BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    564 k Journey on Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:00 pm

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Did a major trip today totaling 564 kilometers.Took 4 hours one way and 4 hours the other. Got assore after the first 2 hours in the saddle

It took us in pretty much a straight line from one town about half way up the northern island to about the top third of the isle.

The bad news is it was a labor weekend public holiday weekend so the place was crawling with cops and speed camera vans.

This meant the vast majority of the ride was very sedate riding style and little exceeding any posted speed limits.

The good news is we never got any speeding tickets and the bike was cheap as chips to run.

From a full tank when we left I spent a total of $72.00 nzd,  = 38.34 litres and got back in to town @ 559 kilometres when the petrol light came on, so another $?? to fillerup again. 

Not to bad considering we managed to pass pretty much everything on the road at certain times it's a lot of fun for very little money

Also, the best news, My partner actually felt so safe she ended up not feeling as though she had to hold on to her best mate anymore (nicknamed  . .  get this . . . "grim death!") and was quite happy just sitting on the back. This is awesome news for her because, prior to meeting me she had a nasty fall as a pillion @ 50kph which left her very badly shaken, however her confidence has  fully restored.

I told her that's fine, not to hang on when we are loafing along @ 100kph being  "good boy" but to always hang on whenever we are out and about hooning around town and on the back roads, as you never know when the urge to accelerate might strike :-)))

This is where we went:

And what we saw ! Some of Whangarei!

Below is a unique structure which won the Austalasia Stucture of teh year award for structures under 2500ft in 2011

And then there was "THE BIRD!"  . . . . . .

Now . .  This bird . . . .When the wind blew, it FLEW. . .  and me, being the bright eyed Kiwi that I am, actually thought the thing was REAL!!! . . until it dawned on me, about 10 minutes later. the thing was tied to a string !!! . . . . . . . lol :-))) . .  I don't know . . and this is a guy who is in charge of a lethal K !!! . . .wowo . . . . lol

So . .  then . . the woman . . confessed that . .  SHE THOUGHT IT WAS REAL TOO !!!!!!!

Anyway . . we had a great laugh, an expensive lunch (costing more than it did to get there!) and a nice , safe, sedate ride and met some rele's never before seen so overall it was a great day, albeit a bit stiff and tired when we got back

The photos are not of the highest quality, taken from a cheaper model cellphone, but they depict the beautiful day etc

All good in the hood, the bike performing flawlessly and the pillion doing the same. Amazing actually. The only woman I have ever known who does not moan or want to stop after 3 hours straight in the saddle @ 100kph (oh.  . . . how  . .  Boring!!. .  especially on the back of the bike . .  )

Overall this ride was a great way to begin the new season

Now it's time for a drink I think :-)))

2Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Mossy1200

Platinum member
Platinum member
Brave doing that trip on a long weekend with a 4km tolerance.

3Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:49 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Wangerai - didn't Douglas Lilburn write a piece of music about that place or have I got it confused with somewhere else? (Not Drysdale; I've got that piece somewhere).

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

4Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:06 pm

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:Wangerai - didn't Douglas Lilburn write a piece of music about that place or have I got it confused with somewhere else? (Not Drysdale; I've got that piece somewhere).
you know your musicians. I have never heard of him before till I read your post here. If you want to know more about HIM you can go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Lilburn

5Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Mossy1200 wrote:Brave doing that trip on a long weekend with a 4km tolerance.
I know man . . but . . . the weirdest thing was, either my speedo is out or the cops were asleep. A lot of the passing manouvres I was doing wasn't exactly legal. I was expecting to get pulled up on several occasions but it just didn't happen!

6Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:41 am

k-rider

Life time member
Life time member
that looks like a nice trip , and a good distance for a day trip, Shocked

well done  Cool

k-rider

7Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:42 am

Mossy1200

Platinum member
Platinum member
Be made wrote:
Mossy1200 wrote:Brave doing that trip on a long weekend with a 4km tolerance.
I know man . . but . . . the weirdest thing was, either my speedo is out or the cops were asleep. A lot of the passing manouvres I was doing wasn't exactly legal. I was expecting to get pulled up on several occasions but it just didn't happen!
You want to try towing a trailer with the limit at 90 on a bike with 220 rwhp and a drag ecu map. :silent:

8Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:05 am

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Mossy1200 wrote:You want to try towing a trailer 
Thanks anyway but . .  . I think I will pass on that one. It is hard enough at times navigating through all the crazy car drivers let alone being twice as long and heavy laden

9Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:24 am

Mossy1200

Platinum member
Platinum member
Be made wrote:
Mossy1200 wrote:You want to try towing a trailer 
Thanks anyway but . .  . I think I will pass on that one. It is hard enough at times navigating through all the crazy car drivers let alone being twice as long and heavy laden
That's why your out riding the holiday weekend and im at home polishing the bike I should be riding.
Not really im on call for work. Trailers not on the bike at moment and the weather was good for a change.
Had to swap on call week with someone as the drag and flying quarters is on the 8th which would be my normal on call weekend.

10Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:03 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
A really great post and perfect length for a day trip. Its good to have someone who will go pillion too. I suspect a few green eyes there.

But fuel consumption interested me. I would figure about 35 litres for that trip? Seems to me you two had quite a run with some spritely overtaking and passing manouvres!!

11Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:19 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
"Lilburn was born in Wanganui."

Close, but no dice. If you have an interest in classical music I find him worth listening to.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

12Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:07 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I thought I knew my classical music and had not heard of him either. Very impressive indeed and won't be long before some of his music is winging my way. Has me thinking of Felix Mendehlsson and his trip to the Hebrides and Fingal's Cave. Don't expect to see a photo of a K there anyway......

Of course Hamilton Harty being from up Dai's way is good. ....

13Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:00 am

WandererK1

Silver member
Silver member
Nice ride an a great place to go for a good lunch, my old stomping grounds north of Auckland, though not been there in a age, Hw 16 is also a awesome ride... Lucky you with a partner who likes the bike an tripping, now if only I could find me one of those, has she got a sister, lol...  Very Happy

Jeremy

14Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:51 am

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
WandererK1 wrote:Nice ride an a great place to go for a good lunch, my old stomping grounds north of Auckland, though not been there in a age, Hw 16 is also a awesome ride... Lucky you with a partner who likes the bike an tripping, now if only I could find me one of those, has she got a sister, lol...  Very Happy

Jeremy
She has but she be married. dang. Will have to do HW16 soon methinks

15Back to top Go down    Re: 564 k Journey on Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:53 am

WandererK1

Silver member
Silver member
Be made wrote:
WandererK1 wrote:Nice ride an a great place to go for a good lunch, my old stomping grounds north of Auckland, though not been there in a age, Hw 16 is also a awesome ride... Lucky you with a partner who likes the bike an tripping, now if only I could find me one of those, has she got a sister, lol...  Very Happy

Jeremy
She has but she be married. dang. Will have to do HW16 soon methinks

Bugga, ohhh well il keep  looking haha... Need to go ride 16 myself, did have a bit of a run up it recently out test riding a K1300S, was rather a quick ride to...  Very Happy

16Back to top Go down    Revised Fuel economy figures on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:16 pm

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Total to fillerup from the petrol light to the brim is 17.45 litres + 9 kilometeres done with the light on so volume of fuel used for the trip of 564 + 9 ks (573 ks total) was 36.62 litres so = 6.3909 litres per 100 kilometers approx as I did around 20 k's before leaving town at the beginning fo the trip so about 35 litres is a pretty good estimate

The best thing is I know I can do 285ks from full to light on now.

I did not know prior to this trip

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum