BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Neutral Function Empty Neutral Function Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:36 pm

KafeRacer

KafeRacer
Silver member
Silver member
I am planning to use the existing gear indication display relocated in the main fuse box to power the neutral indicator on my Dakota digital instrument cluster and to allow the bike to start in neutral without pulling the clutch.

I just need to verify the pin out on the gear indicator circuit board.  I think I have it mostly sorted out.  Can anyone help me verify.

Pin 31 - Ground
Leerl - Provides 12+ to Neutral Bulb, and goes through -->|-- diode to the black/green wire that provides 12+ to the starter relay.
C - Yellow - White from Gear Pos Switch
B - Yellow - Black from Gear Pos Switch
A - Yellow - Blue from Gear Pos Switch
15 - Power 12+ from Green/Black wire from fuse 1.

I believe Pin 31 is ground because the ground on the Gear Position Switch is labeled as 31.  Pin 15 connects to pin 6 from on the back of the instrument cluster which I read was the Green/Black +12 wire from fuse 1.

1990 K75RT
1985 K100 Kafe Racer
http://kaferacer.wordpress.com

2Back to top Go down   Neutral Function Empty Re: Neutral Function Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:54 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
you are right about the circuit board

haven't followed up the wiring pinout as of yet though

but it does make sense

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Neutral Function Empty Re: Neutral Function Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:34 am

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
KafeRacer wrote:I am planning to use the existing gear indication display relocated in the main fuse box to power the neutral indicator on my Dakota digital instrument cluster and to allow the bike to start in neutral without pulling the clutch.

I just need to verify the pin out on the gear indicator circuit board.  I think I have it mostly sorted out.  Can anyone help me verify.

Pin 31 - Ground
Leerl - Provides 12+ to Neutral Bulb, and goes through -->|-- diode to the black/green wire that provides 12+ to the starter relay.
C - Yellow - White from Gear Pos Switch
B - Yellow - Black from Gear Pos Switch
A - Yellow - Blue from Gear Pos Switch
15 - Power 12+ from Green/Black wire from fuse 1.

I believe Pin 31 is ground because the ground on the Gear Position Switch is labeled as 31.  Pin 15 connects to pin 6 from on the back of the instrument cluster which I read was the Green/Black +12 wire from fuse 1.
try following this schematic of the wiring diagram. I think 31 is Ground

http://classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/kwiring/Early%20K75%20K100/K100_Early_Wiring_Diagram.jpeg

from here:

http://classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/kwiring/kwiring.htm

and:

http://classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/ckb.tech.toc.htm

4Back to top Go down   Neutral Function Empty Re: Neutral Function Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:17 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
About vehicles which using the DIN norm for the terminal designation,
it is three numbers that is good to keep in mind.

15 is always switched power.
30 is always unswitched power.
31 is always ground.

5Back to top Go down   Neutral Function Empty Re: Neutral Function Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:21 am

KafeRacer

KafeRacer
Silver member
Silver member
Inge K. wrote:About vehicles which using the DIN norm for the terminal designation,
it is three numbers that is good to keep in mind.

15 is always switched power.
30 is always unswitched power.
31 is always ground.

Thanks,  That should be quite usefull.

Cheers.

1990 K75RT
1985 K100 Kafe Racer

6Back to top Go down   Neutral Function Empty Re: Neutral Function Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:23 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Neutral Function 112350

7Back to top Go down   Neutral Function Empty Re: Neutral Function Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:29 am

KafeRacer

KafeRacer
Silver member
Silver member
Update....

I successfully relocated the gear indicator from the instrument cluster to under the seat in the fuse box.  It is now wired and displaying the correct gear (not that I will ever see it in its new home).  The bike will now start in neutral without the clutch, and I have a wire that provides +12v when the bike is in neutral.

Unfortunately the Dakota digital unit wants a ground to indicate neutral.  So the next step is to have the +12v neutral wire power a relay that when closed will provide a ground to the Dakota digital unit.  I also have to make a mount for the gear indicator so it isn't just floating around in the fuse box.

Photos to follow.

Thanks for the great links.  I have used the interactive diagram on the portal a ton this week.

Cheers.  

Dave.

1990 K75RT
1985 K100 Kafe Racer

8Back to top Go down   Neutral Function Empty Re: Neutral Function Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good onya dave

the lcd display should outlast the rest of the bike ...hidden under there .....giggles

please keep in mind the, output switching transistor is only rated up to about an amp ...so keep the load smallish (like a good high impedance relay )knowing that you are using the other things already
cheers !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum