxer twins, some sporting massive Hoske and Heinrich tanks. I spotted a few K bikes here and there but the love isn't shown quite yet for our beloved Bricks in the Seattle vintage and classic scene. That may be a good thing!

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3919

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3920

True to form the morning clouds had burnt off revealing a sunny blue sky with temps reaching 79F degrees (26C), perfect weather to highlight your tan and yet still comfortable enough for wearing your protective gear whilst riding. The many colourful characters were out, some in scarves and jodhpurs with knee-high leather riding boots, sidecars with passengers and riders sporting puddle bowl (basin) helmets, goggles and ragged leathers from a bygone era.

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3921

We parked, wandered round admiring the bikes for a bit then found an all-American diner for a quick brekky and a cuppa. The tea wasn't bad. The breakfast burrito was killer. The extra wait was expected for a town so full of moto-riding guests. The place is called Zombie's. I recommend it.

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3922

Here's my mate Peter and his most loverly wife Jennie passing by us on their home-built, Suzuki Cavalcade-powered, Ural-chaired, cammo-painted, beast known as 'Ratacade'.

And now for some of the bikes, local colour and scenery...

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3923
Go anywhere.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3924
Lone wolf K.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3925
Ducati's better days?
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3926
A very clean FJ.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3927
High bar'd Trumpy. Triumph's better days? I think not.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_4010
Elvis could have ridden this!
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3928
Rear shock adjustment copied by Larry R on the drum braked K1200 as interviwed by Jay Leno recently.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3929
Made to tour.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3936
Hardtail...we've got a sprung seat.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3930
Arrest me red.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3931
A 'real' Injun.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_4011
Head turner.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3932

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3933

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3934
Americana.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_3935

What's a hotrod without a pretty girl posing next to it? I couldn't get her to drape herself over the bonnet and pout...

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_4012

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_4013

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_4014

We rode round the island and onto the smaller Maury Island for a look-see at the old lighthouse and the view across the narrows to Burien, a suburb just south of Seattle. The blackberries are ripe and so we plucked and ate until our fingers and lips were blue, the few sharp thorns no worries due to the sweet taste of the fruit.

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet Img_4015

With a few minutes to wait 'til the ferry returned from across Commencement Bay, we queued up and chatted with new mates and old. The Old Town section of Tacoma has our favourite pub known as The Spar, so on the way home we stopped for a pint or two of Guinness and a nibble just as a local five-piece rhythm and blues band set up for their Sunday evening's sesh in the crowded bar. The day ended late, sunburnt, and with smiles all round.

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
TWB, thanks for a lovely post! Words don't describe it but the photos are everything.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Delightful!  Another bucket list item yet to be fulfilled Sad 
I'd made my mind up that I'd attend this event once I had retired.  Well, this year I attained that milestone and wouldn't you know it -- I forgot to put this rally on the calendar!  Too many senior moments, that's for sure.
Oh well, perhaps next year.
One of the challenges you face in attending this event is the fact that it purposely is not advertised, so it's easy to overlook when planning the riding season.
Thanks a heap for posting the report.  Grand job you did! cheers

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
You're Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet 177912  It was a very good day.

Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast's Isle of Vashon classic meet 22936

Brickrider wrote:
"One of the challenges you face in attending this event is the fact that it purposely is not advertised, so it's easy to overlook when planning the riding season. Thanks a heap for posting the report.  Grand job you did!"

You're correct, it's not advertised any longer due to the few who would do stoppies, wheelies and smokies in front of the mostly tolerant locals. Although I did spot a youngster on a non-plated dirtbike lofting the front wheel in the main street. Little did he know the local sheriff was 15' behind him in an unmarked Taurus. He noticed when the blueberries and cherries lit up and a stern voice came over the loudspeaker. You could see him sh*t himself. Otherwise, It was all calm and relaxed.

two66mhz

two66mhz
Dang it, I was just over there a week before the event. I am not kinda upset with the islanders I know. They should have warned me. But I can't blame them all, it is truely my fault for not looking at the local adverts on the community boards. Props on the good write-up on WSF.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looks a great day out dazza

lots of pretty things to see ....sweet !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
charlie99 wrote:looks a great day out dazza
lots of pretty things to see ....sweet !
Ta, Chazza. It was one of those easy-going, moto bliss sort of days. Yes indeed, lotsa eye-candy to have a squiz at. I hear there's possibly gunna be a VMCC or somesuch other club vintage motorbike weekend going on in Clunes, Vic the weekend of the Far Cairn. My uncle is often a judge of the concours bikes. I see another good moto day in the near future.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The Victorian Rally season is on again. You can fill in every weekend to Christmas with Rallies there if you like them.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
RicK G wrote:The Victorian Rally season is on again. You can fill in every weekend to Christmas with Rallies there if you like them.
What I'd really like to see whilst in Clunes, is some of the original Mad Max bikes built by the Frenchy mayor of Bicheno, as that was one of the places where the flick was filmed, but, alas, I hear they're all powdered metal by now.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum