BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Metal Fatigue ?? on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:23 am

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
I pulled in to the garage the other night after a lovely long ride and went to park the bike up for the night as usual, on it's main stand, only to find that, upon doing so, I promptly lost balance and the bike fell over to the right, landing the pannier on the car, at over 45 degree angle

WTF . . . ??? @#$#F . . is going on here , I thought.

My partner thought I had lost my balance and was having a stroke or something a bit more sinister

Thankfully that was not the case

This was: mainstand BROKE!

I have to put it down to fatigue, given that the stand was off the other wreck I obtained last year which had sat under a house at the beach for 10 years and everything else on the bike was so rusty it wasn't funny. I binned the frame due to that

Fortunately I had not sold on or disposed of the original one but that one did get some new feet welded on to the side and main stands, and a paintjob, so its all good now and I was not off the road for longer than a day :-)))

2Back to top Go down    Re: Metal Fatigue ?? on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:47 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
I have 4 centre stands here and all have been broken at some time. At a guess I would say that about 60 - 70% of them break at some time.

3Back to top Go down    Re: Metal Fatigue ?? on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:54 am

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:I have 4 centre stands here and all have been broken at some time. At a guess I would say that about 60 - 70% of them break at some time.
Thanks for that. At least I know now that this is not a one off unique to me

4Back to top Go down    Re: Metal Fatigue ?? on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:45 am

Two Wheels Better

A good mod for a buggered K100 stand is to either weld it up as you've done or use a more robust K11 side/centre stand assemblage. They bolt right on and unless you've done some tyre/wheel width mods you'll be laughing. If wider wheels have been fitted then (as I did, at least) grinding away a bit of the inner left hand side centre stand foot allows for sufficient clearance of the tyre to move unimpeded through its suspension travel. There are many out there on eBay and the like for not a lot of dosh.

Good catch. No damage to the bike or car, then, just the ego?

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K12 Big Block, '94 R100 Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & '09 K1300GT

5Back to top Go down    Re: Metal Fatigue ?? on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:01 pm

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:A good mod for a buggered K100 stand is to either weld it up as you've done or use a more robust K11 side/centre stand assemblage. They bolt right on and unless you've done some tyre/wheel width mods you'll be laughing. If wider wheels have been fitted then (as I did, at least) grinding away a bit of the inner left hand side centre stand foot allows for sufficient clearance of the tyre to move unimpeded through its suspension travel. There are many out there on eBay and the like for not a lot of dosh.

Good catch. No damage to the bike or car, then, just the ego?
No damage at all. Thanks for the info. Will be looking into this more

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum